Classical currently spinning thread

Well I listened to the Bruckner again today. I think my system is fine on dynamics, it's just the differences in volume are too hard to deal with late at night when you want to hear the quiet bits but not wake people up with the loud bits.

Anyway, Bruckner's Symphony No1 was very nice. It does need some volume but a good piece of music. I recently bought his 5th too so I'll listen to that soon, and after cleaning, I'll listen to the Mahler and see what that is like.

DS

davidsss listen to the Mahler during the day. You need to turn it up to feel the menace and you will wake your family up. It can be a very confronting piece if you sit down and take it all in! I try not to listen to it too much because it really gets me down!

Classical tends to have more dynamic range in my experience and this can be a problem at very low volumes. Although there is quite a lot of classical that is fine late at night with low volume, and I do play classical at night, I will take your advice and keep the Mahler for day time when no-one else is home, probably next weekend. The problem really is to avoid waking everyone up but still be able to hear the low volume parts (especially in winter months when the heater may be on). I tend to keep Shostakovich for day time too. I took some to work and even had someone ask me to change the music, it was just too full on!

DS

Hello.

I've been listening to "La Folia 1490-1701" by Jordi Savall, referenced by terryj on this forum in the list used by equipment reviewers at http://www.soundstage.com/referencediscs/referencediscs.htm. I bought it recently, the SACD which cost me $37. I've been listening on my Dynaudio 62's, giving my MA GS60's a rest.

A brilliant CD. Recommended. Very lively interpretations of the same tune written over a long period (as per the title).

Regards,

Jeff

The thread regarding piano recordings put me in mind of a great performance and recording playing this morning Debussy's Etudes played by Mitsuko Uchida Philips 422 412-2. Enjoyed it so much that it has run through twice and now Pierre-Laurent Aimard is having a turn Warner Classic 8573 83940-2.

Kevin

Been relaxing late in the evening this week with some Biber (Heinrich Ignaz Franz), particularly his violin work:

Violin Sonatas (Harmonia Mundi) played by Romanesca AKA Andrew Manze baroque violin, Nigel North lute & theorbo, John Toll harpsichord & organ

Unam Ceylum (ECM) John Holloway violin

Harmonia Artificoso - Ariosa (Astree), The Rare Fruits Council - Manfredo Kremer violin.

Also:

Missa Bruxellensis - La Capella Reial de Catalunya/Le Concert des Nations (Alia Vox) Jordi Savall

Note: With everybody asleep the volume does not need to be kept very low, actually any volume is not an issue. There are some very solid sleepers in this household.

JeffK and Nostro,

Jordi Savall and his group Hesperion XXI are touring for Musica Viva later this year.:P He used wonderfully colourful Renaissance instruments, and this will be a terrific opportunity to compare the live sound with his gorgeous recordings.

JeffK and Nostro,

Jordi Savall and his group Hesperion XXI are touring for Musica Viva later this year.:P He used wonderfully colourful Renaissance instruments, and this will be a terrific opportunity to compare the live sound with his gorgeous recordings.

Thank you Geoff for this news, I have quite a few Jordi Savall (Hesperion XX/I) recordings & will keep an eye out for the tour. If possible I'll try to get along, assuming they will be performing up here.

Cheers! :)

Re-exploring my collection of concertos... Currently Beethoven's Emperor Concerto - Perahia & Haitink (never really liked this performance but think perahia's version of the 4th is the best of them all, but tonight it seems to fall together...).

Just prior, different versions of the Rach 2nd: Krystian Zimmerman (interesting touch, fabulous clarity on the piano but not quite weighty enough - at times feels a little like Rach-lite), Ashkenazy (best tempi and interpretation in my collection), and Jorge Bolet (bit slow). Very powerful and stirring stuff and makes me wish I had never stopped playing...

Very very pleased that my system is going again with the arrival of the JJ Tesla 5AR4 rectifier tube this morning :D

AB

Hello everyone

Just like to contribute to this topic. I do have not as much knowledge as you guys meaning in Classical music however I do enjoy operas very much.

I did have a listen Antonin Dvorak - Rusalka (3CD) (Fleming, Mackerras, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra) .I would not say that this is the best recording I have but I would say that it is ok …..Great Music ....

