Sign in to follow this  
unclemack

Is there a TT bearing expert in Vic? the Luxman beckons..

24 hours pass, (continuous running), both speeds stable, no fluctuation!

Vince

i think you nailed it Vince

Duc

i think you nailed it Vince

Duc

Hi Duc,

Maybe, 36 hours now and speeds still stable, will continue to monitor.

Vince

Hi Duc,

Maybe, 36 hours now and speeds still stable, will continue to monitor.

Vince

Hi Vince .

i would call it a success mission .actually  i'm very surprise  the problem was caused y the bearing. i never have thought the bearing cause speed problem. i only recommend clean/checking  the bearing for the sake of it but never hope it will solve the problem , i suppose we live and learn :P

cheers

Duc

Hi Vince,

can you name the lubricant you used please!

Certainly; it's "FINISH LINE" available from bicycle shops.

Vince

58 hours pass, Luxman speeds still stable, hmm.

Not ruling out some intermittent problem that hasen't surfaced?

Like UM said, this Luxman has tricked others!

I think we can say the motor is not an issue.

Vince

Edited by Once Analog

Luxman Bearing Service Difficult

The Luxman bearing is held in place with a 55mm Hex nut and someone had used "Loc Tite" on the thread!

I lost 2 hours removing the bearing housing. How was it done? I removed the platter support bracket and submerged the nut in a saucepan of boiling water.

The oil was the worst condition I have ever seen!

Vince

ve9eheba.jpg Another shot of the beauty courtesy of Vince. Cheers M

The Luxman bearing is held in place with a 55mm Hex nut and someone had used "Loc Tite" on the thread!

I lost 2 hours removing the bearing housing. How was it done? I removed the platter support bracket and submerged the nut in a saucepan of boiling water.

Vince

Would this have been done during manufacturing?

The drive IC still ran away and the speed increased. He posted that he could get this effect to happen, simply by heating up the IC with a hair dryer.

Regards,

Andy

Quite common Andy.

After applying the hair dryer trick to heat up the IC, giving the motor erratic behaviour, it should have been followed up with swabbing the IC with methylated spirits which would pull the heat from the IC very effectively.

Monitoring the motor speed. Repeated several times would have given the IC pattern? If constant, would have shown the IC is sensitive to temperature change and show the IC had a problem, even though changed.

My next test.

Vince

Also Noted:

I have been running the Luxman, (trouble free) without the bottom cover. Underneath the Luxman is a confined area, the metal sealed cover, with the exception of the phono cable hole, (back right hand corner) has NO vented holes, especially above the cct board - do we have an oven here effecting the IC?

Vince

Edited by Once Analog

There's only on e way to tell, keep in mind that the Luxman has been this way new out of the box, new, it hasnt had a problem until now!

There's only on e way to tell, keep in mind that the Luxman has been this way new out of the box, new, it hasnt had a problem until now!t

Yes, you would think that an oven effect would point to a design flaw which very quickly would have been discovered and well documented. Still, this TT has done things most other TTs have not!

Cheers

M

Hi UM,

Some further progress, heat was applied to the motor without any affect, (no change in motor RPM),I think the motor is ok.

Applied heat to the ICs and a different story, motor speeded up, but swabbing with Metho reduced the motor (RPM. Sensitive to temperature change).

Set the potentiometer presets, so now the exact speeds are correct, in the centre of adjustment.

Also, the belt supplied is it an original "Luxman"? The platter/motor/pulley and drive belt are a designed system, not individual components.

Vince

Edited by Once Analog

Thanks Vince,

Not sure whether the belt is an original or not...

Is there any way to tell?

Cheers

M

Vince

I hate that Loc-Tite muck. More trouble than what it is worth IMO. I have it at my work and I only use it only sparingly and reluctantly!