Hire / Loan Discussion Forum

Marc

• Administrator

Hi all. Just a bit of info regarding this forum. Having a dedicated forum for the loaning or hire of products / gear between members, was inspired by Adam, and I thought it was a great concept.

We will absolutely need a set of guidelines for this to exist and to be effective. This should be for private members only, and commercial offerings should remain within their own sponsor forums.

Let's put it back out to you guys to decide what the guidelines for hiring or lending gear or instruments (measuring), to others could/should be?

We'll trial this forum for 3 months. If it's popular it will remain and be supported by SNA with guidelines in place.

Note: StereoNET accepts no responsibility for the transactions organised through this forum. You participate in this forum at your own risk.

• Like 2

That sounds like an excellent idea Marc, in my experience the biggest risk involved will be postage/courier handling of the gear.  Will we be starting a new thread for each piece of gear or one thread per person offering stuff to borrow or have a "wanted to borrow" section?  And maybe a "I broke it, I bought it." section too! :)

We could use the classifieds rules as a starter and work our way from there.

Just want to share my interest and support in this idea. andyr has graciously loaned me some slate slabs and squash balls just a couple of days ago, for the purpose of testing their isolation efficacy. It's been great to be able to test before committing to a buy.

Some sort of feedback system may be handy. Perhaps it could be integrated into the current trading feedback, whereby there's a field which indicates if it was a buy/sale or loan. Would it be worthwhile adding a 'value' or 'item' field to indicate the 'weight' of the loan (i.e. to what value can they be trusted?)?

Extra ideas:

• Loan period
  • Loan conditions (e.g. break it, you buy it; no smoking/pets; transit conditions)
    • Perhaps an agreed value of the item for break it/buy it
  • 'Swap' loan (i.e. I want to test X and am willing to loan Y, or Z)
  • Like 1

Excellent initiative. My experience with customers in this industry is that the vast majority are generous and forthcoming when it comes to things like this. Some have even come to my rescue for certain situations. Hopefully there are some great outcomes with this type of thing. Nice one. 

• Like 3

some members have been doing this already for some time  :)

its a great way to try things at home, and i happily loan my equipment to those i have made good friends with and know i can trust.

I sent my speakers cables on a little tour of the east coast of Oz for most of this year and they arrived back safe and sound and ...run in!

Each person who had them then sent them onto the next person and eventually they came back. So in that respect it worked well and all those people got to hear a different speaker cable without outlaying any dosh...sweet.

The biggest killer of an idea like this would be the cost of transport if something has to go interstate, it's not cheap as most of us know and of course you'll need insurance as well which could make any weighty item uneconomical to send.

But all those living in the big smoke should be cool because you'd pick-up and or deliver I'd imagine and that takes most of the cost and hassle out.

• Like 2

Show of support here for this initiative. I have already experienced the benefit of loans from cafad in particular (thanks Jeff).

I don't have many components not in use but would readily swap gear with those interested.

The hardest thing will be agreeing on condition item left loaner and condition returned.

I listened to the amp I bought from an SNAer before buying. No problems his house, no problems my house first play, next morning the thing had lost most of its power. The SNAer took it back and had it fixed - no questions. Point is - stuff just happens with Hi Fi gear. Not often in my experience but it does happen.

Obviously we need to protect the loaner from any undue expense. That said the loaner needs to accept some risk, just not mistreatment. Hope we can work something out.

I'm also open to remunerating the loaner in some way, in some circumstances.

Edited by adamg

• 8 months later...

I don't know whether this is done here, but I'd be interested in loaning my amp while trying out someone elses. I think it helps if things are of similar dosh value. I'd like to try a Creek Destiny amp and have a Cyrus 8vs2 with PXS-r to temporary swap if anyone's in Melbourne is interested?

Cheers,

Rich

It is most definitely done here. I have just finished finished a 1 month tenure with a fellow forum members Redgum amp. Swappe it for my Creek 5350. I was very happy with the experience overall, it gave me a chance to experience an amp I had always wanted to but otherwise wouldn't have had the chance to.

Great idea guys!

I can really see the merits of this system especially for anyone in a big city.

From a personal perspective however, I am a bit worried that if I lent out my Edison Rolls and crystal set, if anyone damaged them, I'd have to foreclose on their mortgage to recover their cost. ;)

• 2 months later...

Can I loan or swap myself as "gear" ?

Sound engineer and keyboardist with all the gear, available sometimes.....

Got to be worth more than a Drummer :cool:

On the unofficial loan program, I have been fortunate to have two valuable loans, firstly... Tele' loan me a CA phono a while back...that got me off my butt pronto to built up a kit stage, so as to be back into records :) cheers mate.

The second was a loan of a EAR Clone off Jasper (compared it to the tweaked jfet kit) sounded nice enough that I now have bought one of these great bang for buck... stages.

Thanks again :)

OH! where do we post "wanted to trade" ?

• 3 years later...

Someone read through this old thread and gave out a few likes here and there just recently.

I wonder if 4 years on, the same vibe is about in the new expanded combined metamorphosed SNA?

Would I send a set of cables out on tour gain? No. Would I send an amplifier off on a tour again? No. Would I send/gift some rare-ish timbers for facades and small enclosures off again? No.

Why? 

Probably the thing to remember(and I should) is that the gift of giving is in the giving and that's all you need at the end of the day yeah?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...