Most powerful 5.1 under 5k?

Hi, I require the most powerful 5.1 receiver possible for under a budget of 5k (prefer to go second hand).

I was looking at the Nad M25, but not sure if it is powerful enough.

Also can you even get  high end 5.1 amps anymore? They all seem to be 7.1 which I totally dont want.

I am building a new beach house, and I would prefer if at all possible to just have one amp that can do 5.1 ok and also sounds decent for 2 channel music.

If this is not possible for my budget, i will prob just get some 1k garbage 5.1 from JB Hifi and also run something like a Nad m3 with a switch for the front speakers for music.

I have only really looked at nad, cos havnt had much time yet, but are there any other more powerful 5.1 receivers worth checking out that would do music and movies ok? I know its like trying to buy a car that is an epic rock crawler and also a great track car, but just havnt been in the market for some time so maybe there has been some revolution in amp design in the last few years :P

Thanks.

My suggestion would be to use separates...a NAD T175 Pre latest model has the upgradable boards meaning it can remain current for some considerable. I team mine with a Butler valve/mosfet hybrid & that is a bloody good amp in its own right.

Works REALLY well and am very happy with the sound...Rob

Here's some five channel power for you: http://www.getprice.com.au/Rotel-RMB1575-Amplifier.htm#more-details

I'd also look at Marantz and Emotiva (if you don't mind shipping from the USA).

Go Emotiva, start with this beast http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpr5 and add a pre/pro, should be able to get a good one and have change from 5k.

A Multi channel amp that's excellent with 2ch and won't break a sweat the look at a Elektra theatre hd brand new $3.2k on special with mid year sales. If want cheaper and second hand can get an early gen 6ch one for $1k opening price appear to be 2 on eBay at present.

Partner with a marantz or Rotel or other pre and will keep on budget.

If want an all in one solution. Nad, Cambridge, Rotel or arcam all have superb Avrs on and within budget with top quality amp stages :)

I'm not sure if the DTVforums group price is still available, the Marantz AV8801 was quite decently priced and there's usually a combo price with the matching multichannel power amp as well. If you can get a good standalone price on the 8801, I think the Emotiva XPA-5 is a good match.

I find the Marantz is a good step up over using AVRs as preamps. I find much clearer channel steering than when I was using the Denon 4810 which itself was already a high mid end receiver, only below the A1 range.

But "power" rating is IMHO misleading. You can get a proper 80W per channel external amp that would effortless drive difficult speakers vs an AVR with a 140W rating.

Edited by DoggieHowser

Wow! Thanks heaps for the repplies, very helpful, it looks like I may not need to spend as much as I initially thought. The reason why I am looking at such a high budget, is because I have a huge room that this is to go in, and I would like to get some large 3 way floor standers, and I know wattage is pretty much nonsense, but based on what my previous amps have been rated at, I figure I'd need about 200wrms per channel to properly power some fat floorstanders, and be able to drive them loud with minimal distortion.

From the links that you guys have provided, I cant believe how many options there are. I was thinking I'd have to go for some crappy 3k top of the chinese line Pioneer or denon pimped out entry levels, but damn it looks like there is lots of choice and configurations in this price range.

That Emotiva 5x400 looks like it might be a go'er. That looks to be exactly what I need. When pairing that to a source unit, what are my options with quality non-amplified source untis? Oh also, I imagine the Emotiva is made in China for that price?

Edited by e32lover

lots of choice e32. with a large room dont forget the sub. no2 most important speaker after a centre speaker. and in a ht setup will take a lot of load off your amp and speakers :)

Go Emotiva, start with this beast http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpr5 and add a pre/pro, should be able to get a good one and have change from 5k.

Hi

My thoughts also, great bang for bucks @ around $2200 delivered or the 200 watts / channel at around a$1000 delivered, with the Preamp on special at the moment for around $750 delivered....

JJ

Edited by Janjuc

yeah the Emo 5x400w would be EPIC. I think i'll be grabbing one next month after tax.

Don't get a do-it-all mothership receiver, it's not gonna cut it (like my Pioneer lx-85 that I

skip the amp section and use as a pre)

dont get too carried away with power. keep in mind a 200w power amp will get you over 109db easily with your typical 89db sensitivity speakers. and going to a 400w amps will only get you another 3 db on top of that.

also re do it all mothership receivers some have pretty hefty power reserves. and I aint talking about some over specd pioneer avr. the cambridge, nad, rotel, arcam and the like I've quoted will actually shame a lot of so called power amps in power stages. mainly because these avrs are actually serious power houses with soem huge power supplies within. real power on tap, and you'll find theyre from makers whom actually tend to be fairly conservative in their ratings and output claims. ie they quote an output with some headroom...ie not with the amp flat chat with nothing in reserve to handle the kind of massive dynamic swings you get in movies and the like.

also as suggested in the post above. DO NOT forget the sub / subs. these will take massive demand off your power amp. with the load of the deep bass power sapping watts taken off your power amp and sent to be taken care by the sub instead. all the more reason you dont need big behemoth power amps :)

rather than just going for output and looking at power claims I think more important to match carefully an amp that goes well with your speakers. and if demoing you'll soon know how well they'll handle them for load too and if you indeed need more power.

ps simple calculator here,

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

but yeah it will be fooled if your plugging in bs power output claims you often get from some amp makers.

• Volunteer

Al, when you say that a sub will take a load off the amp, presumably this only happens if there is some sort of crossover between the amp and the speakers?

If the amp is connected to the speakers and a line level signal goes to the sub (with no crossover in between) then no load is being taken off the amp

Sorry if I've missed something, I don't have a sub so I may be talking though my hat

Whatmore the op is planning to utilize in a 5.1 configuration which indicates use of a sub and for ht use. All Avrs and processors you use have a cross over facility which will split load between mains and sub. Thx recommendation is setting cross over at 80hz :)

If you do get a sub then yes just matter off re running the eq facility on your amp which will take care of bass management and as per audyssey requirement run all speakers as a small settings and engage cross overs at 80hz or higher if audyssey stipulates :)

If not running audyssey then setup upto yourself And matter of engaging crossovers depending on capability if your speakers :)

If you are open to bi-amplification to get your power....

I have a Marantz MM8003 power amplifier.      8 channels of 140w (?).

It is good, although noise floor is not SOTA  (circa -90dB).    Balanced and unbalanced inputs.  No bridging.

The RRP is quite scary, but should be available for reasonable money.     I got mine for less than $2k second hand (basically new).

Then you would buy a separate processor/pre-amplifier.....   Lots of good ones available with your remaining budget.

OP.  What speakers do you have?

400 watts is an excessive amount of power for "normal" speakers/rooms/levels    (not that that is a problem of course).

The ability to drive difficult speakers (not necessarily related to power output) might be a better thing to look for.    All depends on your speaker, and your requirements.

Cheers.

Basically I am more interested in the 2 chanel music aspect of it, but a certain person demands 5.1 so it has to be 5.1 Anyway I thought it would be great to get the amp and source unit first, and just get something way overkill as this needs to go in ASAP, then I will have a bit of time to audition speakers, and I wont be restricted in my choice due to amp power output. I havnt thought too much about mains yet except that I would like some large 3 way floorstanders, prob around the 4k mark i think would get me something sufficient. With the rest of the system (subs, surrounds, centre) I will just use the complete garbage I have now, and upgrade that later when the finances recover. Like I said I am primarily focussed on having an epic 2 ch system at the moment, with a view to a really top end 5.1 system eventually.

Emotiva will be purchased.