Living room system

• 3 months later...

It's clutching at straws to call this a system upgrade but JB Hi-Fi have 30% off digital radios at the moment so I scratched an itch. Having done no prior research I chose a Sony based purely on price point and superficial assessment of build quality. As a standalone table radio the sound is underwhelming. But lined into the main system it's not too bad. Of course the main reason for digital radio is ABC Grandstand, where sound quality isn't a major consideration.

SonyDAB_zpsd7a9f4ce.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice speaker stands factory green or did you do that

Sent from my iPhone 5

The funky green speaker stands belong to @@adamg, not me. He might chime in with more information.

One of my favourite threads Monty. It is great to see a love of music triumphing over a love of gear.

Thanks Telecine. I have enjoyed the many little stories of people listening to music as children and playing music to their kids.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Yesterday I bought the Yamaha GT-750 turntable from the classifieds. Big thanks to @@ferchersan for taking time out of his Sunday to check it out for me. An everyday example of SNA community spirit. Unfortunately it will probably be a few weeks before I get up to Sydney to pick it up and bring it home for a play.

I like vintage direct drive turntables and while the real statement products are and will remain out of my league, this seemed like a good chance to get a high performing and appealingly beastly bit of kit at a price I was prepared to pay. And it says 'GIGANTIC AND TREMENDOUS' on the badge.

An exciting upgrade for me, as I've only ever had fairly basic turntables. I'll add thoughts and photos when I get it in my system.

• Like 2

Enjoyable following a story that refreshes my memory of my introduction to Hi Fi as well , making do while my daughters were very young and enjoyed dancing to most of my music , thank you for sharing your story . :thumb:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From my first post in this thread:

Where do I want to go with this? To be honest I’m torn. Hanging out on SNA normalises flash systems and frequent upgrade cycles. I can’t help thinking my speakers would benefit from more capable amplification and that my music collection is worthy of better playback components. Wouldn’t it be nice to try one of Earle’s Topaz KT120s; a new CD spinner with digital inputs so I can also dabble further in computer audio; a nice hunk of vintage direct drive goodness…and so on.

---------------------------

COME IN SPINNER!

After a few weeks in limbo I now have my Yamaha GT-750 down from Sydney. What a beast! It just fits in the sideboard on the existing shelf.

It sold with an Ortofon MC10 Supreme cartridge, but I don't have an MC phono stage so for now I have set it up with the AT-110E cartridge I've been using on my TEAC.

It's a beautiful thing. Fantastic engineering and build quality (compared with anything I've used) and I love the layout of the controls.

First LP on the platter is Funkadelic One Nation Under A Groove.

WP_20141117_001_zpsff375cd4.jpg

WP_20141117_004_zps9e56e8f5.jpgWP_20141117_007_zps369d9c04.jpg

• Like 5

Love it, a similar experience to mine. The only piece of equipment in my 2ch system purchased new, was at used prices... and several pieces are inherited from my father.

Anyway, I love the way you are making music part of the kids upbringing. I'm trying to do the same but a here's a cautionary tale, don't buy ABBA gold on vinyl. I've had to put my copy out of reach as it's the only thing my girls want to listen to :blink:

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

New living room. Some of the same old gear plus a new DAC. I miss my CDs and records but it's all sounding very good, frequently high noise floor notwithstanding (fans, air conditioners, adjacent construction site, water pumps, back-up generators, mosquito fogging). 

IMG_0545_zpskkjkiwpe.jpg

MacBook Pro/iTunes

Chord Mojo

Denon DVD-3300

Marantz PM-6010 OSE 

Orpheus Aurora 3

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

image.png.8b2f0f48eec40a0badc9a2027d4bf84d.png

I finally got round to setting up a desktop system. Our main desk has been doing double duty as a sewing table, which meant no room for speakers. We recently picked up this second desk, so out came the JBLs. For around $450 new, they really are impressive, though I should work out some stands to raise them up a bit. I've had the 701s for several years now. I'm not a big headphone listener but I like these: comfortable and they sound good to me. I've never felt the need to upgrade or try a different flavour. The Mojo is overkill here, but I found its being battery powered made it inconvenient to use in the main system. So I went back to using the Centrance DACport there. And here the Mojo is. 

iMac

Chord Mojo

JBL LSR 305

AKG Q701

• 4 years later...

PXL_20211015_030739205.thumb.jpg.c13a3d937c6900c4eacd5546c8f91f3b.jpg

I haven't updated this thread in ages. We are (long) back in the original house/living room with the 'B' system set up in the opposite wall. 

Teac PX-500 with Audio-Technica VM520EB cartridge

Marantz CD6000 OSE 

Chromecast Audio

NAD 705 Stereo Receiver

Paradigm Mini Monitors

It's a good little system but I miss the 'A' team, especially the Orpheus speakers. I have amp issues but haven't got round to getting them repaired or replaced. Must do!

• Like 3