Sign in to follow this  
unclemack

Is there a TT bearing expert in Vic? the Luxman beckons..

Hi guys, need to have the 350 here to evaluate. Whatever the problem; bearing/spindle, make a duplicate, as good as original!

Belt/lube, my guess not.

The IC very rare, but let's wait and see.

Vince

What's the "Once Analog Ovation", Vince?  (In your byeline / signature.)

Regards,

Andy

What's the "Once Analog Ovation", Vince? (In your byeline / signature.)

Regards,

Andy

Simply to fix a fellow enthusiasts turntable, no money evolved.

Vince

Hey!

No experts!

This is amateur hour!

Well since it is amateur hour, I am sticking with my Speed Changer on the control board theory. In particular, the transistor, Zener Diode and the two resistors that regulate the voltage to set the speed ; ) Edited by Telecine

Well since it is amateur hour, I am sticking with my Speed Changer on the control board theory. In particular, the transistor, Zener Diode and the two resistors that regulate the voltage to set the speed ; )

Good one.

Hi all,

Let's get it on the bench and go from there, no stabbing in the dark!

And, no promises, but have faith, OA hasen't been beaten yet!

Best to all,

Vince

True Vince...

I'm battered and bruised and bankrupt...but I still have faith. 

Cheers

M

True Vince...

Cheers

M

Let's get this great turntable up and running, next time in Melb. doing a demo you can buy me a drink, fair enough.

Vince

True Vince...

Cheers

M

"Battered and bruised and bankrupt"?  C'mon, UM ... I could understand that the Acoustic Signature Challenger bankrupted you ... but not the Luxman. ;)

Regards,

Andy

Ha ha Andy. You'd be shocked if you knew what this Luxman owes me. Vince. Drinks will definitely be on me. Cheers. M

Ha ha Andy. You'd be shocked if you knew what this Luxman owes me. Vince. Drinks will definitely be on me. Cheers. M

Enough to buy a new PD-171?  :(

luxman+PD171.jpg

Enough to buy a new PD-171? :(

luxman+PD171.jpg

Hi all,

Lovely looking turntable the PD171 and belt driven,(nice to see others getting it right)! Reasonably priced. Wondering what component price cutting there has been?

Looking at the pictures, has Luxman copied the OA bearing, looks very similar? No surprise if Luxman did, the new OA bearing is the best on the planet!

Regardless, I myself would prefer the Luxman PD350, why? Because the 350 was produced during the golden age of vinyl!

Vince

Edited by Once Analog

Enough to buy a new PD-171? :(

Hi all,

Lovely looking turntable the PD171 and belt driven,(nice to see others getting it right)! Reasonably priced. Wondering what component price cutting there has been?

Looking at the pictures, has Luxman copied the OA bearing, looks very similar? No surprise if Luxman did, the new OA bearing is the best on the planet!

Regardless, I myself would prefer the Luxman PD350, why? Because the 350 was produced during the golden age of vinyl!

Vince

Its tough reading about UM's problem with his PD350.

I had 9 trouble free years with mine before moving it on. Had absolutely nothing ever go wrong, and it was a stellar performer and beautiful table.

Nice gesture from you Vince in regards to looking at Macs tt, really hope you can get to the bottom of this particular tables woes.

Its tough reading about UM's problem with his PD350.

I had 9 trouble free years with mine before moving it on. Had absolutely nothing ever go wrong, and it was a stellar performer and beautiful table.

Nice gesture from you Vince in regards to looking at Macs tt, really hope you can get to the bottom of this particular tables woes.

Hi Soundfan,

Appreciate your post, in the interest of all please advise the reasons why you abandoned such a beautiful record player?

(I am confident UM's turntable will be fixed).

Members like you should post often, in doing so, will make SNA the world analogue bible!

Best,

Vince

Guest Muon

Hay UM, I can totally understand not giving up of the Luxman, It's a gorgeous table.

Hope all goes well...

Good on ya' Vince, hope you get her fixed for UM.

