Help me. Kef LS50 vs Dynaudio Focus 160 MKII

ps one thing I will say about the KEFs is that they are reasonably easy to drive well. 

I think it really depends on the amp. For instance, my Brio-R sounded ok with the Dynaudios, but really struggled to bring the LS50's to life. 

1500 for the 160's was what put them under my radar in the first place. Otherwise i would have gone LS50 and never looked back. I get this feeling that I'll regret it if I don't jump one of those pairs.

As before, my top priorities are imaging, transparency and ability to fill the room. When it comes to bass I prefer quick, tight with a visceral punch- and what I'm hearing makes me think that the 160 would be bass monsters in a small room (i listened to them in a room larger than my own)- which I do not want.

can anyone comment on this?

Imaging and transparency would surely have to go to the point source Kefs I would have thought. And ability to fill the room to the Dyns lol! I wouldn't be worried about the Dyns with bass though. Sure they've got a good bottom end, but if the amplification is matched well it's not going to be out of hand. Sorry if that's not much help...

• Like 1

1500 for the 160's was what put them under my radar in the first place. Otherwise i would have gone LS50 and never looked back. I get this feeling that I'll regret it if I don't jump one of those pairs.

As before, my top priorities are imaging, transparency and ability to fill the room. When it comes to bass I prefer quick, tight with a visceral punch- and what I'm hearing makes me think that the 160 would be bass monsters in a small room (i listened to them in a room larger than my own)- which I do not want.

I've owned both brands and have found that Dynaudios are typically quite revealing, tight, natural etc. Kef, to my mind is a typical English speaker that is polite, very musical and easy to listen to. I suspect it may image better than the Dyn but you should be the best judge of that. All this of course is subject to other variables such as your source/amp combo. As someone else has mentioned, Dynaudio is quite power hungry, with a sensitivity of 86dB. I think the Kef's are easier to drive than that. 

Agree that you could do well to visit A2V (Denis White) on Unley Rd and have a general listen. I don't know what Challenge has in the way of Kef's at the moment, but I still have my Reference 105's if you want to come over for a listen.

I've owned both brands and have found that Dynaudios are typically quite revealing, tight, natural etc. Kef, to my mind is a typical English speaker that is polite, very musical and easy to listen to. I suspect it may image better than the Dyn but you should be the best judge of that. All this of course is subject to other variables such as your source/amp combo. As someone else has mentioned, Dynaudio is quite power hungry, with a sensitivity of 86dB. I think the Kef's are easier to drive than that. 

If I could say one thing - don't apply anything you've heard from past KEF speakers to the LS50 (unless you've heard the flagship Blade). They don't sound anything like the current 'R' series (which I found warm and polite) - they're far more open and transparent. 

Also, the LS50 are rated as having a sensitivity of 85dB - they're not that easy to drive. ;)

Edited by twwen2
  • Like 1

If a home demo is too hard, and it can be if you have not bought half the store already, I would suggest tucking the little NAP under your arm and visiting those two stores again using you own gear.

Naim amps are not weak little Chinese cheapies, they put decent power supplies item.

I would agree that the two speakers in theory should sound different in your room. The if the claims that the Focus is close as damn it to the older Contours then they would be serious speakers. I have heard the Contour on the end of about 15 grands worth of gear on a number of occasions. I was targeting that guys sound quality a few years ago and I had B&W 804s that I was struggling to make sing ( i really needed a big Mcintosh or Classe on those speakers).

What will be critical to your outcome will be system synergy, it's the difference between ok and excellent sound. If audio quality is your priority you need to get your gear on the end of each speaker one way or another to see if they are a synergistic match. You also need to take your time listening to them, not just a 10 minute session. If not, just buy whichever looks prettier.

Edited by Briz Vegas

Even better get the Dyn Focus 110A - these are a bargain at $1100 - these active speakers have a 50w amp for each driver ie 2 per speaker, also have eq for fine tuning to your room.. 

http://www.rio.com.au/product/0/16/1100/dynaudio-focus-110a

Hook it straight up to your PSaudio PWD MKii and you're in business - no need for a pre amp and no need for amp matching Dynaudio have done that for you already

Sell your Naim, it won't do Dyn's justice anyway..

I borrowed a Naim Supernait (80wpc) and it drove the 160's with ease.

Agree 100%. I heard some 160s with a Nait 5i and it was a great combination.  I don't know which Naim amp is supposed to not work with the Dyns but it ain't the 5i or the XS or the Supernait.

• Like 1

Nor will it cost nearly as much.

That's why I recommend the Active 110A's , without passive xovers to deal with and matched amps for each driver the quality will rival serious amps in a passive config..

I have owned Dyns, first was the audience 52s this was my first taste of the dyn house sound then the contour S1.4 which i still own, the Dyns are great for all music genre, detailed but not dry or analytical, there's the right depth in the bass, you can listen for hours and hours without listening fatigue....oh and even in low volume level, they are pleasant...i also have limited space just 6 x 5 room...I'm using tube amp to drive the dyns....

Yes. Jump on them.

too good a price to pass up. 

Edited by holliswhy

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.luxurie.me/kef-collection/?sort=pricedesc&page=3

Hi.  In February 2013, a friend purchased a pair of LS50s from the above website.  They deduct VAT for non-EU purchases; and have a further discount for first-time users of the site.  Their shipping costs were low.  Contact them for a quote.

The Australian dollar was stronger in February - so my friend managed to have them arrive at his door without any GST/Tariffs - that is, for under Aus $1000.  

Cheers, Rob.