Steromojo Review ML1 Reference

bhobba

Because he doesn't think it has an issue.  The Wilson's may be 5db down at some part of its frequency range but its claimed to be flat to +- 3db which is pretty good

Bill 

But it's not +- 3 db (more like -5db), and these days +-3 db is not good enough. Even amateur diy projects can achieve +- 1db. Other manufactures (like emerald) even claims +- 0.5db which is impressive if true.

I have been at GTG's where ML2 Reference were compared to S2 Reference.  The biggest difference in those speakers is the ML2 is lined with steel and the S2 not.  The ML2 is less resonant and measurements prove it.  The ML2 sounds much more dynamic and alive because of it and most people prefer it - but some don't - they prefer the less dynamic S2.  Even though the ML2 is more accurate not everyone likes more accurate.

I have to put my hand up as being one of those people.  It's not that I don't appreciate that the ML2s are a faster, more dynamic speaker it's just that I prefer the slightly more laid back nature and tonality of the S2.  Though in my opinion the S2 is still pretty damn dynamic.

• Like 1

Giving a subjective review that happened to be nagative (in his opinion) based on his experience with the product, how dare he! He can't possibly be right and must have a personal agenda, poor hearing or poor equipment...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that - I certainly am not.

I am suggesting he has different triggers on what sounds real to him based on personal experiences/preferences and the type of gear he has and likes.

I personally think the review is great fun and am very happy I sent them for review - it bought a few 'home truths' to light IMHO - namely pretty much what James Darby said at the end of the review - you must listen to gear - no shortcuts - no guru reviewers you can rely on - it's the only way.

We have two very experienced audiophiles with two divergent opinions - that speaks volumes.

But does anyone really expect it to be different.  For example B&W 802DS's leave me and others cold - but some love em.  I love Lenehan Speakers - to others - ho hum - viva la difference I say.

Thanks

Bill

Are these the speakers on display at last years Sydney hi fi show?

If they are, I would concur with the review that thought them "polite".

I was hoping to be to attend the recent ACT GtG to hear more of the Lenehan stable but wasn't able to fit it in, to get a better idea of what they sound like.

Maybe the disparite reviews just really show what we already know.

Different people have different preferences.

Graham

I have to put my hand up as being one of those people.  It's not that I don't appreciate that the ML2s are a faster, more dynamic speaker it's just that I prefer the slightly more laid back nature and tonality of the S2.  Though in my opinion the S2 is still pretty damn dynamic.

And there is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with that - just like there is nothing wrong with Bruce's view of ML1's.  

It's just an interesting exercise in conjecturing why that may be - hence this thread.

Thanks

Bill

I was hoping to be to attend the recent ACT GtG to hear more of the Lenehan stable but wasn't able to fit it in, to get a better idea of what they sound like.

Don't worry when Kev (my mate Kev - not the other one) down in Canberra gets his ML2 Limited's there will be another opportunity.

Maybe the disparite reviews just really show what we already know. Different people have different preferences.

Bingo.  We have a winner.

Thanks

Bill

Are these the speakers on display at last years Sydney hi fi show?

If they are, I would concur with the review that thought them "polite".

Maybe the disparite reviews just really show what we already know.

Different people have different preferences.

Graham

They sounded like crap at the sydney hifi show nothing like i get at home 

• Like 1

I agree Mario--I went 3 times into that room(read dog box!) and put the poor sound down to setup and the flat front end equipment.

Willco

• Like 1

Yea - that's what everyone I chatted to who heard them said.  Even Mike thought they sounded rather ordinary.

Maybe that's the reason - who knows.

Thanks

Bill

Electronics can be much accurate than any electromechanical transducer can dream of!

If significant changes due to amps, perhaps the amp itself have rising response to compensate the lack of BSC ? ... We are generally talking about +3 to +6 db here! so not little.

My amp has a BSC button  lenehan audio recommends this feature due to lack of BSC in his speaker design........

