dvklddvl_embeded_image_2.jpg

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/accessories/DVKLDDVL.aspx

I love my P5s and look like B&W have a new set in larger over ear P7s. sound pretty interesting and at rrp $499 look like taking sennheiser head on ...pardon the pun :D

look forward to checking them out. as previous sennheiser owner(580s, HD650, HD800) I seem to be turning into a b&w headphone fan :D

• Like 1

P7 now on the B&W site,

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P7/explore.html

also seem to come in a nice brown leather for something different :)

BW-P7-case.jpg

plus first review here, gets 4.5/5

http://stereos.about.com/od/StereoHeadphoneReviews/fr/Review-Bandw-P7-Over-ear-Headphone.htm

Had a bit of a listen to the B&W p5s in a Harvey Norman store recently. Not bad sounding at all (and I like the way they look too). The demo music selection would obviously have been carefuly chosen to impress, but at least it was a varied selection of music, and not all bass-heavy, doof doof hip-hoppy stuff. Hard to judge how they would compare to my Sennheiser HD565s without hearing them plugged into the same source, of course. First impressions are that the B&Ws may have struck a reasonable compromise between portability and audio performance. I'm not really in the market for a new set of phones, but I currently don't have anything I can use outdoors, so.... these do look interesting!

As a sidenote, while I was in the store there was a small group of gen-y guys engrossed with the Dr Dre, Skull Candy, etc phones. They didn't even give the B&Ws a glance. Sad really.

There were actually three sets of B&W headphones. I had a quick listen to each of them, but must admit that I didn't check which model was which. Presumably p3, p5 and p7. Might have to go back for another listen.

Edited by emesbee

• 1 month later...

picked up a pair from Tivoli today. Lovely pair of headphones :)

10990274705_6f70990b00_b.jpg

10990277305_0e1d2a1b0c_b.jpg

10990375246_623bb471fc_b.jpg

10990377946_e7be30d71f_b.jpg

10990487763_a7ca4cceb5_b.jpg

10990446744_4b119c9772_b.jpg

lovely smell of leather opening up the box, beautifully packaged and class item in fit finish and quality. lovely black leather case they come with too, to pack them away in. 

compared with the sennheisser hd650 just out of curiosity. Quite different headphones. The P7s are a lot louder for the same input, adjusting back level to match the 650s and the p7s I felt were punchier, good detail and definitely tighter sounding. I like being a closed back design they block out ambient noise too. Very pleased :)
  • Like 3

hi norpus, still have the hd580s :)

I've gone full circle. I did buy a pair of hd650, but found the head clamp on them a bit too much. not sure what the go was but a bit tiring. hd800 went as lack of use seemed a bit of a waste to have them collecting dust ! sold off most of my headphone gear at the time. 

heard the hd800 again at the show recently they definitely are a nice headphone. who knows one day again :D

in the mean time happy enough with the B&Ws :) .... which seem to be drawing me back into headphones again :lol:

Edited by :) al

What was the reason of lack of use of the HD800? Headphones or other factors? (Lifestyle factors, hobby change, gear **** etc)

just that time of life lot going on, and yes for some reason waning interest in headphones as was enjoying more just listening to my either systems. the hd800 was a lot of money too $2k item when bought it so seemed like a lot of cash to have on something hardly getting any use.

though I am seem to be getting drawn into headphones again so who knows, maybe give them a shot again one day :)

Al,

You had these for nearly ten days, any new thoughts about the P7s?

what ten days already ? hehe even though been a bit time poor have been listening to them over the last week dolphy. did some comparisons back to the sennheiser HD580s I have and the p5s. 

11145369624_5cb30ebdd6_b.jpg

given the p7s a shot via the only headphone amp have these days, an old audio alchemy (pure class A thing that runs hot ! has some serious kick and doesn't hold any prisoners hehe). the P7s have some marvellous detail comparing back to the p5s they're in every way a step above, bass, top end, detail the lot.

in comparison the HD580s sound a lot more laid back. the p7s has them for detail, top end and drive. the 580s while don't have the same mid bass drive they have more depth in bass and a more delicate sound to them overall. the B&Ws a comfortable fit overall too and they enclose the ears completely as well so block out the ambient noise even more compared to the open design of the sennheisers.

also tried plugging into my iPhone to see how these go, and the p7s like the p5 work very well with iPhone, they don't take as big a hit to the sound as the senns do when not powering off a headphone amp. 

overall am impressed with the p7s :)

• Like 1

They look very comfortable- could you listen to them for several hours?

