the problem with Emotiva is that there seams to be a complete lack of direct comparisons of Emotiva amps to reputable name brands. If Emotiva stuff is that good - why can I not google any respectable reviews that are direct comparisons to high end manufacturers?

No the problem is you can't find any reputable brands with the same specs and performance at this price point. I think it does reviewers and audiophiles head in when they look at Emotiva because it is so cheap. They sell direct so dealers don't have any interest in them.

Ok so I own an XPA-200 but I am not a fanboy. On special now at $429 plus say $150 freight so sub $600 for a brand new 150w power amp with balanced and un balanced connections and 12v trigger. Unfortunately due to their model, you end up paying a big part of the price in freight which may be difficult for you to justify.

I am sure it is not the best power amp out there but I am not sure what is better for the price. A used entry level Rotel? Doogie had to buy class D to get close in price and power. I have also been contemplating class D as my next upgrade for the same reason.

There are a few fairly honest threads on Emotiva on this forum that should guide you one way or another. 

• Like 1

the problem with Emotiva is that there seams to be a complete lack of direct comparisons of Emotiva amps to reputable name brands. If Emotiva stuff is that good - why can I not google any respectable reviews that are direct comparisons to high end manufacturers?

audible you wont find any reviews with direct comparisons. one reputable reviewer on what is a quite well known hifi and av print magazine explained why this is the case. quite simply reviewers in the us are provided goods for review. if they do a shootout or comparison one or the other has to come off second best. its not a win win not what those providing their goods for review want. those providing the goods are also usually those whom advertise their wares. you dont want advertising pulled.....hence no direct comparisons....and win win reviews. note this is particularly the case with the us. where you will also find fan boy forums with glowing online reviews...no guesses why theyre there.

this raises an important point though. for me the best way to get a feel for something and come to my own conclusions is in person. how do you do that with emotiva gear ? you can't walk in a retailer to demo you cant borrow from a retialer to take home to check out as you would with a local retailer and locally sold goods. for many this is of no concern they are quite happily buying blind for others this is just another impediment which will either be a point of hesistance to part with hard earned or in some cases reason to bypass the gear completely. again its just some choices people make and things people weigh up in deciding on their purchases :)

after a lot of reviews im looking at the xpa-2.  there are lots of people around who have bought them and love them.  as for the issues that some units seem to have ive only found a few people that have had any issues getting replacement parts and found quite a few that have had the repairs paid for by emotiva.

the big question now is will the aussie dollar recover against the us... or fall further

• Like 1

the big question now is will the aussie dollar recover against the us... or fall further

There is zero hope of the Oz dollar improving against the Greenback. Most predictions are for 90 cents by year's end and around 80-84 in 12 months time. The AUD is now in a bear market and we won't see anything like parity again for a very long time or unless the US economy goes very pear shaped and Ben starts printing again.

If you ever intend to buy, do it ASAP

• Volunteer
There is zero hope of the Oz dollar improving against the Greenback. Most predictions are for 90 cents by year's end and around 80-84 in 12 months time. The AUD is now in a bear market and we won't see anything like parity again for a very long time or unless the US economy goes very pear shaped and Ben starts printing again.

The same people who were predicting 1.1000 a few weeks ago?

I usually stew, debate and procrastinate over (for me) expensive purchases, and a lot of not so expensive ones too, and the decision to buy two of the Emotiva XPA5s sight unseen was a tough one for me but, 9 months on, I am not disappointed in my choice. I guess, as with most electronics, there's a bit of the luck of the draw when it comes to faults and needing warranty backup. I haven't needed it with most things I have bought so far, including the Emo amps which is fortunate. I guess if you are willing to take that chance, then do it. There is no doubt in my mind that their products are extremely good value for money and do punch well above their weight at those prices.

The same people who were predicting 1.1000 a few weeks ago?

