Using Titebond II (wood glue) for cleaning

I figure many of you have seen it before but I'd like to share my first experience with using glue as a cleaner for records... I figured that if I was going to clean a lot of records, I'm going to need a lot of glue... So I ordered a 3.85L container of the stuff!

Tn5gyJE.jpg

Next comes the latest and greatest in glue applying and spreading technology.

4CZye2c.jpg

The first test subject:

NqF6vMj.jpg

First two:

UahILcZ.jpg

At this point I would like to mention the first rule of glue: Use less than you think you need. I started at 6PM, and the first two are still not dry. I have a third one going using much less glue and spread out evenly to the very edge. Hopefully they will all be finished by morning.

Results to follow...

• Like 1

My first (and only) attempt, I lifted the glue before it had fully dried on one small section.  The only way to lift any such failures is to do the whole thing again.  I found the whole process impossibly time-consuming.

Cheers

Warren

TBH I am quite skeptical about using this method to clean records but I may try it on an old LP one day.  But if it did work, wouldn't a thinner layer of PVA brushed on be adequate though?  Using that quantity of glue at this time time of year it take a week to treat one LP?  ;)

Having to re-do my first two in some spots as I used too much glue and wouldn't dry in a reasonable time. For the record (pun not intended) they are 90125 and Face to Face (the angels)

Also got a third going - judas priest screaming for vengeance.

The JP one in particular sounds nasty but doesn't appear to have any stylus damage. The Angels one just needs some clarity back with less crackle.

As of now I have noticed no static build up (haven't felt any while handling during/after the peel)

Pics will follow later...

Dude - glueing is so last year!

;)

I've been doing some since last summer, and it works great. You don't need Titebond II of course - plain old wood glue from Selleys at Bunnings is just fine.

Tip: use a cheapo electric fan (I've got a huge one on a pedestal which cost me all of $17 from K-Mart) about 30 cm away from the discs - will speed your drying time considerably.

Apologies for that - in a rush....

Should take around 6-8 hours during winter.

Faster in summer.

Spread it thinner for quicker results - you'll get better as you go. The first 5-6 are just learners.

It should come off in one complete strip - if not, there's a much greater probability of residue.

A simple anti-stat cloth wipe afterwards will take care of any static issue - but it's never been a biggie for me.

I'll have to re-do a section on 90125 as it's skipping over some glue residue on track 2.

Results on track 1 are super impressive. It sounds almost exactly like the CD version. Clarity is superb and not an audible crackle!

Very keen to check out the other ones still drying

• Like 2

So far I have completed The Angels - Face to Face (both sides) - sounds excellent for a piece of plastic from 1978 :)

General clarity has improved and the high end is lacking in distortion. There's a noticeable reduction in pops and clicks. No hiss to be found.

• Like 1

Update! I've now glued about half of my collection. While some results are impressive than others, if you've got a record that sounds absolutely horse, and isn't worn or damaged, this method will clean it right up... but as always there's some pops or clicks that you can't get out. General turntable noise can always be improved as well.

I'm trying to upload some samples but the forum's attaching feature isn't working properly for me, so I will have to host them externally.

• 6 months later...

Been reading all over the web about wood glue cleaning. I've gone from initial disbelief to eager to try on some of my "good looking, but annoyingly noisy" second hand vinyl that hasnt responded to my normal manual wet clean procedure.

Too much opinion to ignore recommends Titebond II. So I have sourced the 3.7l bottle online from Masters for $20 plus $9 delivery. Which is great value for any PVA glue.

In my eagerness, I decided to test a sacrificial 7" with the PVA glue products I had in the shed already. For the record, here are the results:

Selleys Aquadhere Interior. Well, it certainly adheres! Maybe I spread it too thin, but it was impossible to remove. Fail.

Bondcrete. Well it's PVA and can glue things, plus I've observed the way it sets and peels from previous applications. Sets clear and peels off very cleanly, with just enough gripping to make you think it's taking gunk with it. So I applied it over the Aquadhere to see if it would remove that. It did, but with some effort and a few breaks. So I think the Aquadhere was just plain super adhesive. Then I took the Bondcrete plunge on a very noisy LP that hadnt really improved with washing. Let it dry overnight, removed it in a single piece that is clear and has a little stretch in it. After a close visual inspection, I played it. Great result, estimate 75% of surface noise is gone. Dead silent in a couple of spoken word sections. I would definitley continue with this if the Titebond II wasn't on its way.

Noticed while getting those links from Bunnings, that both products I used above are actually more $/litre that the Titebond II I sourced.

• Like 1

HAha!   Aquadhere had the same results for me. Just too strong.

I ended up using Parfix's PVA Wood Glue, which works much much better.

A few photos:

Selleys Aquahere.... AVOID!

Photo%2024-12-12%2011%2055%2049%20AM.jpg

Goes on very thick...

Photo%2024-12-12%2012%2008%2004%20PM.jpg

This is the one I prefer... Parfix PVA.

Photo%2024-12-12%205%2002%2024%20PM.jpg

goes on thinner, and dries quicker...

Photo%2024-12-12%205%2004%2028%20PM.jpg

Photo%2024-12-12%205%2011%2024%20PM.jpg

• Like 1

Since you were so kind to post, I'll share my post-experiment thoughts.

I now do the titebond ii treatment to every record I acquire, new or used - simply put, it's a worthwhile improvement

I find it's best to do a thin layer as possible to minimise drying time, but with thick inner/out edges for easy peeling (doing after the main drying process otherwise it just seeps away from the edge)

A fan dramatically reduces the drying time, and dry weather helps as well.

Having a spare turntable to spin the record while applying the glue is a godsend! Preferably an older/unused one. The one I use isn't slowed down, I run it at 33.3 rpm.

Don't stack records you've done the treatment on and the glue dried. It will stuck together and be a royal pain in the arse to seperate if it's not 100g+ vinyl

Edited by Linkin

Using revirginizer for a while now, takes a few tries to get the thickness right and patience enough to let it dry , but it works very well.

Have you used a full bottle yet?If so, how many LP's did it do?I really want to use some on some expensive vinyl.I have no doubt that it works, and will not hurt your LP's

.I just wish is it was like AU$30.Then you could do a hundred or so LP's at a reasonable price.But $50 a bottle for only 16 LP's is a bit rich.It would cost most people like over AU$300 for hundred LP's & if you have two hundred LP's which is quite common,you might as well buy a record cleaning machine!because it would cost you over AU$600!

The thinner you spread the glue, the more records you can do. There's videos on youtube of people in the US getting it to under $1 per record by using really thin layers that dry in an hour or so.

My record collection is small (30-50 LP's at most) so it was worth it for me. If you have hundreds or thousands of records then it's not cost or time effective.

Once you clean it with the glue though, so long as you keep it clean, you won't need to do it again for a very long time.

• Like 1