Classical currently spinning thread

Alfred Brendel, Beethoven (Comp.) Brendel In Concert - Diabelli Variations. World Record Club ‎ R-05491, Club Edition, Stereo Australia 1979.

Why did Beethoven spend the last four years of his life working on the diabolical variations after first refusing to work on them? Well that is probably the myth & the subject of a play currently running in Melbourne starring Ellen Burstyn,  Lisa McCune, Francis Greenslade, Helen Morse and Toby Truslove https://www.timeout.com/melbourne/theatre/33-variations 

Brendel In Concert - Diabelli Variations (Vinyl, LP, Album, Club Edition, Stereo) album cover

• Like 1

On 02/03/2019 at 3:42 PM, Kumarakid said:

Mozart Piano Sonatas Vol. 1, Peter Donohoe (piano).

748871019126.jpg.d4fddf307ea26a32c988227feefa29c6.jpg

This is the first disc in a planned series of all of Mozart's piano sonatas, with pianist, Peter Donohoe.

Nos 2, 6, and 17 are performed here. The playing is naturally excellent, as you would expect from someone of Donohoe's stature, but the quality of the recording is variable, as the sonatas were recorded at different times (dates), but in the same venue. Also, they were performed on a C. Bechstein....one of the big 4 names in the piano pantheon.

Once I had established that this recording was a little lacking in impact, I soon made the requisite adjustments to my amp.....you need to turn up the volume to get your speakers to engage. For a C. Bechstein, the sound is fairly neutral and the treble brilliance that this brand is renowned for, was noticeably absent. In fact the treble runs are somewhat blurred, but I put this down to the recording engineer/recording venue. It should be bleed'n obvious that a conservatory hall when empty, gives a very different sound from when an audience is present. This is not the first recording I have heard which has not taken this very important aspect into consideration.....or not sufficiently, anyway.

Thanks Kumarakid, especially for your comments regarding the recording quality.  Good point about the sonic difference between and empty vs full venue. 

Classical solo piano is probably my favourite genre, but in recent times I find myself becoming somewhat impatient with CDs that have poor sound quality (they punish your ears when you get excited and turn up the volume), so am now looking for recently recorded, and well recorded, replacements. 

I am finding it tough going, because sometimes the artist's interpretation on the 'old' recording is preferable (to me, anyway) to the more recent performers. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Citroen said:

This one looks very interesting!

It is indeed - an interesting selection of works by composers noted on the cover, and then some "trench favourites" (Keep the Home Fires Burning; God Save the King). An interesting framing of an album.