Funeral Music - Mine

Don't forget the accordion player. Always goes down a treat.

But they can't all be playing the same thing, otherwise it has a slight chance of sounding OK

I was always a bit partial to Chuck Willis: Just before he died he released "What am I living for" backed by "hang up my rock'n'roll shoes".

Maybe they're better for on the way out rather than at the funeral - but hey what about "gone gone gone really gone"?

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Has anybody given this any thought?

I know that it has crossed my mind. Being atheist I have discounted 'Fire' by  The Crazy World of Arthur Brown and 'Heaven' by Simply Red. I have forgiven all those who deserve my ire and deleted 'The Heavenly Music Corporation' by Robert Fripp and Brian Eno, it's great music but it is not easy music, especially for a funeral.

My sign out song of choice is going to be 'Close to the Edge' by Yes. They may have to break it up into three sections for the occasion but I can live with that. (ha, ha, ha)

The choice of which version is somewhat vexed as there are a number of versions that all have something to offer, however, it will be either the original album track or the Yessongs live version. Which  one is used will be up to the organisers as I like a surprise.

So, what's it to be for you?

I am always saddened when someone declares that he/she is an atheist.  I am not criticising, I am just saying that IMO it must be very sad not to believe. If I cannot believe in something what is left?

Anyway, I am not judging, I am sharing my views. For my  funeral song I would pick something that is religious.

If you are not religious the first song that comes to mind is : It is time to say goodbye by Sara Brightman and Andreas Bocelli.

Peace be with you.

I would leave a list of songs that meant something to me during my life rather than anything pertaining to death. That way you could make a final statement on what was important to you. My 2 cents worth

In my case 'Close to the Edge' is about as life affirming as it gets. Apart from Jon Anderson, who wrote them, I'm not certain that anyone truly knows the meaning of the lyrics but I find great fulfillment in them nonetheless. You cannot really separate them from the music anyway and, to me, CttE ticks all of the boxes in both departments. Some other pieces of music come close (no pun intended) but none do it so completely as this great sprawling, yet intensely focused, delight. After forty odd years it fascinates and moves me still.

This is kinda nice, if serious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrqIEwQhRMo

Or you may prefer the Liszt transcription for solo piano, as I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du07TuqTL-8&list=PL18346475B71ABCF9

... which we used at my dear late mama's send-off, along with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sb7gp98wAc

For anyone who loves their wife or husband an believe in God listen to this

Far side banks of Jordan

A few drinks and thinking about Johnny and June brings a tear

The grateful dead Brokedown Palace

For left wingers and anyone involved in protests Lay down your weary tune by Bob

Live version of when the saints by Bruce Springsteen

Pilgrim by Steve Earle

And when it's all over a sort of hidden track

Gotta be rock n roll music if you want to dance with me the Beatles

I always wanted to have my ashes scattered on the ocean in witer on one of those perfect days but now that I

Have my very own "Sistine Chappell" I'm thinking right here behind the speaker

And my family can put the stereo on random play

At night I"ll dance around the room

post-141610-0-09809800-1380690732_thumb.

I always wanted to have my ashes scattered on the ocean in witer on one of those perfect days but now that I

Have my very own "Sistine Chappell" I'm thinking right here behind the speaker

And my family can put the stereo on random play

At night I"ll dance around the room

Surely you lot don't care what they play so long as it's on a top system.

I can see it now, a pair of Wilson Maxx 5. Monster Audio Research reference gold encrusted tube mono block amps and some bespoke turntable...

And the symbolic empty listening chair siting in the sweet spot with the dog sitting by its side and a symbolic glass of beverage on a small table with the volume remote.

.........yet in life all he ever had was some tatty 15 year old bookshelf speakers and a Marantz integrated with a dodgy left channel.

Cue the music...........

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7S94ohyErSw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7S94ohyErSw

I suppose a little too frivolous, lets play the video at the funeral too…. but I AM likely to kick the bucket doing something monumentally stupid! (And the journey in a box is a nice metaphor)

Edited by Newman
  • Like 1