Amp choice - Jungson, Vincent or Xindak?

I am looking for an integrated amplifier  that has some punch and has a fuller sound with a smooth mid-range / treble. For the price range I am looking  I first thought  about the Jungson JA88D. I have heard this and rather like the sound. But the speakers it will be driving are are around 87db and then I thought i should look to something with more power. Both the Vincent SV226 MK and the Xindak XA 6900/ 6950 seem to  be well received by some owners  but I have had no real experience with them.  Can anyone comment on the sound qualities of these amps or how they compare?

Hank

Edited by moonbeam

I ran some Proac studio 125 and Response 2.5's with the JA88D and never felt they were under powered. It tested much more powerful than the rated 80 WPC. (120 > 8 ohm and 160 > 4 ohm ) I tried to give you the link but it wont let me.

Also just because the speakers are 87db doesn't mean that they are hard to drive. The Lenehan ML1 is similar db and some have got away with low powered valve amps.

Edited by Braddles 63

Guest Hensa

The JA-88D won't have any problem driving 87db speakers (what speakers are they, by the way?) I haven't heard the Vincent so can't comment there. I spent some time with the Jungson a few years ago before eventually buying a similarly spec'd Cayin H80A. The Jungson is an excellent amplifier and delivers a very full sound (typically Class A, you might say). I've listened to Xindak amps before though not the model you have specified but I don't recall being 'wowed' like I was with the Jungson.

One other ammp you should look at for the sound you describe is the Yamaha A-S1000. Slightly more power than the Jungson, very full and exceptionally smooth - highly recommended!

I'd suggest you look at any number of vintage Sansui's or the odd Luxman, oh OK then, look at some big nasty Yamaha's as well.

You don't actually need a shelf of glowing glass to get a sound you know but it does look marvellous on display doesn't it.

Sansui AU-(umm, now I'm in the spotlight I might defer to PeteMac or Skippy :huh: )...4900 just dominates my two speakers(Preludes and 11L Classics) as well as it's lesser cousin the small 2900 and these are hooked into a valve CDP...

I'll leave now... :ph34r:

I believe that the Yamaha AS-1000 is on special in a few places for somewhere around $1500, at that price I would think that it's a no brainer.

The Cayin S200 would also fit the bill (powerful but smooth presence, nice resolution, clear but smooth in the top end, it does get warm though!), but since it is circa $1250 direct from Hong Kong the Yammy (with local service backup) is still a stiff competitor.

I've heard good things about Vincent but not sure how well they handle difficult speakers, I've heard from a couple of people who upgraded from Vincent amps to others with more grunt (I'm not sure on the model details these fellows were using).

Wish I could comment on those Jungson and Xindak models but, not yet I'm afraid.

Thanks folks for the replies so far. Speakers are Dynaudio Countour S 5.4. I hadn't thought about the Yamaha - must check it out. The Vincent and Jungson get such good wraps from people who have them and I guess there is quite a number of choices  when you bring others like the Cayin S 200  and Consonance Calaf into the mix. The Jungson JA99D looks tempting but its double the price of the 88D.  I thought  about a vintage amp but  would probably worry too much about its longevity.

I notice that Vincent recommends speakers with impedances  of between 4 to 8 ohms for its amps and the others don't place the same limits, so I am assuming they should  have less problems with difficult loads.

The Jungson JA99D looks tempting but its double the price of the 88D.  

I drive my Maggies with a JA99DLE (100W class A model) and it does it easily. Great amp for the price. Haven't heard the JA88 so can't tell you how they compare.

I've owned the Jungson amp, and yes, it was powering 87db speakers. Did so with ease too, and a great amp.

If it wasn't Chinese made, Jungson would have sold a squillion of them.

Totally agree ,,,

I have a Jungson JA-88D ... it's a great amp ... solidly built and very conservatively rated @ 80 WRMS.

It would easily drive your Dynaudio's ... I have 86db Usher S520's and the Jungson easily over powers them if I turn the wick up.

The best thing about the JA-88D is how good it sounds ... musical and articulate with a beautifully detailed midrange and treble and solid, deep bass. 

It's a "bang for buck" bargain.

Edited by Sierra