Classical currently spinning thread

Chopin project.

Many people know Alice Sara Ott (piano), Olafur Arnalds (piano/synthesizers), but I wanna mention there’s also lesser known musicians in the recording - Mari Samuelsen (violin), and also a string quintet in support. 

FB675271-7BD1-467F-B4DF-887AB7EA1F51.jpeg

Edited by att23
  • Like 1

R-10748409-1503594543-4428.jpeg.jpg

Roberte Mamou - John Field: 15 Nocturnes -- yoinked this CD recently for $1 ... apparently the Irishman Mr Field wrote the first nocturnes (short romantic lyrical piano pieces) back in the early 1800s, but then along came Chopin with his nocturnes and ballades and mazurkas and whatnot and everyone kinda forgot the O.G. Nocturninator. To be fair, Chopin really did take Field's style much further, so these pieces are mainly of historical interest, but still not a bad listen.

--Geoff

• Like 1

be8b8Pc.jpg

Peitro Spada - John Field: Complete Piano Music -- I'd only just discovered the Irish composer John Field last week when I picked up a CD of nocturnes (see a few posts above) and today I stumble upon this 6xCD box of the complete piano works for $2.  It looks like a budget set by a competent pianist, maybe not the best interpretations out there but one can't quibble with the quantity of music here.

--Geoff 

9 hours ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Viktoria Mullova,  Bach, 6 Solo Sonatas & Partitas. Onyx Classics ‎ ONYX 4040.  2 × CD Europe 2009.

Enjoying this rendition of the 6. See music web review:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/June09/Bach_mullova_onyx4040.htm

6 Solo Sonatas & Partitas (CD) album cover

With risk of behaving like a comparison nerd, how do you feel this sits amongst the vast universe of other options (or at least the most renowned)?  [note to self: you are undoubtedly a comparison nerd].

I am always rewarded by returning to Mullova's interpretations, but I sense it is not  seen as "up there" when people rattle off prominent versions, and not quite sure that is a "fair" reflection (whatever that is).    I quite like the balance of her performance - intense, conveys strong emotion, doesn't wander into the sentimental (Perlman, Shaham?) and while strongly technical shuns the "coldness" which i feel at times with early Kremer and Tognetti (as examples). And recording quality is well regarded as attested by your link.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2020 at 7:05 AM, Dilettanteque said:

With risk of behaving like a comparison nerd, how do you feel this sits amongst the vast universe of other options (or at least the most renowned)?  [note to self: you are undoubtedly a comparison nerd].

I am always rewarded by returning to Mullova's interpretations, but I sense it is not  seen as "up there" when people rattle off prominent versions, and not quite sure that is a "fair" reflection (whatever that is).    I quite like the balance of her performance - intense, conveys strong emotion, doesn't wander into the sentimental (Perlman, Shaham?) and while strongly technical shuns the "coldness" which i feel at times with early Kremer and Tognetti (as examples). And recording quality is well regarded as attested by your link.

OK, with the caveat that I have no musical expertise, just a love of Bach & in particular his solo works, for recordings in the modern era (post original instruments revival), Mullova is not going to knock Rachel Podger of her perch. But yes, this recording deserves to be right up some

where near the top, or uppermost branches of the performance tree. 

I agree with your comments that she avoids the drippy sentimentality common to some of the 1960s recordings. Don't ask me to give an example, remember the caveat! And she definitely avoids the clinical approach of early Tognetti (caveat, I am missing one of the discs of his recording of the 6 (a hazard of quick bulk purchase decisions in the circular economy you alluded to in our last conversation) so cannot do an A/B comparison). I thinks as the reviewer said her choice of reprod. period bow with the the 1750's period violin, with gut strings & 'tuned down' serves her craft well.

A check of the discogs price & stats, indicate people value the recording https://www.discogs.com/Bach-Viktoria-Mullova-6-Solo-Sonatas-Partitas/release/5718655

Others with more more musical gravitas and more comprehensive music collections  than I, such as @dwbasement might like to weigh in on this topic!

Regards,

Gary. 

• Like 1

Before:

Pieter Wispelwey & Florilegium,  Vivaldi - 6 Cello Sonatas. Channel Classics ‎ CCS 6294 Netherlands 1994.

6 Cello Sonatas (CD, Album) album cover

Now: 

Jacqueline Du Pré, Ernest Lush, William Pleeth Brahms*, Couperin*, Handel*, ‎– Her Early BBC Recordings, Volume 2. EMI ‎ CDM 7 63166 2, CD, Album, Compilation, Reissue, Mono USA & Canada 1989.

Her Early BBC Recordings, Volume 2 (CD, Album, Compilation, Reissue, Mono) album cover

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

OK, with the caveat that I have no musical expertise, just a love of Bach & in particular his solo works, for recordings in the modern era (post original instruments revival), Mullova is not going to knock Rachel Podger of her perch. But yes, this recording deserves to be right up some

where near the top, or uppermost branches of the performance tree. 

I agree with your comments that she avoids the drippy sentimentality common to some of the 1960s recordings. Don't ask me to give an example, remember the caveat! And she definitely avoids the clinical approach of early Tognetti (caveat, I am missing one of the discs of his recording of the 6 (a hazard of quick bulk purchase decisions in the circular economy you alluded to in our last conversation) so cannot do an A/B comparison). I thinks as the reviewer said her choice of reprod. period bow with the the 1750's period violin, with gut strings & 'tuned down' serves her craft well.

A check of the discogs price & stats, indicate people value the recording https://www.discogs.com/Bach-Viktoria-Mullova-6-Solo-Sonatas-Partitas/release/5718655

Others with more more musical gravitas and more comprehensive music collections  than I, such as @dwbasement might like to weigh in on this topic!

Regards,

Gary. 

Bach.... I love his solo works too not very familiar with the violin though, I love the cello suites more than any other classical pieces, if I were to only pick one work to listen to forever out of the entire classical world, Bach’s cello suites is it. Unfortunately the sonatas- Partitas never interest me to listen to all the different recordings, I do like it though.

I am no music expert, no musical background or deep knowledge, just love good music that inspire me. I would hear the violin solo the same way as I hear the cello solo, ie. every interpretation has its own style and very personal, it is belong to that particular artist that so unique that it is all subjective, I love every recording of the cello suites that I collected but of course I have my favourite but I appreciate all the artists’ interpretation at the same time. 
Dennis

• Like 2

Before:

Angela Hewitt, Bach Transcriptions By Myra Hess, Wilhelm Kempff, Harriet Cohen, Lord Berners, Herbert Howells, William Walton John Ireland, Mary Howe, Eugen D'Albert, Harold Bauer ‎– Bach Arrangements. Hyperion ‎  CDA67309  UK 2001.

Bach Arrangements (CD, Album) album cover

Now:

Csaba Onczay,  J. S. Bach - Cello Suites Vol. 2. Naxos ‎ 8.550678 Germany 1994.

Cello Suites Vol. 2 (CD, Album) album cover

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 2