Classical currently spinning thread

A nice ballet score by Russian composer Alexander Glazunov, The Seasons and then also the Concert Waltzes. I have most of Ansermet’s recordings and still get mesmerise how he can record so many wonderful sounding recordings with the not so renowned orchestras like the Suisse Romande.

340476D6-7FF1-4746-AB30-DACCED208D21.jpeg

IMG_1208.jpg

I’ve gotten around to listening to this finally. Only the first two discs Beethoven’s 6th (1947) and 5th. Sadly the records are warped but only reasonably gently. Still considering a return for a replacement but they play beautifully. The blurb says that the dynamics have not been altered and so warn than some noise may be present in the quieter passages. Well, the dynamics on what I’ve heard so far are very impressive. This mono recording is so immediate and live sounding it’s amazing. Very much sounds like a recording of the era but in a faithful and exciting way. The kettle drums have so much slam and presence. This is all mono and that’s a first for me. As far as the performance is concerned, we’ll, I’m no expert in this area but I like the way his 6th Starts off so slowly and gently. But when it’s gets moving, the pace and power steps up impressively. I’ll spend a lot of time getting through these 14 LPs but so far, I’m glad I took the plunge. I’d never heard of Furtwangler until Keith W made mention of him is regard to his 9th. So, thanks Keith. I’m enjoying getting to know this bloke. Cheers, M

• Like 3

I like Ketelbey’s work. Apparently he has never been to the places that he composed his music for, but somehow the music sound so genuine and do have the oriental touch to it. 

6A2207B6-F775-453A-AA2A-B47A8D7EFAF0.jpeg

Johann Sebastian Bach (Comp.)/ Helmut Walcha, Toccaten Und Fugen.  Archiv Produktion ‎– 198 304, Reissue Germany.

The Toccata and Fugue was the first of Bach's music that entered my consciousness at Bathurst cathedral in 1971 & was the first LP of his music that I subsequently purchased some years later (not Walcha's recording).  Still remains a very powerful work to me (in a musical sense). 

Toccaten Und Fugen (Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue) album cover

• Like 1

Mozart* — London Symphony Orchestra* And Chorus*, Colin Davis*, Vesperae Solennes De Confessore K.339 / Exsultate Jubilate K.165 / Kyrie K.341 / Ave Verum Corpus K.618. World Record Club ‎– R 06109/Phillips 6500271. Stereo Australia 1979.

Vesperae Solennes De Confessore K.339 / Exsultate Jubilate K.165 / Kyrie K.341 / Ave Verum Corpus K.618 (Vinyl, LP, Album, Club Edition, Stereo) album cover

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 2