Sign in to follow this  
Briz Vegas

Tesla Model S

The Tesla S is a great looking car, had my first real life spot in Copenhagen recently. A truly properly engineered, practical electric car. Read a great article in Autocar on these and after reading up on the nitty gritty can see that Tesla is doing things right and taking a long term view

I like them.

It's a 70km round trip for petrol here so a proper all electric and affordable car would be useful.

As far as going up in flames is concerned I think in the future they will be amazed we cart around a tank full of flamable liquid and then set fire to it to go along.

After Better Place went down the plug hole so did my hopes for a semi affordable Fluence ZE in Australie with unlimited kms. Tesla works great in Canada, which is great. Not so good in the colonies with next to zero infrastructure. Tony and Campbell would not know innovation if it bit them. I expect nothing from them and know I will not be disappointed, unless you consider the Segway a good outcome. We just need to make electric car charging a tourism venture.

Will Telsa bring fast charging to our country with the S. We are a pretty small market so I am guessing not. I guess I'll just keep watching this space. I understand Tesla Model S will start arriving here in about 6 months.

They're a pretty good looking car for sure, but with our electricity infrastructure, we're only going to get bent over a barrel without lube to recharge one.  The electricity providers whinge they have to put the price of electricity up because we use too much and then whinge that we don't use enough so have to put the price up again.  I can only imagine what would happen if everyone had to recharge their car everyday as well.

Got a drive yesterday in BMW's new i3 Electric car, very nippy thing! You really do notice the torque from 0 revs of the electric motor even from the passenger seat. Salesman backed her up and plugged it for a charge which seemed quite odd, think he said 3hrs from flat to full charge. The dealership is installing fast charge points that cut this dramatically. He reckons he drives it home each night, plugs it in for a charge as he does his phone and he is ready to go the next day. Apparently the BMW i8 is for sale her now too, supposed to be quite a performer. Some exciting performance cars ahead in the future I reckon.

Edited by mondie

I'm thinking seriously about buying an S85. A charger at my Melbourne apartment and my country place, I can easily manage the range. I'll see how much my new house costs to build, any money left over and Tesla here I come :party

The CEO of one of the contractors we use in Houston has a Tesla S, loves it. It looks really good in the flesh

Edited by frankn

Put down a deposit for a place on the waiting list. Local prices in the next 2 weeks apparently. When I did the sums of a weekly round trip alone costing $150 in petrol v $10 in electricity, plus the lower service costs (everything apart from tyres) then it starts to look less of a luxury

Less of a luxury would depend on the purchase cost as well yeah ?

What's it cost ?

No costs released yet. The big problem that is working against Tesla is the 'luxury' car tax. All but the 60kW/hr version will be over the threshold when the only change to the car is a larger capacity battery, essentially a larger fuel tank. Nobody is expecting any favours from any Coalition Government for this sort of technology. The consensus is that the 60kW/hr version may be a touch under $70k, the 85kW/hr around $93k with no options. If I can afford one it'll be a poverty pack S85

Amazing if the Tesla gets hit by LCT! Is it still not the case that Oz has lesser taxes on 4WD veicles hence for example the X5 is much better value than an equivalent spec 5 series?

In Europe rego is based on CO2 output so the Tesla would be near zero rego (road tax) and there is no such thing as LCT. The past protectionism of the Aussie car makers has done nothing to save them and now Oz is left with extortionate car prices.

Edited by mondie

Here is an exemple of a society that believes in the futur of electric cars.

"The Parliament of Norway set the goal to reach 50,000 zero emission vehicles by 2018. Among the existing incentives, all-electric cars are exempt in Norway from all non-recurring vehicle fees, including purchase taxes, which are extremely high for ordinary cars, and 25% VAT on purchase, together making electric car purchase price competitive with conventional cars.[14] As an example, by early 2013 the price of the top selling Nissan Leaf is 240,690 krone (around US$42,500) while the purchase price of the 1.3-lt Volkswagen Golf is 238,000 Krone (aboutUS$42,000).[7] Electric vehicles are also exempt from the annual road tax, all public parking fees, and toll payments, as well as being able to use bus lanes.[14][15] These incentives are in effect until 2018 or until the 50,000 EV target is achieved"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicles_in_Norway

You really do notice the torque from 0 revs of the electric motor even from the passenger seat.

Some exciting performance cars ahead in the future I reckon.

I am really interested to see the technology applied to off road use where the application of independent computer controlled max torque/zero rpm  to individual wheels (for driving and retarding) will change the game when it comes to traction control. Also in an off road vehicle space and mass are nothing like the design constraints they are in a city car. It will lead to some revolutionary design solutions I expect.

Tesla Model S Is Best Selling Car In Norway — Busts Norway’s Monthly Sales Record… For Any Car

Read more at http://cleantechnica.com/2014/04/04/tesla-model-s-best-selling-car-norway/#PEjlOIPcbC4bE4sD.99

Teslas are imported and finished in Norway, it's the European distribution centre. They are popular in Nordic countries because of their good traction. It's also nifty that you can use the iPhone app to remotely turn on the car interior heating whilst its still charging in the garage so that when you get it it's already cosy and warm :)

I'm not expecting any favours from this Government regarding the LCT, I'll just have to pay it so that they can pay for Direct Action'.