Need Advice on Purchasing a new Avr Please

I think dsd being owned by Sony wont allow transfer via coax for copyright issues. Dacs find hdmi harder to get a grip of or jag onto the clock. Prob with going analog a lot of the time is sacd does dac, passes it to avr which tries to make digital again to overlay filters and Eq management which in turn makes the original source ambiguous to say the least. Your new NAD may be able to function as a power amp. Thereby disabling volume control and Eq management etc. ie going direct and just amplifying 5 channels. If so an upgrade one day could be to use the superior dac on an oppo or lexicon pre to supply your NAD. I have found this approach vastly superior. You can't use your avr to do any volume control or Eq management though. This will take the superior signal straight to the amplification stage. The amplification you've chosen is nice though. Actual power is different to brochure power which NAD has been truthful. Let us know how it sounds to you.

Just paid for it got it for $2300 will have it in a couple of days, will let you know.Cheers

There are also a lot of misnomers around about if (and why) DSD sounds better...   but poor DSD > PCM conversion can be pretty common AFAIUI.

I'd really be looking for a device which can play DSD well  (whether it converts it a lot) .... but more importantly one which has all the bass management and setup features you need to get the most out of the setup/room, which will be a lot more important (make more difference).

I have no idea how common poor DSD -> PCM conversion is. I'd hesitate to blame anything on the conversion though because the line between the data conversion and the DSP is pretty blurry in the case. I just spent a few hours on the weekend re-learning integer and floating point binary arithmetic (for my projects - not just to answer this question LOL). You would need a very different processor architecture to what today's DSP and CPU processors are to be able to do any arithmetic on DSD signal.

I'd also be less concerned about purity of the signal from the SACD -> transducer and more concerned with something with well implemented DSP Audessey and digital output stage.

I can understand that it would likely sound different without any conversion but I'm not at all convinced that this sound is in any way more 'right' than just getting better DSP and digital to analogue conversion.

Edited by hochopeper
  • Like 2

I think the dac in your new NAD is going to be better than the old denon dac :) It's a great looking unit

It should sound just as good as it looks...... i hope  .....    i just cant wait to set it up  hopefully tomorrow. :popcorn:

oh the t777 is  a very serious power house of a thing. I doubt you would be dissapointed in any ways. theres not many avrs that will come close in the power stakes to this one. looking forward to reading how you find it :)

You are right about it being a powerhouse loads of power which helps with the warm and solid sound at low levels,as in regards to DSD via HDMI i bellieve it doesnt play

the native DSD format as it converts it to PCM i have to do some more reading on this as nad claims it accepts all common audio files and plays them in their native state.

In saying that it still sound very good via HDMI in Multi or 2 Ch. Also tested my old Denon DVD 2200 sacd via 6 rca and that also sounded great a little warmer than hdmi but less bottom end.The other thin i really liked was the ease of setup and very clear instructions and also the ease of use,if i had to fault it that would be the 

Multi eq auto set up, it was easy done but the results were not too good sounded hollow and strange, so i turn it off and it sounds out of this world the other would 

be a phono input as i have a turntable but that is an easy fix so all in all i could not be happier.Thanks again for your help Cheers

Henk :thumb:

I think the dac in your new NAD is going to be better than the old denon dac :) It's a great looking unit

It even sounds better than it looks ,  very very happy with it . That DAC does a good job as it still converts it to PCM and sounding very good to me.Thanks for your input

Cheers

Henk