Recommend me an AVR

My Integra DTR8.8 HDMI module has died and I will be shopping around for a new AVR.

Here is my current setup:

Speakers - MK Sound 750THX Select for fronts, MK Sound SUR-55t surrounds.

Bluray player - current base model Denon.

Subs - 2x Energy 8.3 (temporary addition).

System is 100% solely used for Home Theatre duties, no music.

Which brands should i look at? Do I pitch at Middle of the range or top of the range?

Budget $3.5k max and needs to be one box, cant fit in separates.

Well, in your budget, all the goss is that the Yamaha Aventage is leading the pack at the moment. That may be the 3030 for you at $2,700?

Thanks, I will have a  look at one of these. The hardest part about auditioning is MK Sound speakers are not widely sold in Brissy and auditioning a variety of AVR's is not possible.

A lot of people recommend Cambridge Audio, Anthem etc with a bias towards music quality from a receiver. Would the likes of Yamaha, Denon, Marantz outperform these in Home Theatre use?

Edited by Golden Boy

A lot of people recommend Cambridge Audio, Anthem etc with a bias towards music quality from a receiver. Would the likes of Yamaha, Denon, Marantz outperform these in Home Theatre use?

I can't speak for Denon and Marantz, but a lot of people are ignorant of Yamaha's music and audio credentials. They make practically zero video products, but have a long history in classical instruments, music production gear, and signal processing to get the sound of a concert hall into the home. There is a reason why their logo is three tuning forks. :)

Comparison (with CA and Anthem, NAD etc for 100% home theatre use) should IMHO focus on whether they all support all the latest movie-playback technologies. I know NAD used to lag in this area, but cannot speak for their latest stuff.

What I can say, though, is that Yamaha Aventage AVRs are top-pick in more than one continent at the moment. 

[edit: grammar]

Edited by Newman

There is a reason why their logo is three tuning forks. :)

aren't those tuning forks supposed to be used on your dirt bike, golf cart, jet ski, road bike, outboard boat motor/s?

apparently they have the best sounding engine note going round. must be those audio credentials.  ;)

aren't those tuning forks supposed to be used on your dirt bike, golf cart, jet ski, road bike, outboard boat motor/s?

apparently they have the best sounding engine note going round. must be those audio credentials.  ;)

:) :) 

http://www.yamaha.com/about_yamaha/corporate/brand/tuning_fork_mark/

Their first product was a piano: the tuning fork symbolised the tune of their piano. 

I'd be personally more inclined to go mid-range (i.e. Onkyo TXnr818) and spend the rest on upgrading your front speakers.

Upgrading speakers is out of the question, my wife will not allow it for one and secondly we both really enjoy these speakers, no need to upgrade something I am happy with.

Have a look at the Cambridge Audio 751 AVR, I have the 650 R, which is pretty good.

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Cambridge. I have owned several products (540AVR, 640Cv2, 840C, DVD89, DacMagic) and each one fell short on quality control, they all developed issues of one sort or another.

Edited by Golden Boy

Upgrading speakers is out of the question, my wife will not allow it for one and secondly we both really enjoy these speakers, no need to upgrade something I am happy with.

fair enough! Just no point dropping $3.5k on an AVR with those speakers imho - but you've got to go with what makes you happy. :) Best of luck with the search (there was a decent ARCAM in the classifieds some time ago)

fair enough! Just no point dropping $3.5k on an AVR with those speakers imho - but you've got to go with what makes you happy. :) Best of luck with the search (there was a decent ARCAM in the classifieds some time ago)

Thanks, I saw that Arcam but the HDMI module on the Integra was behaving itself at that stage.

100% movie should choose Denon, cause Denon means no misic :). and your speaker is perfect with Denon.

don't understand that myself. Denon means no music? Does it?!

Furthermore, has anyone watched a movie lately that had no music in it? Would have been pretty uninspiring.....

• Like 1

I have been doing a bit of research and also WAF gauging (very important), and she is very keen on the Marantz SR7007, I think it is the looks that appeal to her. Dollar wise the Marantz fits nicely and it appears to compliment the MK Sound Speakers.

I have been doing a bit of research and also WAF gauging (very important), and she is very keen on the Marantz SR7007, I think it is the looks that appeal to her. Dollar wise the Marantz fits nicely and it appears to compliment the MK Sound Speakers.

No Audyssey XT32 on the 7007 though... that's a deal breaker in my books.

Get the Onkyo NR1010 for $1650 and you're laughing. http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/specials.html

Edited by Juicester

Shameless plug - I have an Anthem MRX 500 for sale at $950 that has hardly been used - its RRP is $2199.  You can borrow it if you like - just drop me a line.

But to be honest I have to say this and other HT receivers I have heard I have found rather ordinary.  I got the Anthem to check it out for HT and it cured me - which is why I am selling it.

Its a pity the Emotiva processor isn't available yet:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc1

It would be perfect coupled to some decent amps.

Thanks

Bill

Shameless plug - I have an Anthem MRX 500 for sale at $950 that has hardly been used - its RRP is $2199.  You can borrow it if you like - just drop me a line.

But to be honest I have to say this and other HT receivers I have heard I have found rather ordinary.  I got the Anthem to check it out for HT and it cured me - which is why I am selling it.

Its a pity the Emotiva processor isn't available yet:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc1

It would be perfect coupled to some decent amps.

Thanks

Bill

I'd never trust emotivas hdmi implementation or th room correction system...

• Like 2

Onkyo TX-NR818 , Yamaha RX-A1020 or the Anthem MRX 500 from bhobba (if still available). My decisions seem to get harder not easier. :) Thought I should add both the Onkyo and Yamaha are on special so prices are pretty similar.

Edited by Cichlabxr

• 4 weeks later...