Have you ever purchased vinyl through Discogs ?

Bought my first LP off a seller a month or so back and the Mint unopened LP arrived with the cover split and the seller was not interested in hearing that it was his woeful packaging because: "I've sold hundreds of records and I have no control over how they get handled once I post them."

It arrived in a single sheet of cardboard that had been bent around the record and taped. It rattled when i picked it up.

As in all things: Caveat emptor.

Yeah, 12 months of serious looking for this  pretty early 70's obscure band and all of a sudden an unopened copy surfaces...I was as happy as dog with a bone. Asked the seller to take great care with the packaging to which he replied that of course he would.

Not much else you can do is there but ask and then wait, hoping it arrives safely.

Most of mine have arrived with the vinyl separated from the sleeve, so happy with the packing standard.

Yeah, 12 months of serious looking for this pretty early 70's obscure band and all of a sudden an unopened copy surfaces...I was as happy as dog with a bone. Asked the seller to take great care with the packaging to which he replied that of course he would.

Not much else you can do is there but ask and then wait, hoping it arrives safely.

Luc, interested to know whether the seller had good feedback ? So far I've only bought from sellers with high transaction numbers and positive feedback. Of course you may not have this choice if it's an obscure title. Edited by Goatboy

Yeah he had 97 or 98 I think. I could check, but it was pretty high and that's why I was really surprised at the packaging.

Dude,just be careful and expect to get burnt at least a couple of times.I've bought a lot from DISCOGS.

Things you must do: Ask for photo's!!! Get photo's also of the matrix numbers and check them.And give honest feedback,and READ the details & make sure your buying what you think your buying.Just because a seller has posted a title in a certain place,does not always mean that is what it is.(or what they think it is)(re matrix numbers,reissues,issue  etc)

There are tons of scammers on there now,and DISCOGS knows all about them but will do nothing,because they make money from them.Just go to the discussion pages.

If your spending over US$200(per LP) like i used to do,be very careful.When i was a newb i got burnt a lot.But i know all the scams now and now know what I'm doing.

From what i can tell,if your buying $10-$20 LP's,you wont have a problem,but when you start to spend  over $100(per LP),the scams go super nova!

Edited by masliko
  • Like 1

+1

Also remember that Germany is the China of fake press's and of vinyl in general!

They will also not say they are pressed in Germany(as all good fakes cover their tracks).Make sure you do your research.

Edited by masliko

• 3 months later...

So I ordered 5 LPs from the UK in May but the seller undercharged me for postage and only realised at the post office that the rates had gone up, but before he told me and give me chance to give him more money, he went ahead and claimed to have sent them by snail mail. He reckons he has done it before and it takes 4-6 weeks, yet it has been 8 weeks and I've seen nothing. He does seem genuine though through his messages. Has anybody encountered this before? What's the longest someone has seen something come from the UK before?

5 months for an envelope contain rubber stops for an LP12 lid. Genuine seller...took ages.

Patience needs as the saying goes.

So I ordered 5 LPs from the UK in May but the seller undercharged me for postage and only realised at the post office that the rates had gone up, but before he told me and give me chance to give him more money, he went ahead and claimed to have sent them by snail mail. He reckons he has done it before and it takes 4-6 weeks, yet it has been 8 weeks and I've seen nothing. He does seem genuine though through his messages. Has anybody encountered this before? What's the longest someone has seen something come from the UK before?

Just be aware that Paypal buyer protection only lets you claim up to 60 days (I think) from purchase. So if you're at all concerned, make sure you make a claim before this period expires, otherwise you're at risk. 

Just be aware that Paypal buyer protection only lets you claim up to 60 days (I think) from purchase. So if you're at all concerned, make sure you make a claim before this period expires, otherwise you're at risk. 

less than 45 days :)

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ1431&topicID=DISPUTE_AND_CLAIM_INFORMATION&m=TCI

You can open a dispute if the following conditions are met:

• You never received your item, or if the item is significantly not as described, and
  • It has been less than 45 days since the payment was made.

Before you open a dispute, we recommend you contact the seller directly and try to resolve the issue. This is often faster and less contentious than filing a dispute.

Discogs---Flaky Pastry-- Not recommended for reliable transactions--its maybe the myriad of small sellers they rep--

I bought an LP from Germany + Air--2/3/4 weeks nix--I contacted the seller=

Sorry It was sold!-- 

I'll pass on DC--plenty of really honest reliable Vinyl sellers out there now

Willco

No LP shipped anywhere in the world will be longer than 30 DAYS PayPal gives upto 45 to dispute.

