Classical currently spinning thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Arvo Part: Te Deum Arvo Part (Composer), Tonu Karljuste (Conductor), Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir (Orchestra)  Format: Audio CD    

some education for me tonight:     cheers   mick

Brahms 1st Symphony from the Berlin Philharmonic direct to disc boxset. Wonderfully live.  

We have been having the Easter music session. Tenebrae Responsoria from Victoria (Tallis Scholars Gimell) and Gesauldo (Hilliard Ensemble ECM). Allegri Miserere Tallis Scholars again and Kings College in 1963 Decca recording with Roy Goodman singing the solo role as a young boy apparently with dirty knees from the afternoon footy match. Pergolesi Stabat Mater and the Palestrina Stabat Mater.

McMillan Seven Last Words - have to be in the right mood but also Seven Last Words from Haydn with the Lindsey Quartet - beautiful.

I agree about a separate thread as classical does not seem to be a big interest. Good to see Hyperion releasing music again as they went through a financially ordinary time after a law suit - can't remember the details.

Is Tony Faulkner the engineer Keith as I find if he has been involved that it is a near certainty the recording will be good. I don't share your big interest in lieder but will look for one of these recordings.

Kevin

Firstly, thanks for starting this thread, I was beginning to despair of a place to discuss fine music in this forum.

Secondly, the comments regarding Tony Faulkner are spot on. I would vote for a recording of the Prokofiev Alexander Nevsky film score engineered by him I once borrowed as probably the best RBCD I have heard.

Oh yes. The engineer is well worth noting.

• Like 1

Catostylus are you talking about the Temirkanov / St Petersburg SO recording? This one:

alexander_nevsky.jpg

I have 3 Alexander Nevsky's and none of them are recorded by Tony Faulkner. I just looked.

• Like 1

Keith, i'm interested to know where you order the Hyperion discs from?

Also intested to know of any other recommended classical rbcd's that offer excellent sonics. Wouldn't mind purchasing a few to give classical music a try.

Catostylus are you talking about the Temirkanov / St Petersburg SO recording? This one:

alexander_nevsky.jpg

I have 3 Alexander Nevsky's and none of them are recorded by Tony Faulkner. I just looked.

The cover is different, but yes, it may be that one.

Mind you, I could be talking through my hat, 'twas many a moon ago.

• Like 1
Catostylus I will try to acquire one of those and i'll let you know what I think :P Although ... I do already have 3 Alexander Nevsky's ... a 4th won't hurt :D

The recordings you have are most likely the Alexander Nevsky Cantata which Prokofiev arranged from the film score. This recording is the complete film score. It may be worth getting for that reason alone.

Oh..and is that Kate Royal in the Schumann album cover photo?

I think I'm in love.......:D

J. S. BACH,

3 Sonata and 3 Partite per violin solo, performed by Gidon Kremer.

24 bit format, a gift from a friend in Japan, released by Phillips #2CD-PHCP-24061/62

A most wonderful example of a fine violinist captured on 2 incredible discs.

..................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jonesy

• Love 1

Schoenberg - Verklaerte Nacht, in the original string sextet version by the Schoenberg Ensemble. Philips 416 306-2.

An amazing premonition of the amazing path taken by an amazing man.

• Like 1

Great idea for a thread Keith, l am always keen to try some classical but never seem to find anything l like. When Warwick was recently over he played a Classical LP which l quite liked, l took a pic of the cover, l will dig it out and post it up

Cheers Mondie

Hi Aaron,

I have the Cello Suites in a number of guises Casals in mono, Rostropovich, Ma and my favourite Pandolfo on the viola de gamba (Glossa) - all on cd. I see the Starker is available on hybrid sacd as well and assume it is the same recording - I have not been to the Acoustic Sounds site before. Have you struck any problems purchasing from them?

Kevin

Aaron, I keep seeing that one at Quality Records. Alas I'm not sure if I want unaccompanied Cello, anyway there are too many other new records there that I want.

Now, back on to the topic:

I'm still going through this little box set:

2LP48.JPG

Which I picked up recently for $10.

It contains:

DG 104 922-28

Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture :1966 B.P.O.

Tchaikovsky Capriccio italien :1966 B.P.O.

