Have you ever purchased vinyl through Discogs ?

I've bought tons of stuff through using Discogs.

Generally as long as the seller has a good rating (over 95% in my book) you should be OK. Note that it's usually cheaper to buy from UK and USA as they have the best postage rates.

And unless you are buying 2 or more records at a time, its not usually cost effective because of the postage costs.

But you can pick up some great rare items using Discogs.

• Like 1

I have had about half a dozen transactions through discogs.

All but one transaction were excellent, with vinyl as described. The one bad buy I made was a record not as described by seller, but I got my money back, so all ended well.

• Like 1

I have used it extensivly, and have nothing but good things to say about it's system. I haven't had a bad experience (yet), and have forged some good relationships, which has allowed me to find some rare vinyl the sellers weren't listing ;) (one of which arrived this arvo!) 

Postage is as stated above, but I don't mind too much, everyone has added insurance for me.

• Like 1

I have been using  Discog.I just checked and have bought 96 records.Be aware POSTAGE can be more then the records.Canada will charge $30 for 1 record.When they charge postage by weight I always buy a couple extra to maximize the postage cost.I also generally stick with mint or near mint.Sealed warped records is a issue for the seller but have had refund in the past.I also prefer  a seller who is selling his or her own collection.Nothing like playing a sealed unplayed classic from  40 years ago. :cool:

Stump

• Like 2

I've tried twice and both times were bad experiences. I found vinyl that I'd be searching for for ages, made the purchase, sent the money, and then both times (both different sellers) said they were no longer available and they would have to refund. Not sure why they advertised when they weren't available. 

I'd like to try it again perhaps, but for now I've got no confidence!! 

Note that it's usually cheaper to buy from UK and USA as they have the best postage rates.

And unless you are buying 2 or more records at a time, its not usually cost effective because of the postage costs.

US postal charges have gone up massively in the last year (the 2nd time only a month or two ago).

For now I find that German and UK postage are best value.  Remarkable how much worse postage costs are in say Italy than Germany.

• Like 3

I've tried twice and both times were bad experiences. I found vinyl that I'd be searching for for ages, made the purchase, sent the money, and then both times (both different sellers) said they were no longer available and they would have to refund. Not sure why they advertised when they weren't available.

I'd like to try it again perhaps, but for now I've got no confidence!!

A lot of sellers own stores so sometimes the items listed on discogs get sold in the store and they don't delist them straight away. It's happened to me as well but each time I've been given an apology and my money back.

Wanna say a big thanks to all you for your responses. Been thinking about it the past two weeks if I should give it a shot or not. But it looks like I'll be going ahead and order some records.

I found it a bit hard recently finding some rare vinyls, discogs was the only place, so I thought I'd check with you peeps first :thumb:  

Thanks heaps guys!

• 3 weeks later...

US postal charges have gone up massively in the last year (the 2nd time only a month or two ago).

For now I find that German and UK postage are best value.  Remarkable how much worse postage costs are in say Italy than Germany.

I've also use Discogs extensively. I find the links to information such as track listing, artwork, alterative releases really useful. You can also add titles to your collection.

Now that the $A has dropped against the $US, I'm finding also the UK and German sellers best value, but also France, Netherlands are OK. As the others said, check the seller has a good rating and is upfront with postage rates. It's also a good idea to add the few € that they ask for tracking/insurance.

I have also used GEMM, as they have a money-back guarantee, but the interface is not as user friendly.

My worst experience recently was from Canada, where shipping took 3 months!

Geoff

Edited by Geoffcb

The best thing about discogs is that you can add records to your wantlist.  Then when you're searching the marketplace you can easily tell which sellers have the most of your wanted items so you can save on postage.

• Like 1

Guest Muon

I've also use Discogs extensively. I find the links to information such as track listing, artwork, alterative releases really useful. You can also add titles to your collection.

Now that the $A has dropped against the $US, I'm finding also the UK and German sellers best value, but also France, Netherlands are OK. As the others said, check the seller has a good rating and is upfront with postage rates. It's also a good idea to add the few € that they ask for tracking/insurance.

I have also used GEMM, as they have a money-back guarantee, but the interface is not as user friendly.

My worst experience recently was from Canada, where shipping took 3 months!

Geoff

Yeah, I was looking to get the Evanescence Anniversary LP, and it was only $16, but from anywhere in the USA it was going to be about $35 for shipping :huh:

Went through Gemm, and bought it for $20 with less than $10 shipping ex-Netherlands :)

The interface does kind of suck! I had to contact them to ask what to do next.....twice :unsure:

Have bought a few records through Discogs.  Mostly good.

If wanting to buy some exact release of an album it can be a good idea to confirm the details first in case the individual item is linked to the wrong release page.

my friend here in perth sells a lot on discogs,

he also sells on ebay but not as much now,he told me he has found a lot of ebay sellers also sell on discogs,

and you can buy from aussie sellers if you wish to use the filter,

as with all on line buying ,use due caution,

Edited by colinm1

What is friends Discogs username ?

Most Aussie sellers I've seen say to look at the AustPost website for postage rates.  Only useful if you know how much the things weigh !!

What is friends Discogs username ?

Most Aussie sellers I've seen say to look at the AustPost website for postage rates.  Only useful if you know how much the things weigh !!

I've never had that with discogs, I've always asked for a paypal invoice which shows both item cost but also shipping. they dont recommend you pay anyways unless you get a paypal request.

Only thing I've noticed with discogs is unless it's a new item I've found more people tend to use NM when really items are VG+- EX, I think part of the reason is discog don't have a rating EX although it doesn't stop people outlining it in description, not a big issue if you are buying cheaper album but pain in arse when buying an expensive first press!