Re late shipping: This issue arises where the seller actually tells you he has sent but hasnt at all,or hasnt dont it yet or knows that the item is not as described and the seller wants to get passed the 45 days mark for you to put in a dispute.This one happens alot on discogs.Then as far as feedback goes they will ask you to send the item back(which isnt worth it,so you wont), then they'll offer a small percentage refund(bribe for feedback).%99 of people take it.Scam complete! They do this on a massive scale.

I have shopped on discogs for years,and have been burnt by every type of scam,they have invented.This best scams are the ones that are very plausible and could be "just a mistake"-its called "vinyl phishing"-its basically a game of chance.I think i've mentioned it before.Just because someone has %99.5 FB,does NOT mean you wont get burnt,if a seller has sold over 5000 LP's.they might have 100 NEG!

Sometimes the sellers indicte they have shipped the item(on the discogs dashboard) but  are just lazy and ship the item two weeks after you have paid(which is not on)and will make every excuse at why it could be late.

All i can say,there is good ones there-find them in the genre you into and stick with them.If you go jumping from seller to seller you'll get burnt.And never buy from Italy,unless your very sure of what you're doing.Because Italy has the hihest rate of postal theft in the world and they know what to look for and part of the scam from the beginning(so i've been told)

A few more things-YOU WILL NEVER GET HELP FROM DISCOGS.They know what goes on and do not care-more sellers equals more cash for them.

The higher the value the item(s),the more scams there are and the more sophisticated the scams become.

I'm not saying dont buy there,just be careful if spending alot fo cash.I have even been burnt after being sent photo's(they just sent another item,not the one in the photo)

Soory for my rant,but DISCOGS has cost me alot of moooolllllahhh!

Edited by masliko
  • Like 1

The other funny things thats make me laugh and this is not just on discogs,is the use of "PROMO" for a "cut corner" or a "hole punch" which is utter BS!

These LP's are unsold or damaged stock that is sent back to the distributer or the distributer has given a credit to the store, for  the items can be sold at a  bargin price(bargin bins)...makes me laugh everytime.

The whole punch or cut corner is to ensure the store doesnt resell at full price.

Edited by masliko
  • Like 1

I wouldn't use discogs myself - lots of scams and pricing is vastly over inflated in many cases.  Poor grading, and most sellers have poor communication skills from what others have told me.  I'll pass  ;-)

Don't always believe what you hear. And as for pricing, I disagree there too. I have found countless albums on vinyl cheaper on discogs than any other s/h seller. 

I have only had  2 ordinary transactions through discogs, and one was a Singaporean based seller who had just started to sell on the site. He had poorly packaged an LP and it arrived with a bent cover.

The other was a seller who sold me a bootleg PJ Harvey album.He refunded me, claimed ignorance in regards to it being a bootleg.

Besides that, all transactions were great. Sellers have feedback just like ebay, it helps if one takes note.  ;)

I'll continue to use the site if I come across something I want.

Rant alert:

I only shop for mint or near mint records.  Goldmine grading standard follows

Vinyl

A nearly perfect record. Many dealers won't give a grade higher than this implying (perhaps correctly) that no record is ever truly perfect. The record should show no obvious signs of wear.

I find it difficult to buy 2nd hand unless I can look at the vinyl in person.   I had bad experiences 20 odd years ago and again indifferent experiences in the past 3 months on discogs when I bought some UK pressings of a couple of my fav artists.

Every LP I bought was not and had never been in a plastic inner sleeve - FKCK - is it that hard to put your beloved lp into a plastic inner sleeve and never have an issue with surface scratches from the paper/cardboard sleeves EVER again.

I had one guy ( deadboy1977 ) that claimed to be a John Foxx lp collector and all his collection had been played once or twice only. Metamatic and the Golden section when I received looked like he had taken to cleaning the LP with sandpaper, it was so bad. After 3 runs through the RCM it sounded like rice bubbles.  to the rubbish bin as I could never sell anything like that to someone else.  One album had the wrong LP inside.  His only comment was " Well everyone's rating is different and I have never really had any complaints as you can see from my feedback "  He had a couple complaints about the grading of his vinyl and I can see why. if any of his lp's.

I did get some excellent UK pressings, however only 3 out of 15 of them I would truly call Near Mint.   btw, I have not found discogs to be a scam - every seller  have delt with was legit.

Perhaps I am judging sellers too harshly, as I am comparing them to how I look after lp's.    I am out of the buying used vinyl unless it is absolutely necessary.

Frankly the conclusion I have come to is 99% of all record buyers are clueless on how to look after lp's and 90% of sellers are clueless on what Near Mint actually means.