Tchaikovsky Marche slave :1966 B.P.O.

Tchaikovsky Nutcracker Ballet Suite :1966 B.P.O.

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1 :1962 V.S.O.

Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings :1966 B.P.O.

Tchaikovsky Symphony No 4 :1966 B.P.O.

Tchaikovsky Symphony No 5 :1965 B.P.O.

Tchaikovsky Symphony No 6 :1964 B.P.O.

Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto :1965 B.P.O.

Information from: http://www.karajan.co.uk/vinyl2.html

Today it was the nutcracker. This is probably all the Tchaikovsky I need and I quite like most of it. I still haven't heard the Piano concerto but Richter is playing so it should be good and the 1812 I expect is probably the same version I have on another record (if it is, do you want the old record Keith?).

In between the popular music I sometimes add to the Currently Spinning thread, I often listen to classical which now goes here - good idea for a new thread Keith.

DS

Edit: Kevin I would think Aaron is referring to the vinyl release.

• Like 1
I see the Starker is available on hybrid sacd as well and assume it is the same recording - I have not been to the Acoustic Sounds site before. Have you struck any problems purchasing from them?

Hi Kevin,

I believe that the SACD was made from the same master as the vinyl reissue.

I have been buying CDs and vinyl from Acoustic Sounds for several years now without issue. Occasionally one gets a less than perfect pressing that sets off the perfectionist alarm but they have always been very accommodating regarding returns (at the buyer's cost unfortunately). Big group orders work out best on a per record basis for shipping. They do have a minimum order policy for customers outside the US as one would expect.

Aaron

Alas I'm not sure if I want unaccompanied Cello

David, are you kidding? There is nothing quite so beautiful as the sound of a cello, save perhaps that of two.

(actually, thats a bastardised quote from Andres Segovia talking about guitars, apologies el maestro)

But my point is, that solo cello is exquisite, why else would Bach dedicate so much time to it.

I will buy that record I think.

• Like 1

I haven't compared them Keith. To be honest I purchased that particular LP on the basis of sound quality alone and without being entirely familiar with all of the Bach solo cello suites, a process of musical discovery if you will. I don't know enough about the technical side of music to meaningfully critique a performance but I am sensitive to things like tempo, especially when it comes to Mahler, and I can spot a lackluster performance when I see/hear one. If I make an emotional connection with the music then I can only assume that the performance, recording and playback system are all on the money.

If I make an emotional connection with the music then I can only assume that the performance, recording and playback system are all on the money.

Too right. You dont have to be a classically trained musician to know when its right or wrong.

My old classical guitar teacher once said to me that timing is so critical. He said that my audience wont know why something sounds right when the timing is good, only that it will, and he was spot on.

And he learnt off Segovia....

• Like 1
Shostakovitvh Symphony No.10

London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Andrew Davis

1975 LP from Quality Records.

Hi Jasper! (Dammit, where's Breno's waving hand smilie?)

That first movement says all there is to say about Stalin's Soviet Union. Dark, mysterious, brooding, malevolent.

A supreme achievement.

Keith, i'm interested to know where you order the Hyperion discs from?

Also intested to know of any other recommended classical rbcd's that offer excellent sonics. Wouldn't mind purchasing a few to give classical music a try.

There are many well recorded classical cds. If there is anything you would like to try I am sure someone here can offer a recommendation.

Classical is facing a bit of a crisis with the majors putting out very little new recordings – I think Lebrecht the British critic said about fifty? In the last year. However there have been a lot of reissues at mid price level of well remastered material. The Mercury and Rca are hybrid sacd but the cd layer has had the same remastering and are often very good.

http://www.deccaclassics.com/music/legends/index.asp

http://www.deccaclassics.com/music/philips50/article.html

http://www.deccaclassics.com/music/mercurylivingpresence/

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?label_id=1314&bcorder=6&LabelAll=1&gclid=CL69r9ODp5ICFQSRgwodyFF1Rg

Due to the expense of recording large orchestral works the most common way for a new release to occur is via an orchestras own recording arm of a live performance for instance the LSO

http://lso.co.uk/buyrecordings/

The smaller label soften have brilliant recordings secondary to being closer to their enthusiast roots. This is often smaller group chamber music or earlier music. I love this music but it may not necessarily appeal . Also it is often full price and worse.

http://www.ecmrecords.com/Startseite/startseite.php

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/

http://www.alia-vox.com/

http://www.glossamusic.com/news/

http://www.dorian.com/

http://www.referencerecordings.com/

http://www.bluegriffinrecording.com/index.php

http://www.marecordings.com/

There are many more - being smaller they have distribution difficulties but are usually able to be ordered .

