Classical currently spinning thread

Vincent Belanger’s first recording, now re-issued by ANM.  Love the sleeve notes having some info about the recording process and equipment to produce the best sound. 

F726807C-05ED-4854-B989-835FE1B4E997.jpeg

• Like 1

On 21 August 2018 at 11:22 PM, dwbasement said:

@guru do you have the 45rpm 2lp set?

About 3 weeks away, there are 5 new recordings coming in the next couple of months.

Just now, Happy said:

Pollini is the best IMO but not sure if he managed the complete set yet.

Usually complete recordings are a hit and miss except for Bernstein’s DG Mahler set.

Yeah, point taken. Well maybe just a selection of his greatest sonatas might suffice.

Just now, Jaspen said:

Yeah, point taken. Well maybe just a selection of his greatest sonatas might suffice.

Ludwig’s piano sonatas can take many forms. Pollini smashed the late sonatas but I like Gould’s weird performance better personally. Gulda is pretty jazzy and of course S Richter is a giant in this field. 

Bakhaus on vinyl is sweet too.

I’ve heard other recordings so much that nowadays the recordings on period piano like the Conrad Graf used by the composer himself are my fave. Hopelessly out of tune though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy said:

Ludwig’s piano sonatas can take many forms. Pollini smashed the late sonatas but I like Gould’s weird performance better personally. Gulda is pretty jazzy and of course S Richter is a giant in this field. 

Bakhaus on vinyl is sweet too.

I’ve heard other recordings so much that nowadays the recordings on period piano like the Conrad Graf used by the composer himself are my fave. Hopelessly out of tune though. 

I'm not a huge fan of the Forte Piano....they sound a bit like old out of tune pianos.

I'm a great fan of C. Bechstein pianos, they just sing.

• Like 1

Does anyone have this newly released version by Yo Yo Ma?

1.jpg.2f55fcb97b576e6eca4249e060ac3947.jpg

Is this the best or should I look elsewhere?
Jas, do you mean best version of the cello suites or is this best version of YYM recordings? This is YY third attempt on the suites, he is also going around the globe for 36 concerts, this could be his last recordings on the suites.
As for the suites, all recordings are different interpretations, different people have different preferences, and depending on what you are after slow, fast, slower, faster, technical or articulated, historical (may not be good in sound quality), something that tells a story, feminine touch...etc
I like all of them as@happy mentioned I have over 30 recordings and still counting.
I would recommend Casals, Wispelwey and Starker as top 3 must have.
Cheers
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jaspen said:

Thank you @dwbasement . Casals, Wispelwey and Starker have probably recorded them a number of times. Could you perhaps single out particular sets/versions?

Starker on Mercury.

i dont mind the earlier recordings too anything by Starker is worth listening 

• Like 2

I have and like David Watkin's cd.

Have you heard this[mention=147028]dwbasement[/mention] ? What is your take on it?

I don't think I have this one, is this on CD or vinyl?
Thanks for helping to spend my money [emoji6]