I agree Mario--I went 3 times into that room(read dog box!) and put the poor sound down to setup and the flat front end equipment.

I am pretty sure when you heard them at Mikes it was an entirely different story.  Its possible that what's going on here.

Thanks

Bill

Hey Bill - nice work there helping to promote Aussie gear in the states by organising reviews

I think the review is fascinating too as

1. the first reviewer was free to write his negative opinion which means the reviewers are  free from pumping out the usually positive opinion for sale rubbish.

2. the second reviewer is so very positive, its like he was listening to a different system - oh yes, he was

3. this means the ML1 are a great monitor with wonderful transparency to source - it would be good to see them in more recording studios

• Like 2

I am pretty sure when you heard them at Mikes it was an entirely different story.  Its possible that what's going on here.

Thanks

Bill

Totally Bill-- I've heard Lenehan Speakers on many occasions now and heartily endorse there're stature as one of the finest produced locally- a credit to Oz manufacturing for a very discerning and tight knit market.

On the Reviews as published above I'm at a loss I must admit to such a glaring discrepancy between two obviously "Audio" educated individuals-- my own gut feeling is Mr. Brown MAY have other agendas at play for this in all seriousness

the Lenehans have their share of slight shortcomings in some areas as posters have alluded to --I just find the seemingly off the planet remarks from the Mr B.difficult to understand considering the vitriol in his writing.

With such a plethora of fine front end equipment at his disposal-- and none of it worked with the speakers?? 

Hmmmm -I think maybe there is more to this than we will ever know frankly

With Stereo Mojo possibly just out of the mainstream-- the negativity of the Review will not hopefully negate Mikes chance to move the product on the US market--he has my vote anyhow!

Interested to see what transpires

Willco

Hey Bill - nice work there helping to promote Aussie gear in the states by organising reviews

Hi Nada

Thanks mate.

It resulted from a lucky confluence of events.  A guy in the US did me a good turn getting me a piece of gear so I returned the favor and lent him a pair of ML1 Reference I had for sale - he had already heard a pair and wanted to keep them longer.  He also has a sales business and thought he may have been able to sell them but that never worked out so I wanted them back to sell here in Aus.  But thought - what the heck lets get them reviewed first and with the publicity from the review I may be able to sell them in the US.  As you can see that didn't quite work out.  I suspect, correctly, anyone after reading that review will want to hear them first.  That's probably a good idea anyway so I may have to offer some kind of listen before you buy arrangement rather than get them shipped back to Aus where they are much better known.

Thanks

Bill

With Stereo Mojo possibly just out of the mainstream-- the negativity of the Review will not hopefully negate Mikes chance to move the product on the US market--he has my vote anyhow! Interested to see what transpires

Yea - it will be interesting.

Personally rather than reflect negatively on Mikes speakers I think it reinforces what we already know, and audiophiles who don't know should know; you must listen to gear.

There is another review in the works and I already know that person is more along the lines of the second review.

Anyway I still think its one of the most fun reviews I have ever read.

Thanks

Bill

IMO some designers of audio equipment can be very dismissive of the technology or type of sound produced by others if it doesn't fit exactly into their preconceived ideas of what is the correct approach - present company excepted of course! Bill Brown fits into that category IMO and I thought it was somewhat arrogant of him to believe he could make such absolute judgements without any real investigation or corroboration into the dichotomy of opinion between him and others (including his wife!). Thinking that trying the speakers in a different room of his house was giving them a fair go is a joke.

I'm not sure what he meant by 'analytical' and 'upfront'. I assume analytic = no 'warmth' ?

Do the speakers (ML1) employ baffle step compensation circuit?

Hi gainfile

the ML1 baffle step is set primarily using the lead inductor in the LP bass circuit and then utilising the remaining LP components to compensate. Baffle step is defined as the frequency at which all energy going forward from the baffle face converts to all energy being radiated with an omnidirectional pattern. It's also described as the 2Pi to 4Pi transition frequency .       Regards Mike Lenehan     Lenehanudio 

• Like 1