NEED HELP CHOOSING A PRE/PRO ROTEL/MARANTZ/DENON

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The computer program does have a large effect on the sound, particularly where you have a "difficult" room that needs taming. Audyssey Dynamic Eq does to the sound what no pre/pro + power amp (however heavy) can do without it.

I know what you are saying Brodricj, are you talking about HT or listening to stereo, I mainly listen to music and Heath said that was important, the improvement now using a power amp is huge, hate to put a figure but I think at least +25%. Can't say what XT32 does for HT, can't imagine I would get that <+25%>  with just XT32. Remember there are guys here with $30K+ stereo systems. Do they need XT32 for there systems  to sound great, I doubt it,

Cheers Joey

I know what you are saying Brodricj, are you talking about HT or listening to stereo...

It all depends how your speakers react with the room: in my case my main speakers get a minor tweak from Eq, my other main speakers get a major tweak from Eq....the speakers sit in the exact same location but they react differently with the room. Audyssey normalizes the setup which is something that can't be done by pre-amp/amp alone.

It all depends how your speakers react with the room: in my case my main speakers get a minor tweak from Eq, my other main speakers get a major tweak from Eq....the speakers sit in the exact same location but they react differently with the room. Audyssey normalizes the setup which is something that can't be done by pre-amp/amp alone.

ht definitely benefits of audyssey. no room is perfect. even if go a long way towards room, setup and treatment audyssey can add that final piece of finesse.

2ch is a different beast though, while audyssey can make sure eq'd to the movie studio's intent. this eq curve isnt necessarily something applicable to 2ch. and just in my experience today reminded audyssey can rob some life from music and render a bit flat vs un audyssey eq'd result. need to rely lot more on room, setup, treatments for 2ch in my experience :)

Back again guys!

Ive narrowed it down to getting one of the following Onkyo receivers: TXNR3008 or TXNR818. I can get either receiver for around $1250. Which receiver would you guys get if in my situation? Being used for HT use, lots of 3D movies etc. My poor little room is only 3.5m X 4.2m : (. From memory both have XT32, are 1.4 hdmi, and i think the 818 has 4k upscale but not sure about the 3008. Do either of the onkyo's have wireless music stream from your iphone like the Marantz receivers do? (like airplay).  Any real difference between the 2 models?? Any opinions appreciated, cheers

Edited by bmwheath

If they're both new - get the 3008. Better implementation of XT32 from what I understand. The 4k upscale on 818 is meaningless imho.

Mind you, I think the 3008 might be physcially larger, so if size is a limitation then the 818 may be easier to squish in.

If they're both new - get the 3008. Better implementation of XT32 from what I understand. The 4k upscale on 818 is meaningless imho.

Mind you, I think the 3008 might be physcially larger, so if size is a limitation then the 818 may be easier to squish in.

Hey Juicester you have the Onkyo 818 right? Does the Audyssey xt32 adjust each sub individually or just both subs as one? Would the 3008 adjust the 2 subs individually as its a more extensive XT32?? 

* And juicester the 3008 is a refurbished unit for $1250 but as new from a seller i have bought from before.

Edited by bmwheath

Hey Juicester you have the Onkyo 818 right? Does the Audyssey xt32 adjust each sub individually or just both subs as one? Would the 3008 adjust the 2 subs individually as its a more extensive XT32?? 

* And juicester the 3008 is a refurbished unit for $1250 but as new from a seller i have bought from before.

bang on mate. The 818 does both subs as one from what I understand. I imagine that this isn't the case for the 3008. Doesn't worry my as I only have 1 sub - but for a multi-sub setup it;s obviously important.