Primacoustic Max Trap

Managed to drag one of these 24kg monsters back from a recent trip to Singapore (saving me $170 off retail here) Was one of the few that went down below 50Hz which I have a slight issue with in my room.

Comes as a flat pack so you need to assemble the unit and goes together much like IKEA furniture. Hanging was the most difficult as I realised none of my walls or roof were square :)

Unfortunately i won't know how we'll it works until my speakers arrive in approx 3 weeks time

post-122789-0-98746300-1380233195_thumb.

Edited by Tubularbells

interested to read your comments on the effects once your speakers arrive.

how is the membrane attached? does it merely hang from the top? or is it secured all the way around 4 edges? interested to know how taught or limp the membrane is once installed...

thanks tb!

• 4 months later...

Hi TB

So there's no sealed chamber behind the limp mass?

Has it made much difference?

I'm keen to try some DIY traps with MAss loaded vinyl, and my research to date is that the membrane seals a chamber with the absorption freq adjusted by modifying the depth of the sealed chamber.

They would be easier to build if no sealed chamber was required

Mike

Nope just air space behind the membrane. The instructions posted above show how its constructed which is pretty basic. I originally also thought it it was fully enclosed but it isn't. Could probably get the same LF absorption by draping some mass loaded vinyl from the roof at a certain distance the room corners.

And yes definitely tightened up the bass in my room however that said just the one unit wont perform miracles so could perhaps use another in the opposite corner.

• 3 months later...

Nope just air space behind the membrane. The instructions posted above show how its constructed which is pretty basic. I originally also thought it it was fully enclosed but it isn't. Could probably get the same LF absorption by draping some mass loaded vinyl from the roof at a certain distance the room corners.

And yes definitely tightened up the bass in my room however that said just the one unit wont perform miracles so could perhaps use another in the opposite corner.

So you only have one in the room? I'm looking at putting two of theses in a 7x4.5m room. Do you think two would be enough in my situation?