Edited by metal beat

Don't always believe what you hear. And as for pricing, I disagree there too. I have found countless albums on vinyl cheaper on discogs than any other s/h seller. 

I have only had  2 ordinary transactions through discogs, and one was a Singaporean based seller who had just started to sell on the site. He had poorly packaged an LP and it arrived with a bent cover.

The other was a seller who sold me a bootleg PJ Harvey album.He refunded me, claimed ignorance in regards to it being a bootleg.

Besides that, all transactions were great. Sellers have feedback just like ebay, it helps if one takes note.  ;)

I'll continue to use the site if I come across something I want.

Mate,that's a silly thing to say "don't always believe what you hear",are you saying we are lying?we are saying watch yourself.And these other members are sharing their experiences,& who are you to tell another member that some other members are lying?you also imply that someone doesn't  take note of the sellers FB,.....don't insult my intelligence.....it helps if people sometimes keep their mouth shut ;)

==Ill take it that you didn't mean to say that, are what you are actually saying is that your experiences on discogs have been good.

If your into $20 LP's and certain genres like pop,country and western,classical and other genres-no you wont have any problems,i imagine.

Go buy a few $500 Black Sabbath press's and see how you go?

I still use discogs.But I'm careful when spending over $70.....

I'm interested to know what genres you buy ?

Edited by masliko

What genre's are you into and how much do you spend?because that matters ALOT.

It's not a silly thing to say at all. I responded to a poster who made a comment about hearing about poor comms on the site. My experience is completely different, so I made my comment. OK?

I have purchased jazz, rock, alternate from discogs.

Not a huge user of the site, because I source my s/h vinyl from wherever I can find it.

Discogs is no worse than any other site I use.

Tell me....what matters a lot?

And no.....I would never spend $500 on a piece of vinyl.If I was to spend that sort of coin on a record you could bet your left nut that I would be very selective about who I purchased from.

I feel that I"m having to defend myself here for having good experiences on discogs ffs.

Edited by soundfan

I have purchased jazz, rock, alternate from discogs.

Not a huge user of the site, because I source my s/h vinyl from wherever I can find it.

Discogs is no worse than any other site I use.

Tell me....what matters a lot?

Well,you've been lucky then if discogs has worked for you.Its worked for me to BUT with alot of f#$king around.I "personally have had far less problems on eBay.But have found more obscure items i was after and at better prices on DISCOGS,till about a year or two ago.

Answer to your question :

It matters what you spend and what genre because the scammers don't put any effort into scamming someone out of $40 do they?.And certain genre's are more expensive than others,hence the scams.

PS.The statement i made about some genres being more expensive than others is true, BUT is not so much anymore,and is disappearing fast.Someone actually bought a Kylie Minogue 7" for six hundred pounds!  Especially since the neo collector rush started around 2012.

Edited by masliko

I feel that I"m having to defend myself here for having good experiences on discogs ffs.

Yes thats a bit of an odd place to find yourself.

I too have had nothing but excellent experiences with Discogs with purchases probably as much as $150 at a time. Use it all the time and just like eBay etc I use it with caution and my eyes wide open.

I have bought a fair bit of vinyl from Discogs over the years without any problems, both when we lived in Melbourne and now that we are in the UK. I have had hassle with eBay sellers (mint vinyl in description, knackered in actuality) but as I use PayPal I simply insisted on a refund and returned the record to the seller.

Have to agree with metal beat on this one. Sellers descriptions on Discogs can be ....shall we say...generous? I have sourced 98% of my secondhand vinyl from there. Mostly UK sellers, all with good feedback, and I'm only interested in near mint or mint, so I'm prepared to pay for that. Most of the vinyl has been acceptable (after a good cleaning session!), although the same cannot be said for the covers. The packaging is very hit and miss. Some sellers really try to protect the records from the tender ministrations of various postal services and some DNGAF. My wife "cut" her first record because someone skimped on the cardboard packaging on one LP :o !

Living where I do, I have little choice when it comes to secondhand records, so online I go. Over all my experience with Discogs has been good enough to keep me going back. Only one odd experience of an LP not arriving, but seller replaced it at no cost to me so it worked out in the end (after 4 months!). The cynic in me thinks it could have been a postal insurance scam: I pay $80 for LP. Seller says "it's posted". I say "it hasn't turned up". Seller says "I will claim insurance from post office ($40) and send another one". LP duly arrives and everyone is happy. And just possibly the seller has made a tidy profit. Communication was good and I wasn't ripped off, as I did get what I paid for, just not completely sure everything was above board <_<

As others have said, you have to do your homework and know what you are buying and always use Paypal.

• Like 1