Sign in to follow this  
chrischris

5 Channel Power Amp

the marantz are really not much more than power section out of an avr. sorry to say ! the 7055 for instance if you check its specs you'll notice has a max consumption of a measly 440 W ! gives you some indication of its puny power reserves. even the marantz 7005 avr is gutsier power wise with a max consumption of 700w ! 

in power amps plenty of better ones around, in under 2k theres this great bargain here for $1200. clean sounding refined amp with plenty as power reserve.

the guy is a retailer am sure he could ship out to you 

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=138715

if want a later elektra theatre 7/theatron they usually show up under $2k. otherwise check out the ones from nad, rotel etc all a lot gutsier than the marantz and better value :)

Edited by :) al

the marantz are really not much more than power section out of an avr. sorry to say !

LOL... You must hate me... all I seem to do is follow you around and yell abuse  (I'm not doing to purely on purpose, I promise)

All I can say is that I took the top off my MM8803, and compared to the insides of a upper-mid Denon and Marantz AVR.... and I cannot agree with your observation.

That being said, the Marantz multichannel amp is not earth shattering subjectively... and it's measurements are (not unsurprisingly) also B- territory.

I don't know about that particular Marantz power amp but the matching power amp for my 8801 doesn't seem too badly constructed. It's IMHO comparable to most Emotiva stuff but doesn't seem to have as large capacitor banks that Emotiva uses to supply short term bursts of power in their highest models.

That said the Marantz is unlikely to be a good enough match for the Lenehans.

I think Mike also sells an Arion 250W power amp that I've heard driving the ML2 Limiteds and are just over 2k. I think that's not a bad option.

For a little less, I think the Wyred4Sound mAmp with the third gen ICE modules are also not a bad way to go. 899 for a monoblock.

I don't know about that particular Marantz power amp but the matching power amp for my 8801 doesn't seem too badly constructed.

That's the one I have.

doesn't seem to have as large capacitor banks that Emotiva uses to supply short term bursts of power in their highest models.

It's hard to generalise about that.

Check out Ebay Ive seen a few 200w x5 ( Rotel) every now and then.

rotel 1075 5ch amp performs very well for its price. 

Emotiva have just released 'Gen 2' of their XPA-5. It might just squeeze in under $2000 after factoring in shipping for a 70 lb unit, in an 82 lb pack.

Emotiva have just released 'Gen 2' of their XPA-5. It might just squeeze in under $2000 after factoring in shipping for a 70 lb unit, in an 82 lb pack.

shipping to melbourne is about $300

That's not bad at all. Nice to know. 

If you Serious go for these  Rotel RMB-1585  200W all 5 channel / Heavy Weight Just been Released by Rotel

notice cleff hifi has a demo elektra hd at $2,999 whcih is an absolute bargain, these have a retail of $4.5k

http://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=70

have owned elektra multichannel amps as centre piece of my av system for last 8 years, and really an awesome product, beautifully built locally using the best of components. can highly recommend :)

How About these amp? Good Price on  Second Hand if you can find one RRP$ is big bucks

Interesting thing you might try is much better amplification for your main speakers and something like the Rotel 5 channel amps for surround, centre and subwoofer.

Music will definitely benefit from the better amplification in stereo while the surround content is mostly ambient that need not be such high quality. Try to match the gain of the amps so that there is not too much channel adjustment required.

I use a stack of (bi-amped) Belcanto REF series for the main speakers and a Rotel 100W per 5 channel amp to power surround, centre and two passive subwoofers. It works well for me. The Marantz AV 7005 and Audessy setup gets the balance quite close and a small amount of tweaking gets a lovely stable soundstage in stereo, intrigiung 5.2 sound for the few recordings that use surround for proper instrument positioning (cf footsteps running around the room on the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon) and then a thunderous cacophony for the movies that demand it.

What are the rotel amps like?  Its digital amplification isn't it?  How would it compare to the parasound a31 3 x 250w amplifier?  Or the Anthem mCA30 3x 235w amps?  I'm after great two  Chanell stereo and also to run surround sound via another power amp such as the anthem pva7 7x 125w amp.  Or simply run everything else off a integra dtr60.5 receiver and get my self a quality three channel front amp. I'm after equal power at the front.  Help .

I'd personally go the elektra theatre 7 channel amp. localy made and there fore a lot cheaper than an imported one. using top quality components and really well built can highly recommend :)

Another biased opinion for the Elektra. I owned the Elektra Reference and Theatron. The only reason I sold them was to replace them with the latest Elektra Reference HD and Theatre HD2

JDH

I may have an Elektra Theatre7 available very soon.