Is there a TT bearing expert in Vic? the Luxman beckons..

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have now been spinning records on my lazarus-like Luxman for about 6 hours...It has been rock solid, not a waver, not a hint of speed anomaly. And...It sounds wonderful! Unbelievable I know but thi

Hi Unclemack, Nice turntable the Luxman PD 350, too good to scrap. I'm based in Nowra NSW and can arrange free shipping from Southern Cross and return by coach, Premier Motor Service. Send it up an

Well, It's all packed up and on the way to Vince... I am cautiously optimistic.   Cheers   M

I have received Michael's Luxman PD350, hoping to get started on it tomorrow. Will keep you informed on the progress, bringing this beautiful turntable back to life again.

Vince

Good onya, Vince. :thumb:  We're all waiting to get your report.

Regards,

Andy

I have received Michael's Luxman PD350, hoping to get started on it tomorrow. Will keep you informed on the progress, bringing this beautiful turntable back to life again.

Vince

Good luck Vince

regards

Duc

Hi all,

"Is there a TT bearing expert in Vic? My Luxman beckons"!

Hmm, I don't know, heard of a guy that lives in Nowra, NSW, (think his name is Vince)?

Was told, he not only repairs turntable bearings, but also designs and builds his own, might be worth a try!

Luxman PD350 Bearing Evaluation:

The bearing housing appears to be made of Brass. It's a "through" sleeve, (meaning the same diameter measurement the full length). Contact area top and bottom measured .3940" exact!

The spindle contact area top and bottom measured .3933" exact! Therefore the clearance is .0007" in my view PERFECT!

There was an undercut area on the spindle which measured .381" of some 27mm to allow for extra oil.

No sign of sideway force wear, correct belt length.

The "Ball" 7mm/.2756" showed no sign of flat spots!

I feel safe in saying, the bearing is NOT the problem.

The evaluation continues.......

Vince

Any chance of some photos under the hood so to speak Vince?Linc

Certainly, was planning on pictures, have taken a few with my iPhone, but don't know how to upload to

SNA? Will sort it, expect some tomorrow.

Edited by Once Analog

Luxman PD350 Bearing Evaluation:

The bearing housing appears to be made of Brass. It's a "through" sleeve, (meaning the same diameter measurement the full length). Contact area top and bottom measured .3940" exact!

The spindle contact area top and bottom measured .3933" exact! Therefore the clearance is .0007" in my view PERFECT!

There was an undercut area on the spindle which measured .381" of some 27mm to allow for extra oil.

No sign of sideway force wear, correct belt length.

The "Ball" 7mm/.2756" showed no sign of flat spots!

I feel safe in saying, the bearing is NOT the problem.

The evaluation continues.......

Vince

Did it look like it had been full of oil? :confused:

Andy

Certainly, was planning on pictures, have taken a few with my iPhone, but don't know how to upload to

SNA? Will sort it, expect some tomorrow.

Hi Vince,

If you get onto SNA via Safari on the iPhone, where you see the "Post" icon there is a "More reply Option". If you tap onto the "More reply Option" there will be a dropped down menu " Attached Files". In the Attached Files there is a "Choose File". If tap onto "Choose Files" 3 options will come up; "take photo or video" "Choose Existing" and "cancel". These are self explanatory, so once you have done that you have to tap "Attached the file" ion in the SNA site, this will upload the pics onto the post. Once you have done that you then tap Post icon like you normally post. Hope this helps!

Hi Vince,

If you get onto SNA via Safari on the iPhone, where you see the "Post" icon there is a "More reply Option". If you tap onto the "More reply Option" there will be a dropped down menu " Attached Files". In the Attached Files there is a "Choose File". If tap onto "Choose Files" 3 options will come up; "take photo or video" "Choose Existing" and "cancel". These are self explanatory, so once you have done that you have to tap "Attached the file" ion in the SNA site, this will upload the pics onto the post. Once you have done that you then tap Post icon like you normally post. Hope this helps!

Thank you Pchan, I will give it a try later today.

Meanwhile, it's back in the shed, we need to get the Luxman up and running properly, UM is without his vinyl!

Vince

Luxman PD350 Bearing Avaluation

Soaked the bearing components overnight in Alcohol. This morning, cleaned and assembled the bearing and also the motor pulley/drive belt and outer side platter. Substituted an oil lube with a full synthetic Teflon "light" grease, that will not thicken or thin regardless of temperature!

The Luxman has been up and running since 9.45am this morning, both 33/45RPM speeds stable, no fluctuation!

Still suspicious, the Luxman with it's perfect bearing measurements, might be trying to trick me? No chance of that, when the Luxman leaves here, the cavity WILL be filled!

Will leave her running overnight.

Vince

Edited by Once Analog
  • Like 1

Nice work mate. Can't believe that may have been all it was.

Have I missed something here? I thought Vince was posting that he feels he can eliminate the bearing being the problem.

Tell me more.

Stay awake and learn, the fun is just starting!

Vince

Exactly Vince.

I still don't believe the bearing was causing the problem . but I'm all ears /eyes open . let's wait for your finding.

regards

Duc

So far it's great news but the Luxman has tricked others including me in the past...Just when you think you have it licked..BAM! it starts speeding up again. Time will tell. In the meantime, here's some pix courtesy of the man himself...

Cheers

M

post-104826-0-27335200-1379583294_thumb.

post-104826-0-14083500-1379583299_thumb.

post-104826-0-27645300-1379583303_thumb.

post-104826-0-69262100-1379583307_thumb.

• Like 1

I would disasemble the bearing completely , clean it and check for any falt specially the ball bearing if there is one , depend on how the bearing clearance design to choose the oil viscosity .

synthetic oil should be good .

Lovetube

Hi Duc,

Are you contradicting yourself?

Vince

Hi Duc,

Are you contradicting yourself?

Vince

hahahaha.

Vince. cleaning/ servicing the bearing for this table age is a good thing's and is a piece of mind but as I said earlier it will not be the bearing that cause the speeds to go yo yo . as you discover the bearing tolerance is super on this deck . dirty bearing won't cause the problem it has .

i have due with lot of Japanese deck of this age and speed issue always been electronics .

regards

Duc

I thought the bearing was "not part of the problem". How can one be confident of success yet? Did I miss something?

Still reckon the motor is dodgy myself. :)

Aah, Vince, Duc ... belt drive TTs like the LP12 don't have a speed problem! :P

Regards,

Andy

can't be better than that Andy :).

Vince. I hope that is what it is and you have solved it .

regards

Duc

But not belt drives like the Luxman?

Cheers

M

Aah, your Luxman is a belt drive, too, UM?  I had assumed, being a well-thought Japanese TT, it must be DD. ;)

Regards,

Andy

I thought the bearing was "not part of the problem". How can one be confident of success yet? Did I miss something? Still reckon the motor is dodgy myself. :)

Yes, I think you "missed something", Jake!   ;)

Stuart fixed the "motor problem".  The drive IC still ran away and the speed increased. He posted that he could get this effect to happen, simply by heating up the IC with a hair dryer.

That says to me that something was causing the drive IC to work overtime, so it got hot.  It makes sense to me that bearing friction could have caused this - the speed was slowing ... so the drive IC was working overtime to increase speed ... so it got hot.   Remove the friction ... and the drive IC doesn't have to get hot ... so the speed remains constant.

Why the friction - it would seem old, dirty oil?

Regards,

Andy