Sign in to follow this  
Xonnie316

Have you ever purchased vinyl through Discogs ?

Unfortunately it seems Paypal agree - they will refund the 54 Euros, but only IF I return the broken merchandise to Greece, with tracking!

That costs AUS$47 airmail.... which you must pickup yourself (their words) and makes it not worthwhile of course (just as PayPal hope you'll decide).

At least with a charge-back on c/card I can do it without all the hoops to jump through..... and get the money immediately.

painful..... of course this process would have happened had I gone through eBay too, so it's my own fault for trusting a Greek seller. Lesson learned.   :(

I had a similar problem 

I rang paypal and spoke to them about it and they agreed it was not worth it to return.

I got a full refund.

Have you spoken to them ? 

I just ordered vinyl of discogs.

My music taste is very specific, and it's hard to find my taste.

Can't find anything local, so overseas is the best option.

But this means ; shipping costs...

There is one 'big site' that sells my style, and has a large collection, but shipping is around $60 (E40)

That just puts me off.....

While browsing on discogs, which I do often cause it's a wealth of info, I found a seller with more then 10.000 revieuws.

99.9 % positive, a massive selection of my style vinyl, and reasonable prices, from as little as $5.

And shipping depends on amount of vinyl, in my case $30 (E20).

So for less then $100 , I got 8 vinyls on my way.

I'm pretty excited.

Can you share the seller?

Discogs has become my main supply with a couple of trusted sellers. Last shipment was delivered in less than 7 days from the US - averaged $30/album..

You missed the subsequent posts?

This was satisfactorily settled.

Bought two records not too long ago, from a seller in the US and a seller in Lithuania. Before anything I contacted them and asked them to please be thorough with the packing, mentioning AusPosts treatment of parcels from time to time. They assured me the items would be packed well. A little under two weeks and both records were delivered safe and sound home. Can't complain!

Recently I bought a record from a German seller in Berlin. I was lucky enough to be in Berlin at said time, so I just went and picked up the record myself. Easy! I guess the key is communication before you commit to anything.

Its amazing what people will pay for some albums.  I don't generally sell my records, however my collection is on discogs.

A guy contacted me as he can see I own a copy of Icehouse - Code Blue and offered to buy.  It is Icehouse worst album but I am not a seller.

https://www.discogs.com/Icehouse-Code-Blue/release/2532288

I said $300 if he really wants it.  I thought he would just go away.    Anyway, done deal and I have the cash.    I guess if he wants it that bad, I am happy send it to him as I won't miss it.

32553991593_e89e78241b_b.jpg

Edited by Metamatic

I've had issues with maybe 1 or 2 and just not purchased anything else from them.  For the most part I've been quite successful with discogs.  Communication timeliness is a good indicator.  I purchased from maybe 15 sellers, usually record stores.  Packed well and about 2-3 weeks delivery

The riskiest part is the grading - someone's near mint is not always the same as yours.  I only look for near mint grading

3 hours ago, Metamatic said:

Its amazing what people will pay for some albums.  I don't generally sell my records, however my collection is on discogs.

A guy contacted me as he can see I own a copy of Icehouse - Code Blue and offered to buy.  It is Icehouse worst album but I am not a seller.

I said $300 if he really wants it.  I thought he would just go away.    Anyway, done deal and I have the cash.    I guess if he wants it that bad, I am happy send it to him as I won't miss it.

One Mans trash another Mans treasure....and that sort of thing..

Tase.

11 hours ago, scuzzii said:

I've had issues with maybe 1 or 2 and just not purchased anything else from them.  For the most part I've been quite successful with discogs.  Communication timeliness is a good indicator.  I purchased from maybe 15 sellers, usually record stores.  Packed well and about 2-3 weeks delivery

The riskiest part is the grading - someone's near mint is not always the same as yours.  I only look for near mint grading

Since their grading goes from VG+ - NM and VG+ can get a bit , ( let's say), 'Flexible' in that it covers a wide range of previous usage I've found more and more very used records being listed as VG+ when they really aren't.  

So I decided I'd only go for NM too.  Bothered to even ask for confirmation of grading of a high priced single I was after cos it was 'real money'.  The answer downgraded it from NM to VG+, also on the listing.  Right !!....THEN WHY SAY NM IN THE BLOODY FIRST PLACE. !!!

Edited by eman

Guest Hensa
23 hours ago, Metamatic said:

32553991593_e89e78241b_b.jpg

Shane, have you got a price in mind for your comprehensive Diana Krall collection?:thumb:

1 hour ago, Hensa said:

Shane, have you got a price in mind for your comprehensive Diana Krall collection?:thumb:

Funny.  Never had one offer for that collection.:P   Never been played!!   If I had them in mofi sleeves, it might double in value ;)

Edited by Metamatic

The Germans used to be reliable and now have the cheapest postage too,  (costs less to send around the world than across the state !), but now I'm finding they're just chucking any old rubbish on there and overgrading like everybody else.

The fun has really gone out of this game once it became popular and all the prices went up and the quality went down.  (oh .........& the exchange rate dropped too).

It can be a bit of a lottery when it comes to gradings and that's why I always email and ask a seller a few questions if its an item of value. I closely scrutinise their feedback too and depending on the response I receive back, will make a call on whether I trust them. Bought probably 150+ items and been done over once. by an Aussie too :P Went through the paypal refund palaver but got there in the end.

Agree that Germany has very good postage costs.

If you love it or hate discogs for some is the only path to find what you really want online ... finding a certain record down the local in any given state will be impossible unfortunately, unless a store buyer hauls in a few boxes of overseas shipments of your specific genre .

Im happy to pay that little extra from discogs , but if I can find it here even betta..

I avoid uk sellers , and go through Germany these days .. 

1 hour ago, Diynamic said:

If you love it or hate discogs for some is the only path to find what you really want online ... finding a certain record down the local in any given state will be impossible unfortunately, unless a store buyer hauls in a few boxes of overseas shipments of your specific genre .

Im happy to pay that little extra from discogs , but if I can find it here even betta..

I avoid uk sellers , and go through Germany these days .. 

Yep , we've got one shop now instead of none.

Being able to inspect and listen in person is much better than the online 'roll-a-dice' but it's still my only option for most of what I want.

Our one little shop has limited resources for importing anything or displaying in bulk so it's very limited in range.

Discogs is great just check the seller ratings... as far as postage ive found postage from Germany is way cheaper than anywhere else international... which is good considering most German pressings are of the highest order

Lately I’ve purchased more original pressings than reissues, and in the last six months I’ve struck out a lot on Discogs. 

Seeking VG+ or better, I’ve experienced more than a 50% failure rate. I only choose sellers with great feedback, and more importantly (IMO) those that provide detailed descriptions. 

For example, today I received a record described as NM, which had lead - in damage on all four sides, and a split cover. 

This could just be the odds balancing (my early Discogs experiences were positive), or the vinyl craze causing more sellers to be careless.