AMP GTG

bhobba

Hi Guys

Chatting to Mike yesterday and we both thought it would be a good idea to have an amp GTG once my Limited's are finished.

I have the Arion 250 and 500 coming in, as well as my Naquadria, NAKSA, and Topaz monoblocks.  Cafad may be able to either come on down and bring his Daynes Ampino, or send it down, which should make for an interesting comparison.

Mike may even have the ML1 Limited finished by then.  At the last GTG my favorite system was the ML1's and the Topaz monoblocks - can hardly wait to hear them with the Limited's.

Anyway things can be firmed up more once the Limited's are finished.

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba

In round numbers when will the limiteds be done Bill, are we talking in a few weeks time or so? Any interest in a few more DIY amps to join the party?

Hi Chris

Hopefully next week some time.  But the holdup is likely to be the Arion amps.  Mike Kallelis hand builds each amp and is moving factories right now so its unsure - one month maybe - two months at the outside.  Also I would like the ML1 Limited's to be there so maybe July-August some time.

I don't think there is any restrictions on any amp joining the party - we simply need to ensure we don't have so many you cant hear them all.

Hugh mentioned he had a new NAKSA he was very impressed with and we may be able to get that into the mix.

Thanks

Bill 

I just happen to have a pair of AJs Hypex Ncores on my shelf as well.  Assuming AJ is happy with the idea of course, (but I suspect he will be).

This could turn into a week long "Gold Coast Amplifier Festival" if you're not careful Bill! ;)  

That works for me by the way, I've discovered that I have cousins that live 5 minutes from Mikes, almost within walking distance.

if Jeff comes down I'll expect him to bring the big RG's and blow everything out of the water.

Is that the Halcro's?  Heard those - not bad but thought others had the edge.

Thanks

Bill

I just happen to have a pair of AJs Hypex Ncores on my shelf as well.  Assuming AJ is happy with the idea of course, (but I suspect he will be). This could turn into a week long "Gold Coast Amplifier Festival" if you're not careful Bill! ;)  That works for me by the way, I've discovered that I have cousins that live 5 minutes from Mikes, almost within walking distance.

Hi Cafad

AJ is one fantastic guy.  He has already been really kind and sent the Hypex up for me and Mike to check out.  Really good value for money but I did find them a bit dead compared to the much more expensive stuff we compared them to.  AJ did mention however a power supply mod that improved them so its probably worth hearing them again.

Thanks

Bill

In round numbers when will the limiteds be done Bill, are we talking in a few weeks time or so? Any interest in a few more DIY amps to join the party?

Hi Chris

Hopefully next week some time. But the holdup is likely to be the Arion amps. Mike Kallelis hand builds each amp and is moving factories right now so its unsure - one month maybe - two months at the outside. Also I would like the ML1 Limited's to be there so maybe July-August some time.

I don't think there is any restrictions on any amp joining the party - we simply need to ensure we don't have so many you cant hear them all.

Hugh mentioned he had a new NAKSA he was very impressed with and we may be able to get that into the mix.

Thanks

Bill

I'm keen as a bean to hear that new Naksa - also Cafad - of course cool with the Ncores touring :)

AJ

I'm keen as a bean to hear that new Naksa - also Cafad - of course cool with the Ncores touring :)

Yea - must chat to Hugh and see what can be arranged.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Guys

Just got off the phone chatting to Hugh.

He will be sending some modules up to Clay who will be building an amp with them.

Hugh is really pleased with his new amp - thinks its significantly better than his previous ones.

Thanks

Bill.

I have almost killed myself twice trying to carry my Plinius SA-Reference on my own.

If I can get some help to move this 58kg behemoth, I don't mind bringing it along. 

As a bonus, it works well as an electric heater for winter ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Hugh

He got the module but is a bit busy with other stuff right now.

I have been assured it will be ready for the GTG which, since Mike is now going on an overseas trip, the GTG is slated for a bit later at about late August early September.

I haven't mentioned it in this thread but a big thanks needs to go to Hugh who supplied the modules for free just for this GTG so people can hear it.  I get the option to buy it if I like it,  Hugh is pretty confident I will, and so am I for that matter,

Hugh really deserves our thanks for his generosity, and I am sure I speak for everyone in thanking Hugh for supplying it to the GTG.  Hugh, like Mike, runs a small outfit and doesn't have heaps of stuff on hand for review etc.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

Ok, I'm in.  Couldn't make it in June or July but by August anything is possible.  And I really want to hear this new Naksa, and the new ML2's, and the little 250W Arions, and the ML1 Limiteds, and pretty much everything else!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bill, how many amps are going to be at this GTG?

I ask because I have had an offer of some Perreaux Audiant gear at a fairly low price (no figures yet, the offer seems to have come about because one of the guys at Perreaux found my "Addicts Guide" thread so I see it as a rather nice gesture).  Also I'm starting to lose track of how many other components I could bring along, so if I can get down for it (and I'm going to try damn hard!) I may have a full ute once more. 

I'll leave the Halcro at home though, I'm not sure Rob's back could handle the strain a second time.

Hey Bill, how many amps are going to be at this GTG?

Don't really know mate.  But I think maybe 10 max.  There will be the HS-500's, RS 250's, the NAKSA, Earls Topaz, and the Naquadria from me.  So, with only 5 left, I would say we would probably have to limit it to at most two from you and maybe one from anyone else.

Thanks

Bill 

• Like 1

• Volunteer

Don't really know mate. But I think maybe 10 max. There will be the HS-500's, RS 250's, the NAKSA, Earls Topaz, and the Naquadria from me. So, with only 5 left, I would say we would probably have to limit it to at most two from you and maybe one from anyone else.

Thanks

Bill

10 amps FMAB!!

How long will this gtg last for, 2 weeks?

• Like 1

I have 2 pairs of diy monoblocks in the one enclosure

This project - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/204069-wire-low-power-ultra-high-perfromance-lpuhp-16w-power-amplifier.html

Which is about to become available again and a higher powered version to follow as a commercial product

And a high powered lme49830 based amp feeding lateral FETs with fully regulated input and output stage.

I think the low power amp would be most interesting because its measured performance is pretty astounding.

Don't really know mate.  But I think maybe 10 max.  There will be the HS-500's, RS 250's, the NAKSA, Earls Topaz, and the Naquadria from me.  So, with only 5 left, I would say we would probably have to limit it to at most two from you and maybe one from anyone else.

Thanks

Bill 

Two!  two? 

But that would be showing favouritism.

Two!  two? 

But that would be showing favouritism.

Gee mate I didn't realize there was going to be such a demand for amps to be heard.  I am happy to drop the Naquadria because it doesn't go too well with Mikes cables anyway.  It will be basically what can be got through on the day.  10 does seem to be pretty much an upper limit though.

I think the details need to be sorted out when Mike gets back - after all its being held at his place.

We might need to hold it over two days if there is a big demand.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Ah, just realized that post of mine could be taken the wrong way, a whingy, whiney way which was not my intent.  What I meant was, choosing two amps would be like showing favouritism to my components, how could I expect the others to understand?