Classical currently spinning thread

Nathalie Stutzmann, Vivaldi* ‎– Prima Donna.  Deutsche Grammophon ‎ 476 4390 CD, Album, Enhanced, Opendisc Europe 2011.

Wow, what a performance, conducts & sings most of the contralto parts, I can't even walk & chew gum....

Prima Donna (CD, Album, Enhanced) album cover

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 1

I am not a huge classical fan but I do appreciate the gene at certain times. More of the commonly known stuff & do search looking for something I like the sound of. There was an app on a Sony UHD player I purchased so I signed up for the free trial. Had an Email tonight from them & thought it would be interesting to hear these CD's. Then thought perhaps others would also, hope this is the right spot to post this. I'll also go back through the thread & check some of the posts out.

" The radio recordings between 1939 and 1945 with the Berliner Philharmoniker and Wilhelm Furtwängler are among classical music’s most compelling sound documents. Created at the peak of the collaboration between orchestra and conductor, Furtwängler’s artist personality is conveyed more vividly than anywhere else. What can be heard is music in which inspiration and the expressive will know no bounds and in which, not least, the existential experience of the Second World War reverberates. For the first time, the Berliner Philharmoniker are releasing a complete edition of these recordings on 22 CD/SACD. "

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/radio-recordings.html

• Thanks 1

Guest RobbC
On 28/06/2019 at 3:48 PM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Arvo Pärt - De Profundis.

images - 2019-06-28T154749.134.jpeg

Love this.  Paul Hillier has made a number of great Part recordings.  

32 minutes ago, RobbC said:

thank you for this great recommendation.  ?

Welcome I find myself checking out the classical recommendations from stereophile. I've bought 2 prior based on their reviews , this might be number 3

you found it for sale anywhere? 

Edited by cafe67

Guest RobbC
43 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Welcome I find myself checking out the classical recommendations from stereophile. I've bought 2 prior based on their reviews , this might be number 3

you found it for sale anywhere? 

I agree I finished listening a little while ago and I thought it was worth adding to my collection. The second last price really reminded me of Britten’s sea interludes from his opera Peter Grimes. 

1 hour ago, RobbC said:

I agree I finished listening a little while ago and I thought it was worth adding to my collection. The second last price really reminded me of Britten’s sea interludes from his opera Peter Grimes. 

Have you heard the Beth gibbons songs of sorrows , thats pretty good too.

Edited by cafe67

Guest RobbC
9 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Have you heard the Beth gibbons songs of sorrows? Hats pretty good too.

actually no.  guess I know what i am listening to tomorrow. 

Guest RobbC
18 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Have you heard the Beth gibbons songs of sorrows , thats pretty good too.

I have long been a fan of Henryk Górecki: Symphony No. 3 (Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs).  I hadn't heard about this new recording but am going to enjoy the journey tonight.  See how measure measures up to Dawn.  thanks again

gorecki_gibbons_3000.jpg.dcdfaea8c24ede4c5e857b8ee7a1c118.jpg

Very expensive now but I pre ordered mine back then so it was good price. I pre order all new release on the suites whenever there is a reissue because they all become expensive after the copies are sold out.

Yes indeed. Recently played my copy. It's not cheap to buy now though.