Need Advice on Purchasing a new Avr Please

Thank you i will look into this one.Have you ever heard the Pioneer range? I wonder how the audio side would sound.

Why don't you audition the Pioneer (e.g. SC-XL57) to hear for yourself. I noted that this new range of Pioneers feature the SABRE 32bit Ultra DAC, similar to those used in the famed OPPO 105 blu-ray player. Fair chance the audio side could be quite good for an AVR.

Why don't you audition the Pioneer (e.g. SC-XL57) to hear for yourself. I noted that this new range of Pioneers feature the SABRE 32bit Ultra DAC, similar to those used in the famed OPPO 105 blu-ray player. Fair chance the audio side could be quite good for an AVR.

The problem with that is trying to find one in a store even within 100km is not easy, so most of my research i need to do online, but you are right it would need to be heard to be able to make a decision,So what i have decided to do is go towards the NAD T777 form what i read and herd it sounds quiet good (on paper) i was told 

that it accepts DSD via HDMI as a a fail safe i also have an old denon sacd with 5.1 Analog out.I always liked the warm sound that HK and NAD produce.I just hope 

it is the right Choice and i dont have to look anymore ( driving me Nuts)  Thanks for your Help very much appreciated and let me know what you think.Cheers

Henk :)

oh the t777 is  a very serious power house of a thing. I doubt you would be dissapointed in any ways. theres not many avrs that will come close in the power stakes to this one. looking forward to reading how you find it :)

Could you change things around? Get an Oppo 95 or 105 use the 5.1 analog outs into existing avr or even save for a second hand 5 channel power amp? Older rotel, Nad, even arcam? The digital conversion in an avr in your price point is not going to be that good. I fear that the extra info from SACD won't make much difference to your SQ due to inferior dac's.

The oppo is going to provide you with a fantastic signal, which for me is the most important thing in my chain. Feed that into something half decent and it would kill the setup you are currently looking for IMHO.

Search ebay and ask SNA classifieds for any 5 channel power amps. Eg rotel, nad, arcam.  Also your current avr may even have the ability to to accept 5 channel input via rca? Some avr's like cambridge audio azur 640+ come up cheaply sometimes too and accept 5 channel input.

I personally wouldnt recommend the multi channel analog path. will inevitably involve another AD conversion in the path, plus analog capability of most avrs in this sort of price bracket isnt really their forte. I went through the stage of legacy avr and using player as decoder and DA conversion wiht mulatichannel analog cables but its too compromised, never gets the bass management right and approach not really suited for ht. its better to just move on and use digital out the players. saves on cost of player and plays to the strength of these avrs which is dealing with digital signal :)

if talking 2ch its a different ball game and definitely worth going over analog out but even there would suggest adding dedicated 2ch gear eg a 2ch integrated with ht bypass will deliver through the gains :)

The T777 is double the budget you gave us to work with….

Yes i know ,  believe me i only just decided, the reason being it is driving me insane the constant searching and not knowing enough about it, but it has the 5 .1 analog in (failsafe)but can accept dsd via HDMI supose to be easy to set up and could be upgradeable in the near future (which remains to be seen) but have had nad in the past 

and love that warm sound it gives out.

The way i look at it is if i wouldnt have come here to ask you guys for advice i would have ended up with something that further down the track i wouldnt be happy but 

by spending the extra money on this amp i feel it is the right choice, the only problem i see with purchasing the amp is convincing the wife.

Could you change things around? Get an Oppo 95 or 105 use the 5.1 analog outs into existing avr or even save for a second hand 5 channel power amp? Older rotel, Nad, even arcam? The digital conversion in an avr in your price point is not going to be that good. I fear that the extra info from SACD won't make much difference to your SQ due to inferior dac's.

The oppo is going to provide you with a fantastic signal, which for me is the most important thing in my chain. Feed that into something half decent and it would kill the setup you are currently looking for IMHO.

Search ebay and ask SNA classifieds for any 5 channel power amps. Eg rotel, nad, arcam.  Also your current avr may even have the ability to to accept 5 channel input via rca? Some avr's like cambridge audio azur 640+ come up cheaply sometimes too and accept 5 channel input.

My Current amp has 5channel analog in and have tested it with my old denon sacd  but it didnt feel right than i tryed hdmi it converted it to pcm but sounded better allready and also most of the stuff i use has hdmi thats another reason for me to go that way.thanks for your input

I personally wouldnt recommend the multi channel analog path. will inevitably involve another AD conversion in the path, plus analog capability of most avrs in this sort of price bracket isnt really their forte. I went through the stage of legacy avr and using player as decoder and DA conversion wiht mulatichannel analog cables but its too compromised, never gets the bass management right and approach not really suited for ht. its better to just move on and use digital out the players. saves on cost of player and plays to the strength of these avrs which is dealing with digital signal :)

if talking 2ch its a different ball game and definitely worth going over analog out but even there would suggest adding dedicated 2ch gear eg a 2ch integrated with ht bypass will deliver through the gains :)

Its gotta be Multi , some sacds just sound great in multi , i think for me is the way to go.Cheers

Tried that way with my amp and didnt like it , sounded very flat.i would realy like to try the hdmi on the nad if that doesnt work it does have the analog 5 in as a failsafe.

Btw, traditionally, hdmi is the worst way of transferring the signal. Has something changed?

I always thought that going digital as direct as Possible to the AMP , and poor rca connections on some AMP may let the quality down.

Sounds as though the NAD will work out well then. Enjoy :)

Thanks , i cant wait to get it now , (almost as exciting as a birth)My wife would kill me if would read that.

I just have to find one for a descent price.Thanks for all your advice and help.

I think dsd being owned by Sony wont allow transfer via coax for copyright issues.

Dacs find hdmi harder to get a grip of or jag onto the clock.

Prob with going analog a lot of the time is sacd does dac, passes it to avr which tries to make digital again to overlay filters and Eq management which in turn makes the original source ambiguous to say the least.

Your new NAD may be able to function as a power amp. Thereby disabling volume control and Eq management etc. ie going direct and just amplifying 5 channels. If so an upgrade one day could be to use the superior dac on an oppo or lexicon pre to supply your NAD.

I have found this approach vastly superior.

You can't use your avr to do any volume control or Eq management though. This will take the superior signal straight to the amplification stage.

The amplification you've chosen is nice though. Actual power is different to brochure power which NAD has been truthful.

Let us know how it sounds to you.

I think dsd being owned by Sony wont allow transfer via coax for copyright issues. Dacs find hdmi harder to get a grip of or jag onto the clock. Prob with going analog a lot of the time is sacd does dac, passes it to avr which tries to make digital again to overlay filters and Eq management which in turn makes the original source ambiguous to say the least. Your new NAD may be able to function as a power amp. Thereby disabling volume control and Eq management etc. ie going direct and just amplifying 5 channels. If so an upgrade one day could be to use the superior dac on an oppo or lexicon pre to supply your NAD. I have found this approach vastly superior. You can't use your avr to do any volume control or Eq management though. This will take the superior signal straight to the amplification stage. The amplification you've chosen is nice though. Actual power is different to brochure power which NAD has been truthful. Let us know how it sounds to you.

Oh yes i will ,, i hope to get it within the next couple of weeks.

Just wanted to thank you guys again for all your inputs it has helped me to form a decision that i am very happy with , i have just bought 

the T777 and will be receiving it this week got it for a good price i believe. $2300 i just  couldnt say no.

I will keep you posted on the results.Thanks again

Henk