Not sure who they were but nobody I have spoken to was saying that in May. The writing has been on the wall for a while and especially since Ben started to wind back QE.

Smart words, I'd heed them.

No the problem is you can't find any reputable brands with the same specs and performance at this price point. I think it does reviewers and audiophiles head in when they look at Emotiva because it is so cheap. They sell direct so dealers don't have any interest in them.

Ok so I own an XPA-200 but I am not a fanboy. On special now at $429 plus say $150 freight so sub $600 for a brand new 150w power amp with balanced and un balanced connections and 12v trigger. Unfortunately due to their model, you end up paying a big part of the price in freight which may be difficult for you to justify.

I am sure it is not the best power amp out there but I am not sure what is better for the price. A used entry level Rotel? Doogie had to buy class D to get close in price and power. I have also been contemplating class D as my next upgrade for the same reason.

There are a few fairly honest threads on Emotiva on this forum that should guide you one way or another. 

The XPA200 is not true balanced though. The XPA-100, XPA-1L and XPA-1s are.

Hmmm.. it does say dual differential in the spec list on the right but not on features list (where it does specifically say so on the XPA1/100/1Ls). Wonder where the typo is.

The manual also makes no reference to the true balanced design.

Edited by DoggieHowser

• Volunteer
Not sure who they were but nobody I have spoken to was saying that in May. The writing has been on the wall for a while and especially since Ben started to wind back QE.

I'm not sure that QE is beiung wound back. There is talk about when it might happen but it hasn't happened yet.

As for currency forecasts, all the Aussie banks were calling the currency higher until it broke lower. It broke lower in early May

The XPA200 is not true balanced though. The XPA-100, XPA-1L and XPA-1s are.

Hmmm.. it does say dual differential in the spec list on the right but not on features list (where it does specifically say so on the XPA1/100/1Ls). Wonder where the typo is.

The manual also makes no reference to the true balanced design.

You are right it can be confusing. They probably have too many amp choices.

I just like using the XLR cables as they seem like more secure connections than RCA. It is also handy to have a second set of inputs if you have another source.

I am not sure about the technical differences between the "fully balanced" mono blocks vs the "fully discrete" stereo power amps or whether I would hear a difference or if the difference is actually due to two separate power supplies and the extra headroom. There you go, clear as mud.

For Emotiva's XPA range power amps, I believe only the XPA1/1L/100s are fully balanced in that the signals do not get converted to single ended before amplification. It does account for a bigger premium for the monoblocks vs say even the 5 channel variants. 

I think the UPA-1s are also single ended internally.

For Emotiva's XPA range power amps, I believe only the XPA1/1L/100s are fully balanced in that the signals do not get converted to single ended before amplification. It does account for a bigger premium for the monoblocks vs say even the 5 channel variants. 

I think the UPA-1s are also single ended internally.

So how would that affect the sound?  say the difference between getting 2 xpa 100's or 1 xpa-2 (which are my current choices).  I'm a bit new to balanced inputs vs rca (im hoping thats what this is about or im going to look like a complete tool)

Some people claim balanced architectures don't have an effect for short runs but I haven't found that to be the case. 

I find that there's better noise rejection which seems to help in stereo separation. I'd get the XPA-1Ls to be honest. I think the ability to run in Class A mode is well worth the penny. 

Yeah I do love the 1Ls but I'd have to run thrm through my yamaha surround 773 receiver.  I couldn't afford 2x 1L's and a pre at the same time.

the XPA-2 runs in class A until 10w (or so) like the XPA-1 yeah?

Guest Crystara

Hi everyone.  I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Emotiva range?

I'm looking at 2x XPA 100, XPA-2 or possibly the XPA-5 (depending on the stereo quality compared with the stereo and mono's).

Also I'm looking at the XDA-2, USP-1 or UMC-200 (if i went with the XPA-5) to drive them.

The biggest deciding factor for me is sound quality for stereo.  Surround sound in the same unit would be handy for the future but stereo is my focus for now.