Well since it is amateur hour, I am sticking with my Speed Changer on the control board theory. In particular, the transistor, Zener Diode and the two resistors that regulate the voltage to set the speed ; )

At one stage I thought this was the problem too. I thought the speed change relay might have been faulty. Wasn't the case. The problem occurs on both 33 and 45 speed settings.

It could be the motor, although I'm pretty sure I've fixed it. When it came to me only two of the coils were working, and you had to initialise the platter by hand to get it spinning. I repaired the other coils and the motor now seems to have the correct torque, starts the platter spinning by itself easily.

Perhaps the bearing simply needs more oil? Anyone know what type of oil should be used? 

At one stage I thought this was the problem too. I thought the speed change relay might have been faulty. Wasn't the case. The problem occurs on both 33 and 45 speed settings.

It could be the motor, although I'm pretty sure I've fixed it. When it came to me only two of the coils were working, and you had to initialise the platter by hand to get it spinning. I repaired the other coils and the motor now seems to have the correct torque, starts the platter spinning by itself easily.

Perhaps the bearing simply needs more oil? Anyone know what type of oil should be used? 

I would disasemble the bearing completely , clean it and check for any falt specially the ball bearing if there is one , depend on how the bearing clearance design to choose the oil viscosity .

synthetic oil should be good .

Lovetube

Edited by lovetube

I would disasemble the bearing completely , clean it and check for any falt specially the ball bearing if there is one , depend on how the bearing clearance design to choose the oil viscosity .

synthetic oil should be good .

Lovetube

No need for anyone making stabs in the dark, problem needs to be evaluated on the bench! Hope it is mechanical, makes life easy.

Vince

No need for anyone making stabs in the dark, problem needs to be evaluated on the bench! Hope it is mechanical, makes life easy.

Vince

good Day Vince.

what Ii said is not a stab but it is a good advice if this turntable haven't got it bearing service . fixing it is another matter altogether as we all know .

regards

Duc

good Day Vince.

what Ii said is not a stab but it is a good advice if this turntable haven't got it bearing service . fixing it is another matter altogether as we all know .

regards

Duc

Hi Duc,

Nothing personal, but it's a bit like a car running hot; is it the radiator cap, is it the raidiator, the hoses, thermostat, or a blown head gasket. (It just goes on and on).

Michael's Luxman problem will be sorted and fixed, will advise.

Vince

Hi Duc,

Nothing personal, but it's a bit like a car running hot; is it the radiator cap, is it the raidiator, the hoses, thermostat, or a blown head gasket. (It just goes on and on).

Michael's Luxman problem will be sorted and fixed, will advise.

Vince

no problem at all Vince.

what you said are correct there is many thing's that can cause it.

regards

Duc

Vince

That's all well and good for the young folk........................but us old folk like to talk about it!!!

Well, It's all packed up and on the way to Vince... I am cautiously optimistic.

Cheers

M

post-104826-0-30835500-1379242897_thumb.

The bearing is not heating up. 

It's not heat transfer from the bearing, it's the actual drive chip that is generating the heat and it seems to hit a point there it gets into thermal run-away and then loses the plot.

All the control chips have been replaced including the motor drive IC. I've monitored all the power supply rails and can't fault them, I've replaced any of the caps that I suspected might be the cause and the speed control pots have been replaced.

I'm not sure that the issue is electronic. Without the platter on, the problem never occurs. Maybe the bearing has more friction than normal, causing excess load on the drive IC? Could be the motor also, but I have had that apart and it looks fine.

Of course, you could probably "fix" it by just attaching a big heatsink to the drive IC, although I don't consider that a real fix, as there is some fundamental problem there at needs to be found. 

I heated the drive IC up using a hot air gun and a 1" tube (so that only the IC was heated), and the platter spins like crazy instantly. So if we can find what is causing the drive IC to heat up, then we can fix it. Any ideas guys?

Sounds like a shorted turn in one of the motor windings. That could be a bit of a bugger to locate.