new house , new room

8 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

What exactly was the Plinius disaster? You mentioned speaker damage but didn't say if it was caused by a fault with the amp or from injudicious use of the volume control.

A long unpleasant story with me $1500 out of pocket throught no fault of my own. 

• 7 months later...

Well another big tidy up and change around here, finally decided I wanted to simply the system hopefully without losing anything in the progress. 

To replace the  plinius m14 phono stage, the W4S STP-SE pre and the Bryston 4Bsst2 , I bought @Tubularbells JRDG Continuun S2 integrated. 

Cuts the box and cable content down by quite a lot. 

Early days yet yet for talking about sound quality, but the phono stage seems very good   The sound seems clear and detailed including the bass. One thing I found odd was the volume level settings on the amp goes from 00.0 to  99.5 with normal listening levels I've found to be 50-60 , then louder at 70-80. I checked with JRDG was told that's normal. Normally I found on a amp 9 o'clock is lnormal listening and 10 or 11 o''clock is loud. 

Will ill advise with :afro: more listening. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 5

Awesome setup Dave love those Dynaudios!. Re the volume trust me you will NEVER run out of power with the Continuum2. I tried several times and nearly liquified my organs in doing do. At around 80 on the volume you still have approx. 20db headroom so in my case where the JBLs are about 97db efficient thats like only 2w for a 100db output and maxing out the amps 400w into 8 ohms with the volume in the high 90s was equal to over 120db in room.

Your C5 seem to be thirsty buggers @ 83db/4ohm  so below is approx what you should expect to get in output Vs. power. Bearing in mind you loose around 3db for every meter from the speaker but you also gain 3db as your running two speakers so in theory with 800w on tap from the Contunuum (as your speakers are 4 ohm) you'll get over 110db which is plenty loud (even for me!). I suspect most of your listening will be done using only 1/8 of its power rating. Another thing I found was it never got harsh at loud volumes like some amps tend to do which for me was pretty dangerous as i tended to wind the wick up further than I probably should have :P

83 1w

86 2w

89 4w

92 8w

95 16w

98 32w

101 64w

104 128w

107 256w

110   512w

113 1024w

• Like 2

Thanks @Tubularbells for the info. 

I did notice the quieter levels also depend on what you are playing , one of my first cds was Tracy Chapman's first album which is pretty the loudness wars. I notice with a more modern recording the volume is of course louder. You are correct on the sound not getting harsh at louder levels. Also the iPhone stage as a very solid sound to it. 

Cheers Dave 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good, been putting together the info from the two threads (how come there are two threads?)

You moved from the ATC to the Dyn's sideways or upwards movement? Shame you didn't get longer with the Plinius, whats the comparison like with the Bel Canto and the New amp, thoughts?

I think the other thread is the old house or maybe the plinius issues thread

T are definitely a setup from the atc. tho these were the scm40 mk 1. I have not heard the new scm40 tho

New amp amp seems very detailed - still getting my head around it and how it does stuff.

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 11:38 PM, cafe67 said:

Well another big tidy up and change around here, finally decided I wanted to simply the system hopefully without losing anything in the progress. 

To replace the  plinius m14 phono stage, the W4S STP-SE pre and the Bryston 4Bsst2 , I bought @Tubularbells JRDG Continuun S2 integrated. 

Cuts the box and cable content down by quite a lot. 

Early days yet yet for talking about sound quality, but the phono stage seems very good   The sound seems clear and detailed including the bass. One thing I found odd was the volume level settings on the amp goes from 00.0 to  99.5 with normal listening levels I've found to be 50-60 , then louder at 70-80. I checked with JRDG was told that's normal. Normally I found on a amp 9 o'clock is lnormal listening and 10 or 11 o''clock is loud. 

Will ill advise with :afro: more listening. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I know this is months behind the times but, on my first fleeting glance at this last photo I mistakenly thought that the two crates with the LPs in them might have been a pair of Chord mono-bloc amps. Silly me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Ta-da 

image.jpeg

Ha ha..... and there was me thinking you had seen the light and obtained some single ended triodes......:thumb::):lol:...... very nice...

Next up new style isolation pucks/bobbins from Stuart at SGR audio.

these are less of a sorbathane compound than the original ones and you can see from the photos the difference in the shapes. I have put these under the turntable on the top shelf and redistributed the original 8 under the CD player and amp respectively.  They seem a bit wobbly at the moment, but will compress and presumably less wobbly. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

And finally all the way from Issaquah Washington courtesy of Audiophile Vibration Control Products , cable risers :D . File under tweaky. 

Like everything audio, cable risers ranged from cheapish to ludicrous in price. Googling show up these guys with seems a really nice range of products not to badly priced although postage isn't cheap unfortunately. 

https://audiophilevibrationcontrol.com

Not sure how much impact on sound yet but hey they look cool . 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 4