Rusalka.jpg

Also I would like to ask if someone have some AU SACD recording

They are available through local stores like HMV also available on the net > Melba Recording

Thank you JiriAU

Wagner: Das Rheingold

http://www.melbarecordings.com.au/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,13/category_id,1/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,64

Wagner: Die Walküre

http://www.melbarecordings.com.au/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,12/category_id,1/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,64/

Wagner: Siegfried

http://www.melbarecordings.com.au/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,17/category_id,1/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,64/

Wagner: Götterdämmerung

http://www.melbarecordings.com.au/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,18/category_id,1/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,64/

Also I would like to ask if someone have some AU SACD recording

Wagner: Das Rheingold

Wagner: Die Walküre

Wagner: Siegfried

Wagner: Götterdämmerung

Hello JiriAu,

I have all four of those disc sets that you listed above. You can read more about them here, but this is my take. I do not recommend this set for a number of reasons.

First, if you are a Ring beginner, I would advise you to start off with a disc of excerpts. If you try to listen to the whole thing, 16 hours worth of music ... you will find it exceedingly difficult.

Second, this is not the best version. I do not agree with the reviews - I find the performance neither here nor there. The reading seems to lack commitment. The dramatic highpoints seem rather limp, the slow bits are a bit boring. The singers are neither here nor there - some of them are decidedly average, without enough power to rise above the orchestra. Some of them are world class, but no better than some of the celebrated Wagner singers.

Third, the sound quality is average (despite being on SACD). I have RBCD's which are clearer than this. At times the orchestra devolves into a gelatinous mass - partly the fault of the conductor, partly the recording engineer.

The packaging is very nice and you get a full libretto along with many nice photographs. But that's about it ;)

If you want to get into Wagner's Ring, I would recommend the Georg Solti one as the best all-rounder. People criticize it for the over-bright sound quality and the over-aggressive (and at times disjointed) performance, but it has the best combination of performance and good sound. Other performances, like the Knappertsbusch, Sawallisch, and Furtwangler may be more compelling, but those are all mono, and some of them have decidedly lousy sound. As in, sound quality so bad that it's unlistenable except on a system that deliberately rolls off the top end.

Hi Keith

Thanks for the info regarding the SACD much appreciated.

I would also like to ask a favor or your opinion. I do have a double CD of Tosca (Bocelli, Cedolins, Mehta) sending picture and think that this one is one of the best recording Opera I do own (To mine ears) and I do believe you might have it at well or you have heard it in the past. Basically I would like know if you considering this particular album as a good recording or average or …… Simply any feedback would be a reference point for me sort of speaks.

I don’t think that your opinion will change mine preferences to this particular CD mention above but I it hopefully give me idea why do you (s’) prefer some other recording when compare with some of your favorite CD similar genre (opera) which I’m willing to purchase to conduct this test .I hope you understand what I’m trying to achieve by doing this.

Note: I remember that you have mentioned some time back that you do not like or prefer Andre Bocelli as a opera singer … I would like your opinion on sound quality /recording ….Also If you don’t have this CD or never heard it just disregard all this above

Thank you JiriAu

Tosca.jpg

PS: when I was looking for a classical music in local stores I always looked at the day of recording when it was latter than 1990 I did not buy it as I thought that those modern recording are much better.

Nevertheless I did purchase some old records just the other day 60’ 70’ and I think that they are very good not as dynamic as some new recording but very enjoyable indeed.

Of course I have heard that the earlier recording are better but I suppose I never believe in it.

Now you have mention about some mono recording (to be good)? I have some mono recording and I do not like it at all but it could be course they are just some cheep CD .??

I also have find at mine parents place just recently a brand new 3 records box off Opera by Bedrich Smetana – Prodana Nevesta (The Bartered Bride) They have never been played

It Says Recorded at 1933 and remastered 1979.Sending pictures. I have never played these records as well as waiting for a new cartridge but wondering how they sound.

Thank you JiriAU

pr02.jpg

pr03.jpg

pr01.jpg

JiriAu I have never heard any of the recordings that you mention above. However, I do know what Bocelli sounds like and personally i'm not a fan. As far as opera singers go he has a very small voice and is unable to sing "over" an orchestral accompaniment - which is why most of the time he sings with small accompaniments.

A small voice by itself is no problem - some types of music do better with small voices than with big ones. Imagine Pavarotti singing Schubert lieder, for example. But Fischer-Dieskau (who has a big voice) seems to do very well with lieder, which does break my rule, so it is by no means universal.

This is my ONLY criticism of him - I think he's got a great voice - expressive, sweet, and lyrical - except that I have only heard a couple of discs of him singing and found his style to be rather lightweight with little emotional depth. But please do not let my impressions change your judgement - many people love Bocelli and I am happy to acknowledge that i'm the odd one out, rather than me being right and everyone else being wrong. Music is like that - what one person finds moving, someone else might find excessively sentimental and devoid of subtlety. What matters is what YOU think.

