Sign in to follow this  
davidg2152

Fiddling again..... Denon 4308

So I recently finished my HT room and have been having a ball in the back room but for some reason I am getting the itch to fiddle with everything again.....

System:

65" Panasonic ST50

Denon 4308

Tivo

Ps3

Yamaha HD1300 CD player (bit sick at moment, with discs not loading but HD fine...)

Speakers:

Twin SVS NSD 12's

B&W 683 centre / floorstands

4 x Yamaha 800's in ceiling.

I have been toying with an AVR upgrade or adding a power amp to run the 683's a bit better (punchier but rained in up top).

I would also like to dable with online audio sources but am unsure what exactly I need to do there.  I have managed to get the network integgrated but the PS3 doesn't want to play with FLAC files.

I guess in short is it worth bothering (as I am not keen on upgrading speakers) or is there some ideas of what I could try to get the best sound for $$$$.

Thanks

Dave

Canberra

hmmm - if you're not keen on upgrading the speakers (which is where I would start), my other suggestions include

* Getting your room measured and then adding appropriate sound treatment options

* Getting your TV calibrated professionally.

These 2 things will make a big difference to sight and sound.

I'm not familiar with the Denon 4308. Which version of Audyssey does it run?

you have a good amp, that can connect whatever you want to do eg external amplification via pre-out, or analouge in via ext-in.

Or, you can continue to use the quite good burr-brown dac's in the 4308, or the reasonable amplification.

The denon 4308 will deal with the 44.1/a6 bit flac files (albeit painfully from the user perspective), and with 192 hz lpcm files (although not so sure about 192 hz flac files).

So, what do you want to tinker with?

What decibel level do you like to listen to (how loud)?

Stereo?

home theatre?

computer audio feeding stereo?  if so, what formats?

Benje

If you have not already done so, run the Audyssey set up in accordance with the guide listed at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/5700 (check to see if there is a later version).  Following the setup steps can make a difference to the results.  If you are reasonably happy with your current calibration, but also feel like trying again, back-up your current settings, just in case you want to go back.  It is a while since I have done it, but you can back-up the Denon settings across the network.

Also, see if you can borrow a power amp off someone and see what that does. 

all good advise above. the 4308 is a very good avr. you can certainly add a power amp if so wish. there are a few rotel multichannel an 2ch amps going cheap in the for sale section that would work well with your b&ws 

The 4308 has Internet Radio, can you use that as your online source?

It also has the ability to connect to a networked media source. Mine is playing from my Foobar PC at the moment.

I had a full 600 series B&W setup running from this amp before. (including the 683's) i never found it wanting power. I added a Rotel RMB 1080 and found it didn't gain a lot, almost felt like I lost bass. I would try a NAD Power amp personally.

I reckon the 4308 is great as a stand alone source. It is a million times more usable than the new 3313 which my brother has - cant do anything with that

Thanks heaps guys for all the valuable advice.

I built the back room myself and had the "L" plates on the whole time.  Here is the thread;

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/30551-rear-effect-in-ceiling-speaker-placement/

I should clarify I guess.  I mostly watch movies and have not been overly impressed to date with the "steering" of the 4 x rear effects speakers.  Now I am not sure if I have mucked something up or not.  I ran the auto set up and it came out terrible, absolutely all over the shop.  The amp uses MULTEQ XT.  I could have not done it right and have downloaded the Audiossey links for info (Thanks heaps!).

I have set the amp up to be included in the network via a Netgear router but mostly use the PS3.  The sound via the PS3 is not good at all.

I was using a coax cable from the PS3 to the amp and a HDMI to the panel.  I bought a powered splitter on the weekend and now run HDMI to the amp for sound as well.

Sorry to harp on.

In short I want to make sure I have set it all up to its full potential and if anything else some advice on the best way to listen to music via the Ps3 (or whatever) in the best format I can wrangle up.

Thanks again for all your input.  I do listen to music and movies on the louder side of things as well.

Cheers again

Dave

Why don't you run HDMI direct to the amp and then HDMI out to the TV?

why don't you run the hdmi into the receiver for audio and video, and feed hdmi video out to your tv.  you are making things unnecessarily hard, and coax might limit your audio depending on the source and codec.

make sure you have the sub's volume about right when you do audyssey.  the manual will tell you what to do

OK.  I was advised the chip in the Denon (video wise) was not the best and to run direct to the TV (this may also have something to do with the 3D side of things as well?)

OK.  I was advised the chip in the Denon (video wise) was not the best and to run direct to the TV (this may also have something to do with the 3D side of things as well?)

yeah well if the denon doesn't support 3d (hdmi 1.4a) then that would be right.

yeah well if the denon doesn't support 3d (hdmi 1.4a) then that would be right.

The kids watch it.  I could not give a toss about 3d to be honest :)

3D is a different issue altogether if wish to run 3D obviously the denon wont pass 3D in which case you would use a hdmi splitter before it ie ps3 to splitter, one hdmi to denon one to display.

you can set the denon video processor up so it doesn't do anything scaling wise for that source.  However, I don't do 3D at all, so I don't have your other issue (does the PS3 do 3D?).

(does the PS3 do 3D?).

yes. but it's irrelevant to the OP anyway apparently.

Thanks guys,

I ran the Audiossey again last night and was suprised by how much it changed everything.  I have left it alone and will focus on getting the subs tuned in right following the downloaded guide.

I have been attempting to get the PMS to stream spotify as a test case but have had no luck.

One thing the Audiossey did pick up was that my rear speakers were down far too low.  I am sure that will give me a result.

I will have a look into the amp video chip bypass as I really don't watch bugger all 3D (and neither do the kids to be honest).

The Ps3 seems to be making things hard to stream via spotify and the like.  Is there an easier way known?  Do some of the new DVD players allow this type of integration?

Thanks again gents it is all appreciated.