I am no expert but I am sure between the interested people on the forum some sensible suggestions can be made.

Kevin

Hi Keith

I have been spending quite a bit of time of late listenning to this recommendation of yours, actually I heard it at your place and I bought it. I love it a bit more each time I play it.

2181.jpg

Does the CD you mentioned earlier have any similarities? I am a sucker for a well recorded female vocal and this soprano is brilliant.

I know very little about classical music but I welcome any further recommendations you or others may have.

I adore that woman's voice!!

I will have to track that down - SACD, too!

Cool, so can I claim this as my first ever classical recommendation to someone :D.

Her voice amazes me.

LD, the Kate Royal Schumann songs is similar to the Elly Ameling Schubert songs - as in, both are solo soprano accompanied by solo piano. You may find that the quality of the Hyperion recording is such that it eclipses the SACD of the Pentatone! That said, Schumann is not Schubert and the sound is a bit different. See what you think.

[ATTACH]1762[/ATTACH]

I just bought the Brahms Ein Deutsches Requiem conducted by Otto Klemperer, also starring Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. Listening to it last night, I am reminded why I don't play this disc very often - it's really a bit too much. Music which is so powerful is dangerous ... you start thinking about death and you fear for all the people you love.

I compared this with my other disc with Herbert von Karajan, Gundula Janowitz, etc. The difference is as you would expect with these two conductors - the Karajan has a stricter rhythm with more beat emphasis. The Klemperer is looser with more rubato. Karajan uses his drums to terrifying effect, Klemperer uses his horns and the effect is no less terrifying. When the horns blared out in All flesh is from grass I nearly jumped out of my skin (having the volume turned up to listen to the pianissimo probably compounded the effect!). The soloists in the Klemperer - Schwarzkopf and Fischer-Dieskau - are legendary.

The sonics on the Klemperer (EMI) are better than the Karajan (DGG), despite the Karajan being a more recent recording. The Klemperer is cleaner but occasionally gets grainy at the top. Tape hiss is evident. The Karajan sounds muddy by comparison. Neither recording makes the cut as a "good" recording.

My other acquisition was this:

[ATTACH]1763[/ATTACH]

Erich Kleiber recordings from the late 1940's. This set contains SIX CD's,

Beethoven's 3, 5, 6, 7, and 9th symphonies, Mozart 41, and Schubert's 9th. Guess how much? $20!!! Tremendous value for such an enjoyable boxed set. I was rubbing my eyes in disbelief when I saw it. This brings my collection of Beethoven boxed sets to 9 (if you can count this as a boxed set) but anyway ... :eek::rolleyes: Don't know if Discurio still has them, but if you are in Melbourne, go get yourself a copy.

How does it compare to the other cheap and good Beethoven boxed set (Karajan 1960's)? Well the difference is the difference between Germans and Austrians. One is rhythm heavy and disciplined (sound familiar?), the other is free flowing and carefree. So far I have only listened to Beethoven 3 and 7, and will listen to the others later. But from what I have heard it is definitely a worthwhile acquisition.

Oh, recording is in mono, but it's not bad mono. It is clear enough to hear what the musicians are doing, and that is all that matters with historical recordings.

Beethoven's 3rd Symphony, Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Eugun Jochum. I think this record is from 1954 from what I can tell from the cover. It was very crackly but I recently cleaned it in warm water, vinegar and dishwashing liquid, now it has barely a crack or pop. Very effective and a nice version of Beethoven's 3rd.

DS

Listening to Andreas Scholl (counter tenor) this morning on Margaret Throsby's show on Classic FM. Turns out he is very keen on audio reproduction to the point that in he owns his own "very highend valve microphones " that he takes to recording sessions. Put me in mind of the Tacet recordings Das Mikrofon and the one currently spinning Die Rohre - The Tube.

