Classical currently spinning thread

Guest RobbC
17 hours ago, Citroen said:

Was expecting this to be some horrible CD transfer from an old live recording of a bootleg out of copyright release., esp as it was only US$5 new.

Well, it just may well be. But it actually sounds really quite good! :)

"Original Recordings Remastered, DMM Cutting"

MTvlLgZ.jpg?1

love this recording

Gidon Kremer, Kremerata Baltica - Weinberg: Chamber Symphonies and Piano Quintet

My morning commute companion....well some of it...given that it is over 2 hours and today's commute wasn't.

I am ever so glad that one of our esteemed classical spinners tipped us off to the  Weinberg symphonies.  the Symphony 2 and 21 recordings are fantastic and the music is engrossing.  Finding this equally interesting and have been drawn back to it a few times since recent purchase.

Image result for Gidon Kremer, Kremerata Baltica - Weinberg: Chamber Symphonies and Piano Quintet cover

• Like 1

712kGfv82hL._SX522_.jpg

Neville Marriner & ASMF - Bach: Art Of Fugue / Musical Offering -- picked up this 2xCD today for $0.50 ... yoink! An interesting listen, scored for a variety of instruments (strings, organ, harpsichord, etc). Noice, but personally I prefer the Emerson String Quartet version or the Tatiana Nikolayeva piano version.  

--Geoff

• Like 2

I just heard that Alice Sara Ott was diagnosed with MS earlier this year. She is such a talented pianist. It must be devastating for her.

Edited by Ugly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

517-Q6pBuXL.jpg

Raymond Lewenthal - Piano Music of Alkan -- yoinked this CD and a bunch of other classical titles today for $0.50 each ... always a thrill to see any recordings of Alkan's notoriously technically difficult piano pieces. This recording from the mid 1960s covers a good smattering of the composer's styles. And there's one of Liszt's trickier pieces on the end. The "high performance" series apparently means remastered in 24/96. Recording sounds pretty good anyway, I assume.

--Geoff

On 02/08/2019 at 4:04 PM, Ugly said:

I just heard that Alice Sara Ott was diagnosed with MS earlier this year. She is such a talented piantist. It must be devastating for her.

Nice to recognise such troubling news.  In this Jacqueline Du Pre is sad company to keep.

18 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

Mischa Maisky - Vivaldi & Boccherini Cello Concerti

Image result for Mischa Maisky - Vivaldi & Boccherini Cello Concerti

Snap ... I am playing another of yesterday's $0.50 CD yoinks right now:

51mZkTjWFFL.jpg

Mischa Maisky & Pavel Gililov - Meditation -- piano & violincello duets. Can do without another Ave Maria but not bad overall.

--Geoff

• Like 1