Rob181's Fantastic ML2 Limited's

bhobba

Bill is unusual in my experience in being able to appreciate different kinds of amplifier sound - for most people, you either like tubes or solid state, low power or high power, single-ended or push-pull etc. For me personally, I can't see myself ever using anything other than Nelson Pass's single-ended solid state designs (such as my Aleph 3 or his current First Watt amps), as I feel they combine the ideal balance of the traditional virtues of tubes and solid state, without the disadvantages. But they are low power - they can't drive difficult loads, and will never have the sort of bass control and impact high powered solid state has. But high powered amps do nothing for me through the rest of the frequency range - it's as if the damping that's so beneficial at the bass end strangles the midrange. At least that's the way I hear it anyway.

I think people who come to the amp GTG, where we will have some very transparent speakers in the form of my Limited's, will have an interesting experience that will put such views to the test.

But if somebody else were able to do a more accurate loudspeaker than Mike's, I'd be interested (note that in my opinion the clinical or flat sounding so-called 'accurate' speakers most people think of are not truly accurate, as they do not sound like live music). I very much doubt that will ever happen at a price I can afford though, barring some major technological breakthrough.

You are like me, and a number of others out our way, in that we are unashamedly Lenehan enthusiasts.  We like to think the above is true, and they certainly are accurate, no doubt about it.  However there are many many speaker makers out there like Mike whose stuff is not part of the marketing hype and I have zero doubt there are speakers out there better.  And amongst the speakers that are well known (ie part of the marketing hype) there are some such as Rockports (admittedly at a hefty price - but the Mira 2 is not too bad)  that people whose ears I respect assure me are up there.

Thanks

Bill 

Hi Guys

Just got the update on my Limited's.

The wiring harness on the first pair evidently took over 15 hours to complete and Mike has been hard at it doing the second pair, but is confident it will be done in time for the GTG tomorrow. 

I am getting really excited about hearing these beasts.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

Time for a little update on these speakers, Robs ML2 Ltds that is.  They now reside in the Castle Cafad, complete with silver bypass cap upgrade.  Vocals are just out of this world.  When it becomes available they will also enjoy the spring suspension upgrade as well.

I tried ML3s in my lounge but they were just too big for it, the ML2 Ltds are a much better fit.  I'm currently running them with a Groß DAC and the Sansui 907NRA and I am closing my eyes and drifting away with the music on every single song.

Now this, ladies and gents, this is enjoying the journey.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Time for a little update on these speakers, Robs ML2 Ltds that is.  They now reside in the Castle Cafad, complete with silver bypass cap upgrade.  Vocals are just out of this world.  When it becomes available they will also enjoy the spring suspension upgrade as well.

I tried ML3s in my lounge but they were just too big for it, the ML2 Ltds are a much better fit.  I'm currently running them with a Groß DAC and the Sansui 907NRA and I am closing my eyes and drifting away with the music on every single song.

Now this, ladies and gents, this is enjoying the journey.  

A spectacular speaker, welcome to the club ?

Mine have CAST, and I thought it was worthwhile, especially given the very cheap price (relatively speaking). It doesn't mean your investment in CAST is wasted - it just makes the best even better.

• Like 1

So where is Rob181? Aint seen him around for awhile and is he still a Lenehan fanboi?

These speakers you wax lyrical about, are they still available/current model or has Mike got newer models in the pipeline?

25 minutes ago, Luc said:

So where is Rob181? Aint seen him around for awhile

Last I read on here is that he's busy posting on other forums.  It would be good to see him chime in to this thread for a special guest appearance...

41 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Last I read on here is that he's busy posting on other forums.  It would be good to see him chime in to this thread for a special guest appearance...

QLDers Kaynin...a lot of em are cracked like Rob trust me. Thankfully there's a border and a timezone they can't workout which kinda keeps em in their own world up there...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Luc said:

These speakers you wax lyrical about, are they still available/current model or has Mike got newer models in the pipeline?

From what I can gather the ML2 are still being made as is. You can work out with Mike how far you want to go with the Limiteds, ie what you want to include.

But looks like he is in the process of trying out new tweeters and drivers. 

In the ML5 thread he talks about a Satori project and how he would like to try the Seas Exotic T35 tweeter with them. So best get in touch with him if you want more info.

• Like 1