Sydney Audio Club Meeting - Sunday 16-Jun-2013 - Usher, Westan, Classe CP-800 preamp/DAC

O.Sydney

The June 2013 meeting of the Sydney Audio Club sees us once again at Dence Park for an afternoon of fine music and sound and convivial company.

Each month, the Sydney Audio Club presents the finest in high end audio systems for our members and guests.  It's a bit like a private audio show once a month where you can hear and discuss equipment that you might not otherwise have the chance to audition.  And you can bring along your own music to test the capabilities of the system or to just share with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

This month we will feature Usher equipment kindly supplied by Ethan Lim of the distributor Westan (refer to http://www.westan.com.au/) and Matt Walker of The Cable Connection in Carlton (refer to http://www.thecableconnection.com.au/).

Our main speakers will be the Usher Mini Dancer 2.  The Dancer 2 is a 2-way system with a 1.25" diamond DMD dome tweeter, and two mid-low woofers in a MTM configuration.  They are fairly sensitivity at 90 dB @ 1 watt/1m, with a frequency response of 28 Hz ~ 40 kHz.

We hope to also have the Usher Mini X (book shelf speakers) should they get back in time from a review.  The Mini X also has the diamond DMD tweeter, and can reproduce music with lucidity and accuracy.  The warmth of a performance is portrayed accurately, neither embellishing nor becoming over-analytical while maintaining a wide, holographic soundstage.

Amplification will be the Usher R1.5 power amplifier.  The R-1.5 amplifier is designed to drive any loudspeaker, producing warm, "tube like" sound quality.  It has been constructed with premium parts, including metal film resistors and film capacitors, reinforcing Usher's reputation for high-quality manufacturing.  It delivers 150wpc into 8 Ohm speakers (260wpc into 4 Ohms). 

Also on hand will be the Usher DV9 processor.  We will also have a Classe CP-800 preamp/DAC.  The CP-800 introduces a new architecture for high-end preamplifiers.  Capitalizing on the potential for computer-based audio and employing powerful processing tools, the CP-800 offers compelling performance, features and value.

Speaker cables will be the Usher Rapport speaker cables.  Interconnects will be Nordost Frey and Synergistic Research, power cords Analysis Oval Plus. 

Front-ends will be the new Oppo BDP-105 and the club owned Sugden Connoisseur BD-1 turntable with a Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge.  Yes, it’s a humble turntable, but it pleasantly surprises all with its musicality.  The phono stage will be the NAD PP 2i that was very favourably reviewed in the current issue of the Australian HiFi. 

And for the vinyl lovers, Stephen Price of Tube Sound Audio will briefly present the ReVirginizer record cleaning system.

The second half of the music sessions will be our popular BYO.   Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.   So bring along your favourite music on CD, SACD, flash drive or vinyl.   All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting.  We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played.  Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go.

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others of a similar mind.

Members and guests welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.  We will welcome you at the door.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre
Address:  26 Stanley St, Epping

When:  Sunday 16th June

Doors open 1pm
Meeting starts at 2pm

Best regards,

Tom Waters

President

Sydney Audio Club

www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au

tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au

On behalf of Tom and the Sydney Audio club Inc.
O.Sydney

Sounds like a great meeting.

The Usher 1.5 is a great sounding amp and capable of driving very difficult loads.

People could very easily get the wrong impression of it though.It deserves a really good [valve] preamp and cables with a smooth treble.If these are not quite right you can get a bit of a sizzle to the treble.

The Usher preamp is great for the money but I think the power amps are deserving of something much more high-end to bring out their best.

• Like 3

I'll be eagerly waiting for some feedback on this event. I have a pair of these speakers and have tried them with various amps including the big Usher r1.5. The Usher amp and speakers make a very nice combo. I used a Doge 8 pre which by all accounts is a pretty neutral sounding pre albeit it uses valves.

My speakers came from Matt at Cable Connection who was more than willing to help me in any way he could.

• Like 2

I'll be eagerly waiting for some feedback on this event. I have a pair of these speakers and have tried them with various amps including the big Usher r1.5. The Usher amp and speakers make a very nice combo. I used a Doge 8 pre which by all accounts is a pretty neutral sounding pre albeit it uses valves.

My speakers came from Matt at Cable Connection who was more than willing to help me in any way he could.

The Doge 8 is OK but you can do a lot better-the Mystere works well and Suprateks really liven things up.Listening to that combination at the moment.

There is something very EL34 sounding about the Usher 1.5 I reckon-including the slightly clangy treble.Not for everyone perhaps but I really like how it adds to a bit of vibrancy to the sound.I would much rather have that than the boringly smooth  and lifeless sound of something like First Watt F5.

• 9 months later...