I have been listening to Stravinsky's Firebird repeatedly over the last few days. As often with these things, repeated listening reveals more and more to be savoured.

And love that seven four finishing off!! Who else does that?

Snap!!! Last night at high volume to celebrate the return of the Plinius amps rebiased and with toggle switches replaced. Reference Recordings Minnesota/Oue. Happy combination of lively performance with great sonics - suite only.

Kevin

Hi Keith

Thanks for the info regarding the SACD much appreciated.

I would also like to ask a favor or your opinion. I do have a double CD of Tosca (Bocelli, Cedolins, Mehta) sending picture and think that this one is one of the best recording Opera I do own (To mine ears) and I do believe you might have it at well or you have heard it in the past. Basically I would like know if you considering this particular album as a good recording or average or …… Simply any feedback would be a reference point for me sort of speaks.

I don’t think that your opinion will change mine preferences to this particular CD mention above but I it hopefully give me idea why do you (s’) prefer some other recording when compare with some of your favorite CD similar genre (opera) which I’m willing to purchase to conduct this test .I hope you understand what I’m trying to achieve by doing this.

Note: I remember that you have mentioned some time back that you do not like or prefer Andre Bocelli as a opera singer … I would like your opinion on sound quality /recording ….Also If you don’t have this CD or never heard it just disregard all this above

Thank you JiriAu

Tosca.jpg

PS: when I was looking for a classical music in local stores I always looked at the day of recording when it was latter than 1990 I did not buy it as I thought that those modern recording are much better.

Nevertheless I did purchase some old records just the other day 60’ 70’ and I think that they are very good not as dynamic as some new recording but very enjoyable indeed.

Of course I have heard that the earlier recording are better but I suppose I never believe in it.

Now you have mention about some mono recording (to be good)? I have some mono recording and I do not like it at all but it could be course they are just some cheep CD .??

I also have find at mine parents place just recently a brand new 3 records box off Opera by Bedrich Smetana – Prodana Nevesta (The Bartered Bride) They have never been played

It Says Recorded at 1933 and remastered 1979.Sending pictures. I have never played these records as well as waiting for a new cartridge but wondering how they sound.

Thank you JiriAU

pr02.jpg

pr03.jpg

pr01.jpg

JiriAu, I will tell you a little story about Bocelli. Many years ago when my daughters were still quite young we were driving in the middle of the night from Sydney to Melbourne. We were playing ABC on the radio, a classical programme. The presenter started discussing this new Italian singer who was starting to take Europe by storm. The presenter did not like him and referred to him as a "stinker". He then played a few tracks sung by the stinker Bocelli. My eldest daughter who was about 12 years old at the time took note of this, wrote it in her note book, and stated that she did not think that Bocelli was a stinker. She was quite heavily into music, played the violin and piano and was later leader of the orchestra in year 12 at St Margaret's School. About 10 years later I remember listening to a cd that featured Sarah Brightman and Bocellli. I commented that it was quite pleasant in a background sort of way (I am a Callas fan). Of course I had forgotten all about the drive in the middle of the night, and had heard Bocelli many times without recollection of the stinker tag. Eldest daughter asked if I thought Bocelli was a stinker. Of course I said that that that was a little cruel, upon which daughter went to her bedroom and reappeared about 30 minutes later with an old diary and showed me the page where she had written...well you know what. So, Bocelli is pleasant, however perhaps not the most complete of voices.

Bartered Bride is very good when played by the Czechs. I have a very good dvd of the opera in the traditional style. I must admit I do not like the "modernisation" versions I have seen (although I have enjoyed a modernisation of Madam Butterfly I once saw, however that was live, so the music overwhelmed one). I am sure the Supraphon version will be good, however from memory their pressings could be patchy. They were very good value in the 1960s and 1970s and I had quite a few.

Snap!!! Last night at high volume to celebrate the return of the Plinius amps rebiased and with toggle switches replaced. Reference Recordings Minnesota/Oue. Happy combination of lively performance with great sonics - suite only.

Kevin

What a lovely way to welcome the Plinius' back home!

Beethovens 9th. MoFi. Solti/ Chicago SO. Courtesy of Mike L. Wonderful stuff. Very stirring and that choral is such an emotional experience... even through the Infinitys the visceral power of a full choir is sublime..

Cheers

M

Hi Mustud 52

thanks for your reply a nice story .....I do like Bocelli no matter what But only in classical terms.............

I 'm now in Austria and have book a ticket for a opera in Vienna and >Prague

and Brno for some of mine favorites .......Prague _Tosca....Brno _ Rusalka mine

that should be very good ....fingers cross

take care jiri AU