New avr to act as pre amp

Hi guys

I am going to be buying an avr to use the pre outs and connect some yet to be purchased power amps. The main issue at the moment is I don't want to spend a large amount of money only to replace in a few years due to it not doing true 4k using hdmi 2 which has just been announced. If hdmi 2 wasn't an issue I would buy the denon 4520 straight away.

So with that being said here are my options

1. Yamaha 1073 $870

2. Onkyo 818 $1100

3. Denon x4000 $1500

The Yamaha would suit me well except it doesn't do audessey xt32 and only has a 1 year warranty.

ONKYO is cheap for an avr with xt32 and the Denon has lots of features and appears to represent good value.

Any assistance would be great appreciated.

thanks for the reply ozcall I had considered that as an option but I need more hdmi connections. I pretty much want something with the features of an avr but I dont want to get one that doesnt sound good combined eith a power amp. I forgot to mention I have paradigm studio 100 and cc690 speakers

Edited by mauler

If you don't mind second hand, I've noticed a number of Marantz 6003 HT amps on ebay. I have one (not for sale) and use it for my centre channel and rear speakers, using the pre-outs for my front speakers, as I believe you want to do. Marantz, although similar to Denon, is I think a little more dynamic for movies. I've had mine for three years with no problems and had the previous model for ten years.

thanks for the reply ozcall I had considered that as an option but I need more hdmi connections. I pretty much want something with the features of an avr but I dont want to get one that doesnt sound good combined eith a power amp. I forgot to mention I have paradigm studio 100 and cc690 speakers

how many hdmi inputs/outputs you chasing. might help those wanting to help :)

the studio 100 and cc690 are an awesome combination, that will be quite a front stage, I hope your doing them justice amp wise :)

if your worried about being outdated or resale. just buy second hand or something on demo/run out. means you wont loose a heap in turning it over down the track. also if can just wait a couple of weeks cedia will have more news re hdmi 2.0 and possibly a glimse of what the various makers have coming our way :)

how many hdmi inputs/outputs you chasing. might help those wanting to help :)

the studio 100 and cc690 are an awesome combination, that will be quite a front stage, I hope your doing them justice amp wise :)

if your worried about being outdated or resale. just buy second hand or something on demo/run out. means you wont loose a heap in turning it over down the track. also if can just wait a couple of weeks cedia will have more news re hdmi 2.0 and possibly a glimse of what the various makers have coming our way :)

Yeah the sound stage was awesome when in the shop but not so much on my little amp. I do not have a power amp yet but looking at second hand rotel/nad and possibly a new emotiva xpa2 or 3. Pretty much all features i want from the above 3 amps have the features i want its really down to the room calibration. From what i have been reading it is well worth the money.

Input wise i am using 5 hdmi at the moment but would like at least another 1 

Edited by mauler

Yeah the sound stage was awesome when in the shop but not so much on my little amp. I do not have a power amp yet but looking at second hand rotel/nad and possibly a new emotiva xpa2 or 3. Pretty much all features i want from the above 3 amps have the features i want its really down to the room calibration. From what i have been reading it is well worth the money.

Input wise i am using 5 hdmi at the moment but would like at least another 1 

the rotels are a very good match for paradigm as is the elektra theatre/theatron hd, a lot of people run that combination. can pick either up cheaply. in the rotels even an older 1080 for the mains or 1075 as multichannel amp will do the studios pretty well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROTEL-RMB-1075-/271272029382?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item3f2912acc6&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROTEL-1552-POWER-AMPLIFIER-/161091717865?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2581d08ae9&_uhb=1

Edited by :) al
  • Like 1

the rotels are a very good match for paradigm as is the elektra theatre/theatron hd, a lot of people run that combination. can pick either up cheaply. in the rotels even an older 1080 for the mains or 1075 as multichannel amp will do the studios pretty well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROTEL-RMB-1075-/271272029382?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item3f2912acc6&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROTEL-1552-POWER-AMPLIFIER-/161091717865?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2581d08ae9&_uhb=1

That 1075 looks interesting is that a fair price? I am assuming this will sound better then the emotiva's?

I have the 818. It's great. Xt32 is superb...

The 818 is fantastic value @$1100.  U get XT32, ISF presets, plus great set of preouts.  I'm using mine as a preamp.  As Al said, if u can fetch a good 5 channel Rotel or Electra, u'll be all set.  Even on its own, its not shabby at all in 5.1..  I finally got my a** around to updating its firmware to the latest version, very simple and it took 30mins via USB.

Edited by katattack74

Cheers for your help guys ended up buying a denon x4000 off a mate that wanted to buy a 4520. So far it sounds a fair bit better and its a fantastic receiver. Now just to find a good quality value for money power amplifier. 

Hi ozcall.

That emotiva thing is nice.

Im considering of buying a dac.(dacmagic)

But that doesn't process sounds.

This one does. Is it fair to say this could replace a stand alone dac?

The way i see it.

Its a pre amp/processor/dac All in one?

Or am i seeing it wrong?

Ps.. I'm new to most of this stuff....

Hi ozcall.

That emotiva thing is nice.

Im considering of buying a dac.(dacmagic)

But that doesn't process sounds.

This one does. Is it fair to say this could replace a stand alone dac?

The way i see it.

Its a pre amp/processor/dac All in one?

Or am i seeing it wrong?

Ps.. I'm new to most of this stuff....

I take it you are looking at a hometheater system rather than just Stereo?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I take it you are looking at a hometheater system rather than just Stereo?

no, that's the thing, im not.

Sometimes I just confuse myself.. :)

I'm happy with stereo.

But was just looking at improving sound quality and thought sound prossesing could help with that..

I'm just trying to get the best, but my knowledge is stil very limited, so am learning a lot along the way.

I recently bought a dacmagic-100,