For now it will be powering a pair of KEF LS50's and a pair or AXIS HTLS (floorstanders) but in the near future will be upgrading to something that can take advantage of the extra power.

Also if there are any other suggestions around the same price range that would be great too.

Thanks

Hi I own and XPA-2 and XPA-5, the 5 is my home cinema power amp, it's very comfortable to live with, it's powering JBL's and a Martin Logan Centre, couldn't be happier, The XPA-2 powers my Martin Logan Electromotions no complaints there either, both amps are 3 years old and touch wood trouble free, as for after sales service from overseas, the UMC-1 I brought from Emotiva had trouble from the getgo, I rang them directly and spoke to Dans wife (The Owner of the Company) Cathy Laufman and she organized a replacement asap, when I asked her how would she like me to send the first UMC-1 back to her she told me you got yourself a nice paper weight, now thats bloody customer service, something that we have lost in this country, in saying that I did buy my ML's from Tivoli and Geoff is a top bloke and did give me a deal I could live with, I have been so happy with Emotiva that I also brought the USP-1 pre for my two channel set up, call me a fanboy or whatever but the product must fit into your lifestyle and budget, I will keep supporting this company until I either find something of similar price and sound with the same after sales service, I don't know lots about audiophile, I am an Audio enthusiast and since my first Creek amp and my Planner Turntable, I do know what sounds good to me and these products all sound pretty **** hot,

I hope you enjoy whatever you buy and it services you well

Hi everyone.  I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Emotiva range?

I'm looking at 2x XPA 100, XPA-2 or possibly the XPA-5 (depending on the stereo quality compared with the stereo and mono's).

Also I'm looking at the XDA-2, USP-1 or UMC-200 (if i went with the XPA-5) to drive them.

The biggest deciding factor for me is sound quality for stereo.  Surround sound in the same unit would be handy for the future but stereo is my focus for now.

For now it will be powering a pair of KEF LS50's and a pair or AXIS HTLS (floorstanders) but in the near future will be upgrading to something that can take advantage of the extra power.

Also if there are any other suggestions around the same price range that would be great too.

Thanks

Hi Mash,

I've had an XPA-2 for 4 months now. Yes it's as they say "big bang for buck". Plenty of headroom, lot's of depth, effortless sound. Only slightly bested by a very good Power Amp in a bit of air around instruments, and soundstaging. Does sound slightly forward.  A bargain in a big heavy plain box.

I believe it would see off many similarly rated Amps costing much more. Get one while the sales on.

Thanks all.  My mind is made up and I'm getting the xpa2.  The 1L's look great with the 35w of class A but I just can't fork out the extra without first selling a bit of gear.

Going to get a final quote and order.

• Like 1

Good luck with your purchase Mash. A few months back I purchased an XPA-3 to drive VAF DC-X35's - very happy. Could it be improved? Probably, but at what cost? On my budget, I don't believe I could have done better than the VAF 30% off sale back in January and the Emotiva holiday sale around the same time. Grabbed both for around $3000 delivered and to me it represents absolutely fantastic sound for the dollars. My ears aren't the best in all likelihood, however its like anything - I can't afford a Ferrari which would be no doubt better in many respects than my current car - but for my driving/hearing, I'm very happy with what I have.

My ears aren't the best in all likelihood, however its like anything - I can't afford a Ferrari which would be no doubt better in many respects than my current car - but for my driving/hearing, I'm very happy with what I have.

And thtis what it is all about. What sounds good to yuor own ears. That doesnt necessarily mean the most expensive amp sounds the best! Congrats on your purchase. I can almost guarantee you will not be disappointed with your new amp!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all.  My mind is made up and I'm getting the xpa2.  The 1L's look great with the 35w of class A but I just can't fork out the extra without first selling a bit of gear.

Going to get a final quote and order.

Have you got your XPA2 yet? If so, impressions?