Sign in to follow this  
Briz Vegas

Tesla Model S

Less of a luxury would depend on the purchase cost as well yeah ?

What's it cost ?

No costs released yet. The big problem that is working against Tesla is the 'luxury' car tax. All but the 60kW/hr version will be over the threshold when the only change to the car is a larger capacity battery, essentially a larger fuel tank. Nobody is expecting any favours from any Coalition Government for this sort of technology. The consensus is that the 60kW/hr version may be a touch under $70k, the 85kW/hr around $93k with no options. If I can afford one it'll be a poverty pack S85

Amazing if the Tesla gets hit by LCT! Is it still not the case that Oz has lesser taxes on 4WD veicles hence for example the X5 is much better value than an equivalent spec 5 series?

In Europe rego is based on CO2 output so the Tesla would be near zero rego (road tax) and there is no such thing as LCT. The past protectionism of the Aussie car makers has done nothing to save them and now Oz is left with extortionate car prices.

Edited by mondie

Here is an exemple of a society that believes in the futur of electric cars.

"The Parliament of Norway set the goal to reach 50,000 zero emission vehicles by 2018. Among the existing incentives, all-electric cars are exempt in Norway from all non-recurring vehicle fees, including purchase taxes, which are extremely high for ordinary cars, and 25% VAT on purchase, together making electric car purchase price competitive with conventional cars.[14] As an example, by early 2013 the price of the top selling Nissan Leaf is 240,690 krone (around US$42,500) while the purchase price of the 1.3-lt Volkswagen Golf is 238,000 Krone (aboutUS$42,000).[7] Electric vehicles are also exempt from the annual road tax, all public parking fees, and toll payments, as well as being able to use bus lanes.[14][15] These incentives are in effect until 2018 or until the 50,000 EV target is achieved"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicles_in_Norway

You really do notice the torque from 0 revs of the electric motor even from the passenger seat.

Some exciting performance cars ahead in the future I reckon.

I am really interested to see the technology applied to off road use where the application of independent computer controlled max torque/zero rpm  to individual wheels (for driving and retarding) will change the game when it comes to traction control. Also in an off road vehicle space and mass are nothing like the design constraints they are in a city car. It will lead to some revolutionary design solutions I expect.

Tesla Model S Is Best Selling Car In Norway — Busts Norway’s Monthly Sales Record… For Any Car

Read more at http://cleantechnica.com/2014/04/04/tesla-model-s-best-selling-car-norway/#PEjlOIPcbC4bE4sD.99

Teslas are imported and finished in Norway, it's the European distribution centre. They are popular in Nordic countries because of their good traction. It's also nifty that you can use the iPhone app to remotely turn on the car interior heating whilst its still charging in the garage so that when you get it it's already cosy and warm :)

I'm not expecting any favours from this Government regarding the LCT, I'll just have to pay it so that they can pay for Direct Action'.

I am really interested to see the technology applied to off road use where the application of independent computer controlled max torque/zero rpm to individual wheels (for driving and retarding) will change the game when it comes to traction control. Also in an off road vehicle space and mass are nothing like the design constraints they are in a city car. It will lead to some revolutionary design solutions I expect.

That is a very good point, although for off road it would be more like the Volt. You would probably need a petrol engine to give you the range people demand for an outback application, such as travelling to Woolies or picking the kids up from school, or maybe even the real outback for those 10% that actually get out there.

I note that Teslas can now come with underside titanium plating. The Tesla site has a movie of the plating smashing concrete under the car. Problem is, you build it stronger and bigger idiots try and push it to it limits. It's human nature.

Re government assistance, infrastructure or common sense tax rules. Nah, better to go it alone than having anything to do with the current mob of galahs.

Tony's dream of the future

Edited by Briz Vegas

All the hype over Tesla fires included one guy who whilst drunk drove his car straight across a roundabout, through a solid brick wall on the other side of the road at high speed. He got out of the car uninjured but the car caught fire!The other fires have come from battery casing punctures, a tow ball attachment in the middle of the road and a concrete block, hence the videos. The underside isn't titanium plated, it still uses thick Al plating but now they fit a Titanium deflector at the front of the battery pack, from the video it seems to do a good job of road debris. It's a free retro fit for all Model S

watching news today tesla's stock shares dropped 20%. not sure whats driving that, but things like that wouldnt have thought would really help the company ... 

watching news today tesla's stock shares dropped 20%. not sure whats driving that, but things like that wouldnt have thought would really help the company ... 

yes, over the last 2 months, but I wish that i'd bought some when they were under $20!

Anyone expecting any support from this Government?

Electric Vehicles and Luxury Car Tax

Most first-world countries have a variety of incentives designed to encourage the purchase and use of Electric Vehicles (EVs) on public roads.

Wikipedia has a great summary of these incentives. Unfortunately, Australia is conspicuous by its absence from that list of enlightened countries. There are no meaningful incentives from the federal or state government in Australia to help to drive the adoption of zero emission vehicles.

models-rhd-dash-e1399550249237.jpg?w=300

Tesla Model S Dashboard – the future awaits

EV’s can have a lower total cost of ownership than an internal combustion engined based vehicle, because the ‘fuel’ cost is much lower. However, the relatively high cost of the batteries means the up-front cost is typically higher.

