JCR33's system (previously "Hi there! I am new too")

I said before. I am just a crazy old fool would do anything for hifi and music.

Apart from spending money on hifi, CD/LPs, moving houses for better room for hifi, another crazy thing I do is travelling to meet other audionuts around the world.

SNIP

I hope you are not sick of seeing my photos, as I have many interesting ones to show you guys. One of them is the President of aca.gr, Christo's home, I went there 2 years ago... :-)

Never.Keep the photos and first hand accounts coming. May be a separate thread of your worldwide audiophile journeys if there's plenty more.

Thanks for the little spill on your trip to Mike's and photos of Christo's TT.

Drool. Love that aca documentary for their passions and suffering wifes expressions.

Hi foryou,

I guess you are a regular at R33!

For those who are not familiar with Review33.com, it is a popular audio and video site in Hong Kong. Very active amongst Chinese and sometimes non Chinese communities around the globe.

Review33 started about 5-6 years ago, or longer. I started participating there about 5 years ago. For almost 4 years, I ran a thread called "JC's Letterbox on any ultra high end Hifi and cheap and cheerful LoFi issues"

The key activity there was weekly Saturday YUMCHA gathering with open invitation to all audiophiles who can freely join by putting their names on the web. This has been ongoing since we first started. On average, we get about 8-10 people signing up. Lowest we ever got was 4 and the highest was over 40 people.

Usually, after the feast, we have home visits. Some regular systems are always available and others by special arrangement and appointment. These kinds of activities can last until midnight and continue on through the week.

DSC_5202.jpg

As if weekly gatherings are not enough, we try to find excuses for more gatherings to celebrate someone's birthdays, farewell, house warming, wedding... Most of us tend to see each others more often than we see our parents...:)

Audiophiles will get on their knees for smallest tweaks. :rolleyes:

FM1.jpg

Some with curious mind...:)

DSC03588.jpg

Every year, we also celebrate our anniversary on the 2nd Sat of June. We all have to bring something as a gift for lucky draw and we see some rare LP/CDs and exotic tubes and etc being won by our buddies.

DSC_3597.jpg

The guy just won a pair of 300B...

DSC_3617.jpg

More to come... stay tuned;)

Jack, great photos :rolleyes: The guy with his head in the Avantgarde horn ... I would be tempted to put on some headbanger music and frighten the bejeesus out of him!

Looks like you had a great time in HK. I am thinking that some of the posts here should be split off and put in "The Showcase" ... that way it will contribute to everyone's post count. What say you?

Hi Keith,

Good idea! I need to think of a name>

BTW, I read through the link on Mondi's new room but that thread stopped around June 07 and no further discussion.

Has anyone actually seen the end result or Mondi does not want to... for some reasons???

Hi Mondi,

if you are reading this, could you please share some of your experience and photos? Do you live in NSW?

Jack, great photos :) The guy with his head in the Avantgarde horn ... I would be tempted to put on some headbanger music and frighten the bejeesus out of him!

Oh Keith,

It won't work, as he is so deaf and that's why he has to listen so close to the horn...

Actually, he is also a Doc in Med, very well known guru in audio arena around the world. His knowledge in music is also mind boggling.

I will invite some of my friends from Hong Kong to read and write here, watch out, invasion is coming....:rolleyes:

Hi Foryou,

You are from HK?

I saw somewhere that you are looking at buying 47 Lab Gain card? New or used?

May be able to help. Please contact me at jack.jbh@gmail.com

I am using it to drive my Trio occasionally and the little amp is quite amazing.

These pics were taken 3 years ago when I still had the old Sony phone...:D

Mar05607.jpg

Mar05601.jpg

Just watched this doco. Wonderful stuff. there was some real eloquence in the way the passion for the music was described... this should be required watching for everyone who doesn't understand our "thing"

Thanks Keith

M

Isn't Christo the guy in the
documentary who could listen to music in an earthquake? :D

Hi JCR33

Nice to meet. I really enjoyed your photos of your home and system. I would also reiterate Waylanders suggestion earlier of getting in touch with wavetrain in Sydney as he is the best I know for audio room design. (David Moseley from Wavetrain Accoustics ) I am sure he could assist you well

I often get to HK on business - my boss resides there as does my brother for 25+ years. My ideal vacations recently have been spent in HK listening to the myriad of hi-end HK showroom systems with my favourite cds, often with my brother. I would dearly love to experience yours, so will make sure I let you know when I'm in Sydney next if I may make an appointment?

