Amplifier to Drive Usher S520s

Check out the Audio GD amp that is being discussed at the moment - it's in price range I believe. 90W per channel

C

$550 base price, but an extra $50 for the metal remote, and by the time you ship it and pay the paypal fees etc (with out sliding $AUD) it's close to $800 landed I believe.

• Like 1

Have you listened to the Dusan?

Not yet. I received it this morning (fast postage...) and am almost at the point of having a chance to terminate the speaker cables and plug it all together.

yes.. where did you get it from?

\

I have heard it before, it is a lovely, detailed, soft sounding amp, and well built, let us know?

I got it from a place called Audio Junction. I ended up buying from their eBay store because it offered free postage. Perfect service so far. Very fast postage and delivery.

Glad to hear your comments on the T6 :) Looking forward to it - shall let you know how it goes.

Hi

Don't forget the Ushers will take about 80+ hours to loosen up ....

JJ

Thanks. I bought them secondhand (only a few months old) and the seller said they'd loosened up considerably since purchase - in fact, they'd just begun to sound sweet, apparently.

Have you received/used your T6 yet?

Thanks. I bought them secondhand (only a few months old) and the seller said they'd loosened up considerably since purchase - in fact, they'd just begun to sound sweet, apparently.

Have you received/used your T6 yet?

Hi

No, I'm away until next week, so won't get any deliveries until I return ....

JJ

• Like 1

Well I've been listening for a few days now (and I've also got a problem to report), so I'll give my impressions.

Firstly, I'll say this is my first 'decent' speaker/amp setup. Before this, I had a pair of Behringer MS40s - that's the best I've experienced extensively in my own setup and so it's what I'll be comparing against for my listening experience so far. Also, I'm fairly new to proper critical listening and hi-fi in general, plus my ears are at the younger end of the spectrum, so factor that in... And finally, my listening station is not ideal. At all. Speakers are close together and not far enough away from wall and I'm doing very near-field listening - not much I can do about this at the moment - so this obviously diminishes the speakers' true potential too.

My first impressions were:

Clarity - the HF was very sharp (not in an unpleasant way) - very nice 'snaps' on snares etc. - and the LF was very well defined.

Soundstage - the two speakers actually blended together nicely and created a proper stage (not like my MS40s, which just sounded like separate sound coming from each)

Bass - At first the bass was a bit disappointing. The S520s are definitely able to produce a lower range than the MS40s and the bass is better quality - which is great - but the proportion of bass, amongst everything else, sounded lacking. However, this problem has somehow since been rectified - not sure if it's to do with some system 'burn in', or just me adjusting to the sound and possible over-emphasis/colouration from the MS40s - the bass is sounding beautiful now.

All up, I'm very, very pleased with the setup. My only disappointment now is with the limitations with my listening station (not able to use too high a volume because of room-mates/neighbours, and can't position the speakers very well). I'd like to experiment with some cement pavers, in addition to my Auralex isolation pads, to reduce bass transmission.

Now, my problem: this isn't actually strictly to do with the T6 or Ushers... My headphone amp (Schiit Magni) has apparently died (stopped powering on). I've been running it in the manner suggested in this thread. i.e. Recording Out from T6 into Schiit Magni (RCA), then 6.35mm headphones plugged in. Last night I was watching something using headphones and the sound suddenly cut and I noticed power to the Magni had been lost. So now it no longer turns on.

Is there any chance that using the T6 in conjunction with the Magni has caused this malfunction? As Newman stated, the Rec Out (or Tape Out) does not alter the signal - so it shouldn't make a difference eh? Judging by the levels I was using (i.e. same as without the T6 involved), this all seems true. So I'm presuming something has simply malfunctioned within the unit, as opposed to me operating it incorrectly... I only bought it about 3 months ago - so it'll still be under warranty.

Thanks. Yeah, I think it was a unit malfunction. I didn't think it had anything to do with tape out but it was a strange coincidence that not long after I plugged it into the integrated amp, it blew. The store I purchased it from has now replaced the unit for me. No idea what the cause is, however.

I also wonder about the powerboard I had it plugged into and whether overloading it could have caused one of the units to blow as a result?

And if a surge did occur (pardon my electronics noobiness), wouldn't the other devices probably be affected too?

Indeed, I'm becoming increasingly convinced the DAC was simply at fault - despite it being the first Magni which has died and been returned to the store I bought from. Most likely, it wasn't the line out from the T6; it wasn't the powerboard; the last possibility (I think) is the circuitry in our house. My powerboard has a 'Fault' indicator, which I'm pretty sure relates to circuit (rather than the powerboard itself), and that's been lit ever since I plugged it in. Our house is quite old and possibly with dodgy wiring, so I'm planning to pick up one of these to test things out.

I've had S520s for nearly six months and they keep on surprising me. They punch way above their weight and I've noticed that the bass comes to life when they are played at a higher volume.

Edited by dolphy

Noob Q: Does cranking them for a while help to loosen them up, such that they perform better at lower levels?

If they are new or 'never cranked', it might lower the Fs a bit, which can have a small effect on bass performance, which would exist at all levels.

• Like 1