Sign in to follow this  
keitha

If anyone want to hear what $18,500 gets you head off to A2A

Was at Addicted to Audio yesterday to have a look at what they had in speakers and amps but had to have a listen to their ultimate headphone setup, Abyss Headphones $6699, Auralic Vega $4,299 and a Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold SS Headphone Amp $7, 589 with a couple of expensive cables and such to hook it all up. 

Sounds amazing, very good detail and transparency, the Auralic makes it sound analogue and I was listening to redbook flac files. But with all that money there was one letdown that all headphone amps systems have, the sound-stage, but the system was still impressive. Not at $18,500 though.

After this I went and listened to what I wanted to hear in the first place, a couple of floorstander speakers. But that's a different thread lol

The Dac is very nice, best bit of the kit personally, if I had that type of money to drop on a Dac it would be a big contender, not that I've heard heaps of dacs but that is far the best I have heard

Edited by keitha

Keitha,

After listening to that system, how did everything else sounded afterwards?

The reason I asked is because I auditioned a Stax 407 and a 007 II on a Stax 323, Stax 006t driver, I then got an orientation on the different setups they had and everything didn't sound right after. I got shown to some very expensive gear that included Martin Login Electrstatic and B&W 802D $30k. Only the B&W 802D was the better of the 2, but it just didn't sound right, however I know they can be very very good. I just couldn't pass judgement on them that day. My ears needed to chill out, listening to high end cans really raises the bar on your expectation. Believe me, the difference between the 407 and the 007 is huge and I'm not sure which one to choose. My choice was to aim for the 009, but at that cost, I'm not going to dive in and purchase without an audition.

Keitha, After listening to that system, how did everything else sounded afterwards? The reason I asked is because I auditioned a Stax 407 and a 007 II on a Stax 323, Stax 006t driver, I then got an orientation on the different setups they had and everything didn't sound right after. I got shown to some very expensive gear that included Martin Login Electrstatic and B&W 802D $30k. Only the B&W 802D was the better of the 2, but it just didn't sound right, however I know they can be very very good. I just couldn't pass judgement on them that day. My ears needed to chill out, listening to high end cans really raises the bar on your expectation. Believe me, the difference between the 407 and the 007 is huge and I'm not sure which one to choose. My choice was to aim for the 009, but at that cost, I'm not going to dive in and purchase without an audition.

Headphones are good, they got me into the audio hobby.

They will never give you the enjoyment of the speakers, maybe vise-versa.

Anything over $1000.00 on headphones is better spent on upgrading the speaker system, my 2 cents.

Yeah they were very good, beautiful detail  and transparency but as I said I have found with all headphones no soundstage. Everything to me is so easy to pick, it's either coming from the left headphone or the right. I have never heard any headphone that I don't have this problem with.

Listened later to a Luxman SACD $8000 and Luxman Class-A amp $6500 as well as the cheaper Primare i32 $3000 and ML Electros and ML floorstanders as well as Vienna Acoustics and I would take the floor system any day over the headphone system. 

The Dac is very nice, best bit of the kit personally, if I had that type of money to drop on a Dac it would be a big contender, not that I've heard heaps of dacs but that is far the best I have heard

The VEGA is a decent DAC but given that the its listed on the a2a website at $4,299, you may want to consider saving a little bit more and looking at options around the $5k mark (Phasure, Lampizator, AMR etc...).  Also I have been told the Metrum Hex is worth a listen (and a bit cheaper than the VEGA too)

Edited by gavtron

Yeah they were very good, beautiful detail  and transparency but as I said I have found with all headphones no soundstage. Everything to me is so easy to pick, it's either coming from the left headphone or the right. I have never heard any headphone that I don't have this problem with. 

I heard the Stax o2 mk1 a few weeks ago - best "out of the head" soundstage I've heard on a headphone to date.  Far better than the Audeze cans I have.

I have auditioned the HD600/650/800, LCD2, AKG 701, Beyer990/880/t90/t1/t70. Not all on the same system. I connected with the HD800 with some extremely well recorded voices, absolute mine blowing for a what it was, however all the other recordings on it I just didn't connect with. Out of all these, I connected with a Beyerdynamic T90. The T90 is the only dynamic can that appeared to be the most efficient and detailed cans that I have ever had on my head. To me they get you so close to the recording that I'm trying to find funds to get a pair. At $699 at the time I thought are a bargain, now Beyerdynamic have a promotion on, they are $575! I have a Stax Lambda pro, so I'm tossing whether to get this or get a 507.

The T90 is not everyone's cup of tea as the head-Fi thread for the T90, but everyone hears thing differently and have different equipment, so each to there own.

Agree with you guys, you still need a speaker rig, the cans gives you another side of the sound!

Edited by pchan

Pchan where do you audition the Stax gear?

Went into A2A last week for this reason, only to be told they do not have any to audition.

Pchan where do you audition the Stax gear?

Went into A2A last week for this reason, only to be told they do not have any to audition.

Rated,

You have to go to Tivoli HIFI bro,

They are in Hawthorn,

http://www.tivolihifi.com/catalogue/brands/stax

A2A will not have them to be audition, reason as I have been told that they are sensitive to light and environment.

If you make it out there, listen to all the Stax cans and there assoc drivers, they are all different..

Edited by pchan

pchan if you ever want to get rip of your Lambda pro, drop me a line I am interested.

I have a 407 which use the same driver as a 507, so if you are interested in a listen maybe we can get together.

What Stax amp have you got?

Edited by rx79ez08

I have auditioned the HD600/650/800, LCD2, AKG 701, Beyer990/880/t90/t1/t70. Not all on the same system. I connected with the HD800 with some extremely well recorded voices, absolute mine blowing for a what it was, however all the other recordings on it I just didn't connect with. Out of all these, I connected with a Beyerdynamic T90. The T90 is the only dynamic can that appeared to be the most efficient and detailed cans that I have ever had on my head. To me they get you so close to the recording that I'm trying to find funds to get a pair. At $699 at the time I thought are a bargain, now Beyerdynamic have a promotion on, they are $575! I have a Stax Lambda pro, so I'm tossing whether to get this or get a 507.

The T90 is not everyone's cup of tea as the head-Fi thread for the T90, but everyone hears thing differently and have different equipment, so each to there own.

Agree with you guys, you still need a speaker rig, the cans gives you another side of the sound!

I have listened to most of these cans as well and the Abyss kill them all, but they would want to for the price.

I have listened to most of these cans as well and the Abyss kill them all, but they would want to for the price.

I actually perfer HD800. There are something the Abyss does very well, but in terms of natural and fast pace sound the HD800 is much better in my opinion. Also I am wondering how much of it is the amp that your are hearding, espeically with the rig at A2A. Plus the Abyss's price is a little bit much.

Edited by rx79ez08

I actually perfer HD800. There are something the Abyss does very well, but in terms of natural and fast pace sound the HD800 is much better in my opinion. Also I am wondering how much of it is the amp that your are hearding, espeically with the rig at A2A. Plus the Abyss's price is a little bit much.

I have posted my impressions of the abyss in another topic on here - but I prefer the LCD-3 - to my ear the Abyss isn't as musical..

Rated,

You have to go to Tivoli HIFI bro,

They are in Hawthorn,

http://www.tivolihifi.com/catalogue/brands/stax

A2A will not have them to be audition, reason as I have been told that they are sensitive to light and environment.

If you make it out there, listen to all the Stax cans and there assoc drivers, they are all different..

Thanks pchan.

Am also thinking about the 507 as my first electrostat. What driver would you recommend?

From what ive read, the 006 is good with the 407, but not sure about it with the 507.