To address this, most countries who have EV incentives focus those incentives upon reducing that up-front cost. This is typically done via tax credits.

In Australia, far from encouraging EV’s, we drive up their purchase cost by disproportionately adding tax to the sticker price!

That is because we have a federal “Luxury Car Tax” (LCT), which applies an import tax to vehicles above a defined threshold price.

Regardless of the rationale (or lack thereof) for the continued existence of LCT (it obviously didn’t save the local car industry),  there is a clear principle at play in its application.

In the the current LCT tax regime, cars below a defined threshold of fuel efficiency attract a lower rate of LCT.

If the principle of lower emission/higher energy efficiency vehicles being worthy of an LCT tax break applies, then surely any cars that generate zero emissions should attract an LCT of… zero.

models-energy-label-e1399550175232.jpg?w

Tesla Model S Energy Efficiency Label

This notion of ‘zero tax for zero emissions’ seems so darned obvious as an incentive to help consumers reduce atmospheric pollution via their choice of car.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the case with the LCT regime today.

As a result, we are living in a country where consumers are being punitively taxed for choosing a zero emission vehicle.

A great stretch goal would be for Australia to catch up with is international peer nations and install some positive consumer incentives to promote the adoption of EV’s.

But until that happy day, I wish the federal government could at least start out by removing the punitive LCT from the sticker price of zero emission vehicles.

The presence of LCT on zero emission vehicle purchases means that consumers who are trying to do their bit by investing in cars of this sort are paying additional tax for the privilege.

That hardly seems fair.

I can't be bothered looking at the moment, but I wasn't aware that our electricity generation was zero emission?

I can't be bothered looking at the moment, but I wasn't aware that our electricity generation was zero emission?

If generated from my PV panels, it is. If generated from renewable green power, it is. If generated from coal it isn't but even then is responsible for less emissions than petrol or diesel, equivalent of around 90mpg.

Model S test drives start in Australia very soon (2 weeks), and in a P85+ as well :)

here in perth we had a few buses catch fire only a few years ago!

seems the big business people in the usa don't like of feel threatened by tesla

money talks in the u.s.

It's the dealers that feel the most threatened as Tesla have worked out that dealers take their cut whilst adding little to the buyer experience and so sell direct, bypassing dealer networks completely

If generated from my PV panels, it is. If generated from renewable green power, it is. If generated from coal it isn't but even then is responsible for less emissions than petrol or diesel, equivalent of around 90mpg.

That depends if you have a storage for sunlight, im sure you will be doing driving during the day and plugging it in during the night.

That depends if you have a storage for sunlight, im sure you will be doing driving during the day and plugging it in during the night.

Yes, that's also why I buy renewable power. I will have some battery storage though, not enough to charge the whole car but even if it were generated purely from brown coal, the equivalent CO2 emissions are less than equivalent petrol powered cars

Most first-world countries have a variety of incentives designed to encourage the purchase and use of Electric Vehicles (EVs) on public roads.

Wikipedia has a great summary of these incentives. Unfortunately, Australia is conspicuous by its absence from that list of enlightened countries. 

unfortunately we don't have a progressive government, and for the majority an apathetic she'll be right attitude.. and burn coal mainly to produce electricity.

Well, they're looking for 1213 employees right now ... 

Yes, that's also why I buy renewable power. I will have some battery storage though, not enough to charge the whole car but even if it were generated purely from brown coal, the equivalent CO2 emissions are less than equivalent petrol powered cars

If you are going to spend $80K+ on a EV, im sure you're cashed up to have Lithium ion gel storage :P  :D

Alternative PROF, buy 2 and have one on timer to charge during the day....

Then they cost you a days sunshine to travel 400km, next to nothing and no carbon or fuel tax.... :)   But im sure some polititian will find a tax for it! :P

Now why didnt they used the roof and bonnet and fashion the PV's on them in case you are out in the sticks with no access to a plug.  I decided to get a petrol  driven lawn mower purely for this reason.

If you are going to spend $80K+ on a EV, im sure you're cashed up to have Lithium ion gel storage :P  :D

Alternative PROF, buy 2 and have one on timer to charge during the day....

Then they cost you a days sunshine to travel 400km, next to nothing and no carbon or fuel tax.... :)   But im sure some polititian will find a tax for it! :P

Now why didnt they used the roof and bonnet and fashion the PV's on them in case you are out in the sticks with no access to a plug.  I decided to get a petrol  driven lawn mower purely for this reason.

Actually it'll more than double what we've ever spent on a car before, but when you work out the total cost of ownership over 10-15 years it's much the same as an ICE car. If you work out how much power could be generated by a roof sized PV panel, it's infinitesimal and not worth the cost or complexity. 

It's the dealers that feel the most threatened as Tesla have worked out that dealers take their cut whilst adding little to the buyer experience and so sell direct, bypassing dealer networks completely

If Tesla bypass dealers, how do you test drive one?       Or is there a 30 day money back guarantee?