Sign in to follow this  
unclemack

Is there a TT bearing expert in Vic? the Luxman beckons..

Nice work mate. Can't believe that may have been all it was.

Well done.  maybe you need to get some whale oil for the bearing? ;)

Andy

Nice work mate. Can't believe that may have been all it was.

Have I missed something here? I thought Vince was posting that he feels he can eliminate the bearing being the problem.

Tell me more.

Have I missed something here? I thought Vince was posting that he feels he can eliminate the bearing being the problem.

Tell me more.

Stay awake and learn, the fun is just starting!

Vince

But we can't see the fun... There's no pictures!!!!

Stay awake and learn, the fun is just starting!

Vince

Exactly Vince.

I still don't believe the bearing was causing the problem . but I'm all ears /eyes open . let's wait for your finding.

regards

Duc

So far it's great news but the Luxman has tricked others including me in the past...Just when you think you have it licked..BAM! it starts speeding up again. Time will tell. In the meantime, here's some pix courtesy of the man himself...

Cheers

M

post-104826-0-27335200-1379583294_thumb.

post-104826-0-14083500-1379583299_thumb.

post-104826-0-27645300-1379583303_thumb.

post-104826-0-69262100-1379583307_thumb.

I would disasemble the bearing completely , clean it and check for any falt specially the ball bearing if there is one , depend on how the bearing clearance design to choose the oil viscosity .

synthetic oil should be good .

Lovetube

Hi Duc,

Are you contradicting yourself?

Vince

Hi Duc,

Are you contradicting yourself?

Vince

hahahaha.

Vince. cleaning/ servicing the bearing for this table age is a good thing's and is a piece of mind but as I said earlier it will not be the bearing that cause the speeds to go yo yo . as you discover the bearing tolerance is super on this deck . dirty bearing won't cause the problem it has .

i have due with lot of Japanese deck of this age and speed issue always been electronics .

regards

Duc

[quote name="lovetube" post="954200"

i have due with lot of Japanese deck of this age and speed issue always been electronic a

Duc

Hi Duc,

Me too, but have learnt every road is a different story. This one seems to be on track!

Vince

Aah, Vince, Duc ... belt drive TTs like the LP12 don't have a speed problem! :P

Regards,

Andy

I thought the bearing was "not part of the problem". How can one be confident of success yet? Did I miss something?

Still reckon the motor is dodgy myself. :)

Regards,

Andy

can't be better than that Andy :).

Vince. I hope that is what it is and you have solved it .

regards

Duc

Regards,

Andy

But not belt drives like the Luxman?

Cheers

M

But not belt drives like the Luxman?

Cheers

M

Aah, your Luxman is a belt drive, too, UM?  I had assumed, being a well-thought Japanese TT, it must be DD. ;)

Regards,

Andy

Aah, your Luxman is a belt drive, too, UM?  I had assumed, being a well-thought Japanese TT, it must be DD. ;)

Regards,

Andy

Ha ha....

I thought the bearing was "not part of the problem". How can one be confident of success yet? Did I miss something? Still reckon the motor is dodgy myself. :)

Yes, I think you "missed something", Jake!   ;)

Stuart fixed the "motor problem".  The drive IC still ran away and the speed increased. He posted that he could get this effect to happen, simply by heating up the IC with a hair dryer.

That says to me that something was causing the drive IC to work overtime, so it got hot.  It makes sense to me that bearing friction could have caused this - the speed was slowing ... so the drive IC was working overtime to increase speed ... so it got hot.   Remove the friction ... and the drive IC doesn't have to get hot ... so the speed remains constant.

Why the friction - it would seem old, dirty oil?

Regards,

Andy

I thought the bearing was "not part of the problem". How can one be confident of success yet? Did I miss something? Still reckon the motor is dodgy myself. :)

Yes, I think you "missed something", Jake! ;)

Stuart fixed the "motor problem". The drive IC still ran away and the speed increased. He posted that he could get this effect to happen, simply by heating up the IC with a hair dryer.

That says to me that something was causing the drive IC to work overtime, so it got hot. It makes sense to me that bearing friction could have caused this - the speed was slowing ... so the drive IC was working overtime to increase speed ... so it got hot. Remove the friction ... and the drive IC doesn't have to get hot ... so the speed remains constant.

Why the friction - it would seem old, dirty oil?

Regards,

Andy

Yes, I read all that. But initial inspection of bearing showed no problem. But fault cannot be replicated now, so despite bearing being ok, everyone celebrating. Still think I missed something.

Yes, I read all that. But initial inspection of bearing showed no problem. But fault cannot be replicated now, so despite bearing being ok, everyone celebrating. Still think I missed something.

As you say, initial inspection of the mechanical wear on the bearing showed no problem.  But I could imagine that dirty oil would have a negative effect - hindering the smooth rotation and so causing the drive IC to have to work harder.

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andyr

As you say, initial inspection of the mechanical wear on the bearing showed no problem. But I could imagine that dirty oil would have a negative effect - hindering the smooth rotation and so causing the drive IC to have to work harder.

Regards,

Andy

Well, that must be some intolerant IC then.

Some thoughts on turntable speed control.

Turntables driven by a DC motor usually incorporate a closed loop feedback control system. The design parameters of the controller allow for a range of variables within the motor, pulley, belt, platter and bearing system. If any of these variables e.g. bearing friction, exceeds the expected parameters then the control system may not be able to maintain stability and may even enter a chaotic state. The extent and period of the random variations depends on the type and gain of the feedback. Bearing friction is not an obvious or intuitive cause of erratic speed but should always be considered in diagnosing problems. Removing all traces of old, contaminated lubricants, thoroughly cleaning bearing surfaces and replacing the lubricants with high quality products can work miracles with your turntable speed control and improve the sound as a bonus.

Best to all,

Vince

Edited by Once Analog

Great work so far Vince but I an sticking with my theory which means that you still will have an electronic issue to deal with ; )