You mention the detail is excellent, are they bright?

Are they stable and secure on your head?

They're a nice looking piece if kit, very keen to hear.

They look very comfortable- could you listen to them for several hours?

You mention the detail is excellent, are they bright?

Are they stable and secure on your head?

They're a nice looking piece if kit, very keen to hear.

they are pretty comfortable, no head clamp like say the hd650, and hence something could listen to for extended sessions I would say :)

stable and secure yep, brightness is a relative thing, they aren't dull or muted in the top end and I wouldn't say they're bright in a negative way. probably best to listen for self to decide. yeah probably one of the nicest put together headphones out there I'd say :)

some good reviews here of them kaynin,

http://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/bowers-wilkins-p7-review/

http://www.t3.com/reviews/b-and-w-p7-review

http://www.whathifi.com/review/bw-p7

• 2 weeks later...

what ten days already ? hehe even though been a bit time poor have been listening to them over the last week dolphy. did some comparisons back to the sennheiser HD580s I have and the p5s. 

11145369624_5cb30ebdd6_b.jpg

given the p7s a shot via the only headphone amp have these days, an old audio alchemy (pure class A thing that runs hot ! has some serious kick and doesn't hold any prisoners hehe). the P7s have some marvellous detail comparing back to the p5s they're in every way a step above, bass, top end, detail the lot.

in comparison the HD580s sound a lot more laid back. the p7s has them for detail, top end and drive. the 580s while don't have the same mid bass drive they have more depth in bass and a more delicate sound to them overall. the B&Ws a comfortable fit overall too and they enclose the ears completely as well so block out the ambient noise even more compared to the open design of the sennheisers.

also tried plugging into my iPhone to see how these go, and the p7s like the p5 work very well with iPhone, they don't take as big a hit to the sound as the senns do when not powering off a headphone amp. 

al i like your reviews on audio/video things

• Like 1

al i like your reviews on audio/video things

+1. Thanks Al. Just adding this to my lust list.

:)

- also review here: http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/bowers-wilkins-p7-1200293/review

seems it must be very dependant on what shape head you have as to whether these isolate well. In the review Al linked, they got a good plug for isolation, not so in this review.

C

Edited by Juicester
  • Like 1

+1. Thanks Al. Just adding this to my lust list.

:)

- also review here: http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/bowers-wilkins-p7-1200293/review

seems it must be very dependant on what shape head you have as to whether these isolate well. In the review Al linked, they got a good plug for isolation, not so in this review.

C

hi jc, no doubt head shape with headphones a factor. I would class these as more sound isolating than open backs like the sennheisser. but they are not totally isolating I don't think. partly too they don't head clamp with pressure on the head for a seal and isolation. which I think a good thing, was main reason I tired of the hd650s and sold them. the review does pick up very well on just how gorgeous these are as headphones, perhaps not for everyone but sonically will have wide appeal I think  :)

• 2 weeks later...

The new NAD headphones are getting great reviews, as are the new Focal's, Mr Speakers alpha dogs, and the Kef's are nice also :)

Lots of options..

yep, I just received my NAD VISO HP50's, (after a 6week wait) and they are a STONKING set of cans, the best I have heard period, including b@w's ect.  there "roomfeel " design by Paul Burton ( PSB speakers father) does things that others cant? orsome in all areas and neutral in sound,also the largest soundstage I have every heard! and that's not the best part. 

ONLY $280!!!!!!     p.s before I get shot down on my opinion ,its only my opinion. cheers

Guest fordgtlover

I quite liked the sound of the P5s, but just couldn't wear them for more than about 30 minutes. I found the clamping pressure to be too much despite stretching them (which helped a lot). I had a quick listen to the P7s in the Apple store recently. They seemed comfortable, but I couldn't come to any listing conclusions.

The HD580 remains one of my favourite comfort headphones. They are comfortable and offers a really easy and pleasant listening experience. I drag mine out from time to time for some easy listening.

yep, I just received my NAD VISO HP50's, (after a 6week wait) and they are a STONKING set of cans, the best I have heard period, including b@w's ect.  there "roomfeel " design by Paul Burton ( PSB speakers father) does things that others cant? orsome in all areas and neutral in sound,also the largest soundstage I have every heard! and that's not the best part.

ONLY $280!!!!!!     p.s before I get shot down on my opinion ,its only my opinion. cheers

Thanks for the update. I can't see that anyone will shoot you down. Reviews and opinions on the NADs are still thin on the ground. I appreciate you posting your views.

Edited by fordgtlover
  • Like 1