Keith_W

Classical currently spinning thread

Edited by Keith_W

We have been having the Easter music session. Tenebrae Responsoria from Victoria (Tallis Scholars Gimell) and Gesauldo (Hilliard Ensemble ECM). Allegri Miserere Tallis Scholars again and Kings College in 1963 Decca recording with Roy Goodman singing the solo role as a young boy apparently with dirty knees from the afternoon footy match. Pergolesi Stabat Mater and the Palestrina Stabat Mater.

McMillan Seven Last Words - have to be in the right mood but also Seven Last Words from Haydn with the Lindsey Quartet - beautiful.

I agree about a separate thread as classical does not seem to be a big interest. Good to see Hyperion releasing music again as they went through a financially ordinary time after a law suit - can't remember the details.

Is Tony Faulkner the engineer Keith as I find if he has been involved that it is a near certainty the recording will be good. I don't share your big interest in lieder but will look for one of these recordings.

Kevin

Firstly, thanks for starting this thread, I was beginning to despair of a place to discuss fine music in this forum.

Secondly, the comments regarding Tony Faulkner are spot on. I would vote for a recording of the Prokofiev Alexander Nevsky film score engineered by him I once borrowed as probably the best RBCD I have heard.

Oh yes. The engineer is well worth noting.

Catostylus are you talking about the Temirkanov / St Petersburg SO recording? This one:

alexander_nevsky.jpg

I have 3 Alexander Nevsky's and none of them are recorded by Tony Faulkner. I just looked.

Keith, i'm interested to know where you order the Hyperion discs from?

Also intested to know of any other recommended classical rbcd's that offer excellent sonics. Wouldn't mind purchasing a few to give classical music a try.

Catostylus are you talking about the Temirkanov / St Petersburg SO recording? This one:

alexander_nevsky.jpg

I have 3 Alexander Nevsky's and none of them are recorded by Tony Faulkner. I just looked.

The cover is different, but yes, it may be that one.

Mind you, I could be talking through my hat, 'twas many a moon ago.

Catostylus I will try to acquire one of those and i'll let you know what I think :P Although ... I do already have 3 Alexander Nevsky's ... a 4th won't hurt :D

The recordings you have are most likely the Alexander Nevsky Cantata which Prokofiev arranged from the film score. This recording is the complete film score. It may be worth getting for that reason alone.

Oh..and is that Kate Royal in the Schumann album cover photo?

I think I'm in love.......:D

J. S. BACH,

3 Sonata and 3 Partite per violin solo, performed by Gidon Kremer.

24 bit format, a gift from a friend in Japan, released by Phillips #2CD-PHCP-24061/62

A most wonderful example of a fine violinist captured on 2 incredible discs.

..................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jonesy

Schoenberg - Verklaerte Nacht, in the original string sextet version by the Schoenberg Ensemble. Philips 416 306-2.

An amazing premonition of the amazing path taken by an amazing man.