Is there a TT bearing expert in Vic? the Luxman beckons..

I have now been spinning records on my lazarus-like Luxman for about 6 hours...It has been rock solid, not a waver, not a hint of speed anomaly. And...It sounds wonderful!

Unbelievable I know but this TT is finally at home, up and running as it always should have been.

I owe a huge debt of thanks to Vince Hamilton for his expert work in getting the problem sorted once and for all!! Of course it goes without saying that Stuart Ralstons electronic work and Holmes-like deduction led me to believe that there were still stones left unturned. The generousity of Vince, Stuart and Harry as well as the valuable support both technical and spiritual from the SNA community at large has all been part of a rocky, surprising but ultimately satifsfying journey... 

Thanks again to all, gotta go, there's records to play!!

post-104826-0-30638600-1384668578_thumb.

post-104826-0-99064600-1384668584_thumb.

post-104826-0-45270100-1384668593_thumb.

post-104826-0-21627300-1384668639_thumb.

post-104826-0-31752300-1384668649_thumb.

post-104826-0-58903200-1384668656_thumb.

post-104826-0-39258300-1384668665_thumb.

post-104826-0-30416900-1384668718_thumb.

• Like 9

Great to see patience and perseverance has paid of...

Master Craftsmen like Vince Hamilton of Once Analog as well Stuart and Harry of SGR fame have all contributed their expertise and years of knowledge to bring this beautiful TT back to its best....

Credit to these gentlemen and especially to Vince for his input in bringing this baby back to life..

May you enjoy many years of enjoyment from your TT UM...

Edited by samman

More records being pllayed and more Joy being had.

I must mention someone else who really looked after me and went above and beyond with their support and service. James and Geoff at Tivoli HiFi, I tips me hat to ya! Thanks for everything guys. 

If you ever need a Soniq TV..you know who to come to... :lol:

Cheers

M

• Like 1

I know that no-one will want to read this and please believe that I certainly don't want to write it but... I am back at square one. After about 5 hours of gorgeous vinyl playback, I thought I noticed a speed change. I then played something very familier to me to check what was happening and sure enough, the TT was running a bit too fast. Not racing madly like before but enough to make my heart sink. I spoke to Vince and he was convinced that it was just a natural drift and that some careful speed adjustment would fix it. Today before I went to work, it played perfectly so I thought I'd let in run for the day. I just got home to find the platter spinning at insane speed with a whirring like ajet engibe coming fro the TT (the bearing maybe?).

The Luxman is a boat anchor. God does NOT want me to play vinyl...I am bereft, downcast and completely at a loss.

This is the end of my affair with the PD350. I'm done.

Sorry guys, thanks for your support and for all the great work by Vince, Stuart and harry...This thing is dead.

Cheers

M

I know that no-one will want to read this and please believe that I certainly don't want to write it but... I am back at square one. After about 5 hours of gorgeous vinyl playback, I thought I noticed a speed change. I then played something very familier to me to check what was happening and sure enough, the TT was running a bit too fast. Not racing madly like before but enough to make my heart sink. I spoke to Vince and he was convinced that it was just a natural drift and that some careful speed adjustment would fix it. Today before I went to work, it played perfectly so I thought I'd let in run for the day. I just got home to find the platter spinning at insane speed with a whirring like ajet engibe coming fro the TT (the bearing maybe?).

The Luxman is a boat anchor. God does NOT want me to play vinyl...I am bereft, downcast and completely at a loss.

Sorry guys, thanks for your support and for all the great work by Vince, Stuart and harry...This thing is dead.

Cheers

M

Very sorry to hear that M.

You know, I have never entirely given up on my theory:

Well since it is amateur hour, I am sticking with my Speed Changer on the control board theory. In particular, the transistor, Zener Diode and the two resistors that regulate the voltage to set the speed ; )

Cheers

M

That is sad, indeed, UM.

Given you no longer want it, as I'm sure Vince didn't charge you for anywhere near the time he spent on your Luxman, can I suggest the decent thing to do would be to gift it to Vince.  I'm sure he's perturbed by what you've experienced (given he left it on for several days and it ran fine) and would love to fiddle some more to fix it to his satisfaction.

Regards,

Andy

• Like 1

UM , so sorry to hear your news. I think one of the Origin live motors and psu would fix the problem perhaps.

Yeah it might however I think that I've turned off this particular road now. Time to consider other options.

Andy, the TT is going back to Vince and the result of that is up in the air now... 

M

So the Luxman has arrived in Sydney for it's final surgery, and I do mean surgey!

Vince is going to replace the motor, power supply and all speed controls, essentially all the Luxman electronics will be bypassed. All that will be left is the plinth, platter, bearing. This is radical and not something I wanted to do but it will be a fix. There is a gremlin in the electronics that has eluded the best in the business and so these electronice just have to go!

I should have this back in two weeks and I am confident that all the past issues will have been resolved...

Reasonably confident...

Hopeful anyway.. :D

Cheers

M

• Like 3