Classical currently spinning thread

18 hours ago, att23 said:

Bach 6 suites for cello solo by Pieter Wispelwey. I love this new 2017 version of his. 

AD0D67E2-6D1A-4AB8-B32C-8E2B207041AB.jpeg

He is my top 3 cellist, I saw him twice at Sydney playing the suites, that were his second and the current version.

Amazing guy, unfortunately he left Channel Classics and not issuing as many albums as before...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

One time when coloured vinyl is OK... 

Anyone have info on the year? No English suggesting release year and nothing on Discogs.

2B7419E0-1D10-4C0A-8AB6-693D8765C3C7.thumb.jpeg.9f50c4851c1915018627aeef922a59b1.jpeg92C71634-2CD6-45E5-AB09-81E67853A6CB.thumb.jpeg.849b760d78aee83b8f6e0817f43a3f49.jpeg

Good question, try this site for stereophonic series http://www.watsonrecords.co.uk/sell-your-collection/vinyl-records/guide-to-selling-classical-records/hmv/# the only problem is your copy does not appear to be an ASD series, so none the wiser!

22 minutes ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Good question, try this site for stereophonic series http://www.watsonrecords.co.uk/sell-your-collection/vinyl-records/guide-to-selling-classical-records/hmv/# the only problem is your copy does not appear to be an ASD series, so none the wiser!

Interesting, thank you for the link. It remains a mystery! My only irk with covers that have no English on them is that they often too don’t have a Discogs page, so there isn’t much to read while listening! 

11 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Interesting, thank you for the link. It remains a mystery! My only irk with covers that have no English on them is that they often too don’t have a Discogs page, so there isn’t much to read while listening! 

OK, is it a Japanese pressing then. looks like it with the red wax? are you going to put it on discogs, as it is quite a gap? one of the Australian SAXO pressings listed there is mine. I can take a picture of the liner notes from my SAXO pressing & post it here, just give me a few days. 

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters

5 hours ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

OK, is it a Japanese pressing then. looks like it with the red wax? are you going to put it on discogs, as it is quite a gap? one of the Australian SAXO pressings listed there is mine. I can take a picture of the liner notes from my SAXO pressing & post it here, just give me a few days. 

Yep, Japanese pressing. I might add it to Discogs tonight then. I’ll have a closer look at the other four albums that came in with this one as none were on Discogs.

Kind offer on the liner notes, thanks - when you can! 

3 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Yep, Japanese pressing. I might add it to Discogs tonight then. I’ll have a closer look at the other four albums that came in with this one as none were on Discogs.

Kind offer on the liner notes, thanks - when you can! 

No problemo, will probably be next week, trying to get ready for the record fair this Sat.

Reine Flachot,   ‎Johann Sebastian Bach – Suiten Für Violoncello Solo.  Saphir ‎ 25 785-7 SX/1-2  Intercord Klassische Discothek  2 × Vinyl, LP  1975, Germany.

An under the radar, forgotten artist, was not that chuffed with the opening suites, on Side 1, but entranced with side 2.  Will replay S1 before side 3&4 tomorrow.  

Suiten Für Violoncello Solo  (Vinyl, LP) album cover

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, att23 said:

@crtexcnndrm99 @jazzdog@groovemasters

Yep, mine also says 1959

My copy pictured above is a C. 1986 reissue, with original the liner notes reproduced. I can't find my 1960s SAXO copy to double check & the photo of it that I put on discogs is very blurry.

43 minutes ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

My copy pictured above is a C. 1986 reissue, with original the liner notes reproduced. I can't find my 1960s SAXO copy to double check & the photo of it that I put on discogs is very blurry.

Discog doesn’t say when mine was reissued.  I was just confirming the original recording was 1959, as shown in the centre label. Mine would be one of those later reissues too. 
Edit: Most likely mid to late 70s

Edited by att23
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, att23 said:

Discog doesn’t say when mine was reissued.  I was just confirming the original recording was 1959, as shown in the centre label. Mine would be one of those later reissues too. 

Thanks for the info guys. In seeing the US album cover I have a feeling I may have another copy of this.. 

Last night I played a minty Oistrakh recording from the same bundle which was live - some Russian radio (I’ll have to check) - on Melodiya, and I dare say it sounded even better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, att23 said:

I have never seen that pressing either, would be good to add to discogs if you have a spare moment.

To Top