It is probably the best recorded cd we own with for once wonderful playing on an audiophile label. The first piece may be of interest to those who are not big classical fans (Boccherini La Musica Notturna delle strade di Madrid) as it is the music that a violin playing Russell Crowe and his ? ships doctor cellist are playing in Master and Commander.

Next up is an MA recording Spanish Medieval Dances - another divine musical recording.

Kevin

Beethoven's 3rd Symphony, Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Eugun Jochum. I think this record is from 1954 from what I can tell from the cover. It was very crackly but I recently cleaned it in warm water, vinegar and dishwashing liquid, now it has barely a crack or pop. Very effective and a nice version of Beethoven's 3rd.

DS

DS,

So the vinegar method works? I have purchased a whole lot of new record slips and am going to do my collection next week. And then use my new steamer....:)

cheers

2sheds

Hi Keith and other listeners of real music - thought I would drop over from the meat head listening thread and see what the high ends are listening to.

This s not a tongue and cheek question biut what counts as classical - is their a "line in the sand" per say in terms of instrumentation style etc. I am not quote there at the moment listening to Mr Bubbles witrh his brass band backing him - (Call me Irresponsible) thats the name of the albumn!

I spin a classical LP next so I can post here and actually officially fit in.

Must listen to more classical - I am now old enough!

Cheers,

In Keith honour I thought I should listen to Bach for my first currently spinning classical real post - had no cantana's so listened to bach - Matthaus-Passion - 3cd set borrowed from library - just finished CD 1 and both my wife and I loved it - thanks Keith W will keep up with my classical studies!!!!

You're welcome Andy :) Which version of St. Matt's did you borrow?

St. Matt's is a masterpiece, the greatest religious music ever written IMHO. Listen with a sympathetic ear and you will hear all sorts of things. Notice how Bach surrounds his Jesus with a "halo" of shimmering violins, and how Jesus sings at half the tempo of all the disciples? Also note, that when Jesus is on the cross and sings "Eli, Eli lama sabachtini" ("God why have you forsaken me") - the halo is pointedly extinguished. With some of the pieces, the mood of the music changes from bar to bar, even though the melody and rhythm remain the same - Bach accomplishes this by changing the key and the accompaniment to darken or lighten the mood.

It was a Phillips 473 263-2 Van Der Meel/Sigmundsson Orchestra of the 18th Century/Bruggen - Live recording from the netherlands

Let me kow if that helps identify it - not sure how to properly do that.

I will have to sit down and have another listen and try and hear all the details you describe - a lot still for me to learn - this should help train my ears a bit - Is there somewhere you can get some "study" notes that helps you interpret the works as they play thrugh the music?

Cheers - I think I might learn to enjoy this

david, Haydn is best known for his string quartets and symphonies, particularly the late symphonies. I can't really tell you which ones to get, because I have not explored his music very much :)

Someone suggested Haydn to me tonight. Any suggestions on what would be a good intro into Haydn?

Thanks

DS

Late symphonies particularly "London" and "Paris" symphonies. Unbelievably we have none of these but have a lot of the string quartets. The Kodaly Quartet recorded a lot of these for Naxos and they are a bargain. For $10 try Op 74 which includes the "Rider" Quartet.

A no childrens' sport weekend here so only two music lessons to worry about. Breakfast is eggs, sausages and tomatoes accopanied by The Four Seasons Pinnock Archiv. This was recorded at the start of the authentic music movement and is a halfway house between the overblown versions of the fifities and sixties and the currrent authentic interpretive practice.

Next up Ancient Airs and Dances Resphigi Dorati Hungarica Mercury.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Bought what i consider a mnt condition(I suspect it has not been plyed) LP tody and played t loud whenn got hoe - wow loved the classical music loud nd the range and detail wa simply awsome - so quiet and detailed at times then this massive wall of sound.

Its a compilation albumn Gallleria - Digitally remastered

had Mozart Eine klleine Nachtmusik in G major Karl Bohm Weiner Philharmoniker

J Straus An der schen, blauen Donau Herbert Von Karajan Berlinner Philharmoniker

Ravel Bollero Seiji Ozawa Boston Symphony Orchestra

and Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture Herbert Von Karajan Berliner Philharmiiker

Would love the chance to hear this music on Keith W system!!!