I also share your dilemna about dedicated vs family friendly listening rooms. I have found a happy compromise so far, but later when I shift homes the answer may well be different.

Keep the great stories flowing, please

Hi Norpus,

Good to know you too.

I will contact Wavetrain when I am ready to start the project on my room. After struggling to have my kitchen done, I need a break before thinking of starting another project. :)

For those who live in Hong Kong are not aware that they are so blessed with hifi showrooms. Everything is there so close and so many. I am sure many visitors like you enjoy the stay.

Please let me know when you are in town and we can arrange to meet.

I am glad that you like the photos, just a bit unsure if I am posting a bit too many! :confused:

BTW, what type of music do you listen to and are you a tube guy?

I notice that you just bought a pair of 3/5a, for yourself?

Hi JCR33

yes, form HK too ,

this 47labs amp photo i saw few years ago in R33 (may be 3 years ago).

haha , and because of u photo i get interested this little amp.

the new 47labs is too costly for me ,around 2 months ago have one for sale in Ebay au and just around $900 or 1k but no one interested it ...........

but that time i was still in HK for vacation

Hi Norpus,

Good to know you too.

I will contact Wavetrain when I am ready to start the project on my room. After struggling to have my kitchen done, I need a break before thinking of starting another project. :)

For those who live in Hong Kong are not aware that they are so blessed with hifi showrooms. Everything is there so close and so many. I am sure many visitors like you enjoy the stay.

Please let me know when you are in town and we can arrange to meet.

I am glad that you like the photos, just a bit unsure if I am posting a bit too many! :confused:

BTW, what type of music do you listen to and are you a tube guy?

I notice that you just bought a pair of 3/5a, for yourself?

Thanks for the reply, will let you know when next in Sydney with some free time

I am not a tube guy currently as I prefer active speakers typically. My music genre listening is growing all the time. Hopefully the LS3/5a for my pending new office sonos system may help even more, hope so

I am glad that you like the photos, just a bit unsure if I am posting a bit too many! :)

Hi Jack,

Never too many photos my friend! I've enjoyed reading about your hifi journey, and especially appreciated seeing your friends at R33 enjoying their various get togethers. Great to see a bunch of guys enjoying the hobby we all love.

That photo with the guy sticking his head in the Avantgarde's horn is a classic!

Best Wishes,

Dave.

Ok, you guys twisted my arm and I am going to post more pictures...

This is taken with my pocket camera, a Sony Cyber Shot about 3 years ago. I was testing a Zanden DAC with a polished mirror finish case. Didn't want to be seen on the photo, took some angles to capture this shot...

DSC00263.jpg

Wow, gorgeous pictures Jack. Thanks for sharing.

I have noticed that a many people in HK own super-expensive speakers, yet somewhere in the room there is always a little Rogers LS3/5A somewhere. I have long wondered why.

Just managed to get through SNA a few days ago. Keith WONG here got me into this link after he contacted me through aca.gr, the Greek audiophile website.

I have been a member there since year 2000. You may find my details at the following link:

http://aca.gr/pop_cheung.htm

About 6 months ago, I moved back to Sydney. Life is good here except I miss my audio buddies back in Hong Kong. I hope to slowly build up my audio network here.

:D

Gooday Jack

I am a fan of the Athens site and have been impressed by the many enthusiasts there.

Welcome to the forum!

We don't mind how modest you gear is, so long as you try to upgrade!!!!

Wow, gorgeous pictures Jack. Thanks for sharing.

I have noticed that a many people in HK own super-expensive speakers, yet somewhere in the room there is always a little Rogers LS3/5A somewhere. I have long wondered why.

Hi Keith,

3/5a is such a classic taking up so little space. It is an icon of taste and class reflecting you are mature and skilled in hifi and music.

Just like our first copy of Playboy, worth keeping just for old times' sake.

06playboy.xlarge1.jpg

Just managed to get through SNA a few days ago. Keith WONG here got me into this link after he contacted me through aca.gr, the Greek audiophile website.

I have been a member there since year 2000. You may find my details at the following link:

http://aca.gr/pop_cheung.htm

About 6 months ago, I moved back to Sydney. Life is good here except I miss my audio buddies back in Hong Kong. I hope to slowly build up my audio network here.

:o

Hi Jack,

You're not alone! I moved back to Melbourne 2 years ago, life is more layback (mainly for my family but work-wise not exactly apply on me) and life quality is much better (fresh air, more green,space.....something basic and it's the key for us to settle down again here).

Good to know you here, I will love to visit you in Sydney sometime during the weekend given you're available.:D

Cheers, FG