Have you ever purchased vinyl through Discogs ?

Another note regarding buying from discogs.Of all the purchase I have made I have had to follow up the last couple.Allow 2 weeks for postage then get back to the seller if it has been posted.If no reply open a paypal dispute and see how quick they reply.Dont leave it too late as paypal have a 45 day cut off for refunds.Here are a couple of reply I have have lately.

1/Hello is there a issue for payment??
Thanks Eamonn

1/I have now shipped this item my apologies for the delay I have been unwell

2/Hello,has this item been shipped??
Thanks Eamonn

2/Hi....very very sorry for the delay but I was away on vacation when you paid. I was able to ship the record out when I returned last Thursday. It is on the way and should be there soon. I really appreciate your patience. Randy

3/Hello ,has this item been sent yet??
Thanks

3/Hello ,a paypal dispute will be done today to recover my payment as you have not reply to my request.
Thanks

3/Hey man. I had a complete mental breakdown a few weeks ago, and have been recovering. Sorry this one slipped through the cracks. I can send it tomorrow and get you a tracking number. So sorry, I thought I was up to date on here.

• Like 1

I am chronically 'unwell' so I have some sympathy for those 'reasons'.

Here is my strangest reply so far after asking for postage costs for LPs to Oz from a Discogs seller.

"I tried to look that up on-line and the question is not easily answered. I see prices from $8-$70. The problem is that albums are square and none of the Post Office envelopes/boxes can handle them. Perhaps you could check on your side of the world? I'll see about UPS."

This seller has LPs listed for sale and can't work out how to pack them because "albums are square".........   ????

Not sure I should go any further with a purchase even if they do come through with a postage figure.  What would the grading be like ?  "They are round"........  ???

• Like 2

well I have just received my first batch bought of Discogs and, two different sellers, the one that had over 1000 feedback had a the Tracy Chapman album I've been chasing and stated it was mint, well it is and sounds superb. The other seller that is quite new I bought three LP's off. And they were stated as mint, I would put them as very good condition they have a little surface noise, nothing a good clean wouldn't fix anyway. Definitely happy so far, still waiting on one more album but thats brand new and still sealed. 

well I have just received my first batch bought of Discogs and, two different sellers, the one that had over 1000 feedback had a the Tracy Chapman album I've been chasing and stated it was mint, well it is and sounds superb. The other seller that is quite new I bought three LP's off. And they were stated as mint, I would put them as very good condition they have a little surface noise, nothing a good clean wouldn't fix anyway. Definitely happy so far, still waiting on one more album but thats brand new and still sealed.

As I said my only gripe with discogs has been peoples tendency to rate condition higher than they are, usually if you email them to "confirm" it's mint they rating changes. Besides that great place to buy especially rare stuff, as your Tracey chapman album u mentioned.

As I said my only gripe with discogs has been peoples tendency to rate condition higher than they are, usually if you email them to "confirm" it's mint they rating changes. Besides that great place to buy especially rare stuff, as your Tracey chapman album u mentioned.

I find it's no different on ebay with the rating issues, especially 'visual' gradings which imo are useless (at least if you want something that plays n/mint or better).  I now always contact the seller even if they say it 'plays mint'.  As you say they often respond telling you the problems and that they will adjust the grading.  I'll even offer to pay for their time to listen to the album if I buy it, a few extra dollars up front is better than the hassle & cost of returns to UK/US. 

I received a record I purchased from a seller in Germany who had 100% feedback, but it is definitely not NM (Near Mint). The sleeve is worn, and the record is dusty and has visible small scratches. I've contacted the seller, and see what he says.

I'll give it a clean tonight and hopefully it still plays well.

I've been waiting now for almost 3 weeks for my first Discogs purchase (from Germany) and starting to get itchy feet (an expensive record set at something of a bargain price - still over $100).  It was bought via PayPal so the money is of course recoverable as long as I claim within the 45 day limit.  But I'd rather have the goods than the money back.  I've received records from an eBay seller in the UK, which was bought well after this.  And the seller doesn't reply to messages which annoys the hell out of me.

I've been waiting now for almost 3 weeks for my first Discogs purchase (from Germany) and starting to get itchy feet (an expensive record set at something of a bargain price - still over $100).  It was bought via PayPal so the money is of course recoverable as long as I claim within the 45 day limit.  But I'd rather have the goods than the money back.  I've received records from an eBay seller in the UK, which was bought well after this.  And the seller doesn't reply to messages which annoys the hell out of me.

Put in a Paypal dispute A.S.A.P to at lease get the buyers attention.If it is on its way then no problem.He could be on holiday or any number of legit excuses..

Stump

German post can be one of the slowest around and it's not unusual to be waiting a month for something to arrive from there. I've bought a few records over the years and always expect a long wait, now and then a surprise turns up in less than a fortnight but not very often.

German post can be one of the slowest around and it's not unusual to be waiting a month for something to arrive from there. I've bought a few records over the years and always expect a long wait, now and then a surprise turns up in less than a fortnight but not very often.

My experience is completely different. I buy from Germany often on eBay - rarely wait much more than a week on standard post (often less)! About the cheapest in Europe and pretty fast.

• Like 1

My experience is completely different. I buy from Germany often on eBay - rarely wait much more than a week on standard post (often less)! About the cheapest in Europe and pretty fast.

Our experiences are the polar opposite indeed. In fact i often overlook purchases from Germany because of the slow postage.

At a tangent, special points for receiving a delivery from Italy: super high postage rates and 50/50 that you will ever see the goods at all!  A lot of people being asked to send to Italy are now requiring registered mail as a minimum level of postage because the postal service is so unreliable, or simply excluding Italy from accepted destinations.  I've had a small sub sent from Italy by a reputable dealer - it came UPS - they refuse to use the postal service at all for any deliveries international or domestic.

Cheers,

I find German post is OK.I did have a problem with x2 CDs I purchase from ebay from Germany.I got a paypal refund and gave the seller negative feedback.It turned up 3 months later.He used the cheapest option and  sent it by ship!!

Stump

Our experiences are the polar opposite indeed. In fact i often overlook purchases from Germany because of the slow postage.

I agree, ever since dhl took over Deutsche post the postal service sucks big time.

+1

Back on topic, I've just received a credit of US$105 via PayPal after requesting a refund - no records (at least so far) and zero communication from the seller despite numerous messages from me.

Would have preferred the records, but at least I got my money back.  Since I initiated my claim another buyer gave the seller negative feedback for the same thing.

Two records from the US currently in transit - if they are NM as stated then they are good value in spite of the high shipping cost.

Cheers

Warren

4 old dance records (12" singles) from Germany on the way. Posted 2 weeks ago.

Will arrive when they arrive.....

1st time ordering from Discogs - Seller was a great guy to deal with however and made eBay Sellers look positively hermit-like with his quick interactions and response to questions, so we'll see how it goes.

4 old dance records (12" singles) from Germany on the way. Posted 2 weeks ago.

Will arrive when they arrive.....

1st time ordering from Discogs - Seller was a great guy to deal with however and made eBay Sellers look positively hermit-like with his quick interactions and response to questions, so we'll see how it goes.

Look forward to hearing about the condition when they arrive q1 2014 :)

• Like 1