Need Advice on Purchasing a new Avr Please

Hi  i have been trying to find out what Model and or Brand will accept DSD Via HDMI and not Covert it to PCM,as i have discovered is

that it is not very well advertised or specified in Manuals or brochures , so is there another way of finding out? Does anyone have any

recommendation in what i should look at. My Budget is about $1500 plus or minus  i dont care about WIFI and fancy features as as it has

the latest technology to play just about anything have HDMI and sound Good.Thanks in advance  :)

The Yamaha V1900 and V3900 certainly do what you ask.

But I don't know why you would want it? Any processing at all in the AVR will necessitate conversion to PCM. So you will be limited to 'pure direct' mode only. In which case you might as well use the analog outputs of the SACD player.

Any processing at all in the AVR will necessitate conversion to PCM

This is the issue.   Any bass management, delay, or processing requires it to be converted to digital.

There are very few which can do any type of processing at all in DSD ... so using the analog outputs of the player would (could) be better in that case .... There are also a lot of misnomers around about if (and why) DSD sounds better...   but poor DSD > PCM conversion can be pretty common AFAIUI.

I'd really be looking for a device which can play DSD well  (whether it converts it a lot) .... but more importantly one which has all the bass management and setup features you need to get the most out of the setup/room, which will be a lot more important (make more difference).

This is the issue.   Any bass management, delay, or processing requires it to be converted to digital.

There are very few which can do any type of processing at all in DSD ... so using the analog outputs of the player would (could) be better in that case .... There are also a lot of misnomers around about if (and why) DSD sounds better...   but poor DSD > PCM conversion can be pretty common AFAIUI.

I'd really be looking for a device which can play DSD well  (whether it converts it a lot) .... but more importantly one which has all the bass management and setup features you need to get the most out of the setup/room, which will be a lot more important (make more difference).

How do i find that? 

Try this Pioneer (http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront4/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=1340&CatId=64,9,100). Its may not be 100% what you are after, but it is a start. 

post-111055-0-76103500-1380632702_thumb.

The LX57 is more in your budget range. 

EDIT: Sony is now embracing high-res/DSD in a big way (pretty ironic), so may be worth keeping an eye out for their next AVR range. 

Edited by LHC

Try this Pioneer (http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront4/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=1340&CatId=64,9,100). Its may not be 100% what you are after, but it is a start. 

attachicon.gifDSD_Playback_via_USB_and_HDMI.jpg

The LX57 is more in your budget range. 

EDIT: Sony is now embracing high-res/DSD in a big way (pretty ironic), so may be worth keeping an eye out for their next AVR range. 

Thank you i will look into this one.Have you ever heard the Pioneer range? I wonder how the audio side would sound.

You also mentioned converting it to digital isnt it digital allready?  also DSD to PCM the amp should be able to play it without Coversion

to PCM.

For the the receiver to process DSD (for bass management, delay, volume, etc, etc.) ... it will need to either have dedicated circuitry for DSD, or convert to PCM.

You also mentioned converting it to digital isnt it digital allready?  also DSD to PCM the amp should be able to play it without Coversion to PCM.

Sorry, I meant convert to PCM.

It is not always true to say "it should be able to play DSD without conversion" ....   in fact it is quite uncommon.   It would require a DAC chip which can play DSD natively, and then would also require disabling all the DSP features of the unit .... or employing some type of DSP which can handle DSD (ie.  DSD -> PCM conversion).

As you can see from post #10.   Even most top of the range AVRs don't handle DSD directly ... or only in 2 channel, 1x.

For the the receiver to process DSD (for bass management, delay, volume, etc, etc.) ... it will need to either have dedicated circuitry for DSD, or convert to PCM.

Sorry, I meant convert to PCM.

It is not always true to say "it should be able to play DSD without conversion" ....   in fact it is quite uncommon.   It would require a DAC chip which can play DSD natively, and then would also require disabling all the DSP features of the unit .... or employing some type of DSP which can handle DSD (ie.  DSD -> PCM conversion).

As you can see from post #10.   Even most top of the range AVRs don't handle DSD directly ... or only in 2 channel, 1x.

What do you think would be the best way to listen to Multichannel sacd"s in the best quality possible?

What do you think would be the best way to listen to Multichannel sacd"s in the best quality possible?

If you want bass management, delay, etc.... or any other type external DSP / active speaker ..... then you are going to pretty much have to accept DSD -> PCM, AFAIAA

Otherwise you will need need a speaker setup with correct distances for SACD  (you'll have no delay / audyssey, or anything).

If you want bass management, delay, etc.... or any other type external DSP / active speaker ..... then you are going to pretty much have to accept DSD -> PCM, AFAIAA

Otherwise you will need need a speaker setup with correct distances for SACD  (you'll have no delay / audyssey, or anything).

By accepting DSD to PCM is how do i Choose one that does a descent Conversion?

better off grabbing a sony sacd player with DSD dac on board.

if want an avr that will accept DSD over hdmi. thats another question. all the denons do in my experience.

the 4311 here is a pretty decent avr that will accept dsd over hdmi :)

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/56525-fs-4311-black/

better off grabbing a sony sacd player with DSD dac on board.

if want an avr that will accept DSD over hdmi. thats another question. all the denons do in my experience.

the 4311 here is a pretty decent avr that will accept dsd over hdmi :)

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/56525-fs-4311-black/

Thank you

I do have a Pioneer LX 55  for sacd's and it does DSD via HDMI would the sony be a better Choice or would the pioneer be good enough?

I do have a Pioneer LX 55  for sacd's and it does DSD via HDMI would the sony be a better Choice or would the pioneer be good enough?

A Pioneer AVR would allow you to use their PQLS link to stream DSD from your player, supposedly with minimal jitters.  

If you want to choose between two AVRs based on their sonic capability, I suspect that there must be other aspects of their audio performance that affect their comparative sonics more than the DSD-to-PCM conversion. 

I was hoping to choose at least between 2 or 3,    thats why i am here   to get some advice   as i feel  i am  lost

I tend to suggest Yamaha because I know they are good on audio. The Aventage series is meant to have special attention to audio (click on 'Construction' and 'Performance' boxes in the previous link), so in your price range I suggest the RX-A1010. It will accept DSD input in 2-ch or 5.1-ch over HDMI.

I hope this is a useful suggestion, and good luck with your purchase. ;)

I tend to suggest Yamaha because I know they are good on audio. The Aventage series is meant to have special attention to audio (click on 'Construction' and 'Performance' boxes in the previous link), so in your price range I suggest the RX-A1010. It will accept DSD input in 2-ch or 5.1-ch over HDMI.

I hope this is a useful suggestion, and good luck with your purchase. ;)

Thank you Newman , really apreciate it Cheers :)