Sign in to follow this  
m_ani3

new sub needed

Ya could pick up a new Vaf Platform2 sub for under $2100 I reckon. I like mine.

Remember.   Aside from having a correctly set up (measurements) subwoofer .... The best upgrade to achieve high-end bass is multiple subwoofers.

The only reason to get a bigger driver or amp is if you require more output or less distortion or both.

So I am in a similar situation and prefer to buy, rather than DIY.  I have been there, done that.  I've just sold a pair of REL T3's and am now going back down the single sub route and getting a SUB 12 from Paradigm with their proprietary PBK based on the recommendation of my dealer, and reviews.  This PBK has been reduced significantly and is now $99 on top of the price of the sub.  Well worth it for people who are either not willing or unable to do room equalisation or for those who simply couldn't be bothered.

Once this arrives, I will ensure I give you all my feedback.  I am very hopeful.

Timos.

Well worth it for people who are either not willing or unable to do room equalisation or for those who simply couldn't be bothered.

"Room equalisation", is sometimes thought to be a different thing to simply setting up a subwoofer for an appropriate response.

An (anechoic) flat subwoofer measured in my room has peaks and dips up to at least 15dB.     I'm not happy with there being 30 times more energy output at one frequency than another.   :-S

Paradigm with their proprietary PBK

So, hang on.  You ARE doing "room eq".    :thumb:

So I am in a similar situation and prefer to buy, rather than DIY.  I have been there, done that.  I've just sold a pair of REL T3's and am now going back down the single sub route and getting a SUB 12 from Paradigm with their proprietary PBK based on the recommendation of my dealer, and reviews.  This PBK has been reduced significantly and is now $99 on top of the price of the sub.  Well worth it for people who are either not willing or unable to do room equalisation or for those who simply couldn't be bothered.

Once this arrives, I will ensure I give you all my feedback.  I am very hopeful.

Timos.

yep tools like pbk are cheaply available and easy to use making integration of sub into a room and system childs play. am with you too much better one good sub than going the route of 2 lesser subs :)

I have to say, that depending on how we define "lesser" subs, then this is bad advice.     More subs offer drastically better in room response, and will swamp other performance differences between most subs.

Reasons against the above:

If you were using "lesser subs" well outside their comfort zone

Very strange room configurations

Only very small 'sweet spot' required  (response only at one area of the room will be flat)

3 subwoofers is ideal in most average rooms, IMHO.

3?!  Really.  

My 3x peerless 10" subwoofers, are small, cheap and relatively lightweight  ... while not SOTA compared to monstrous high sensitivity designs - of which you will still need 3x + .... they conquer a lot of issues of regular people.

• They are lightweight ....   MrsWantsMoore can (lift them to) vacum under them
  • They cost about $150 plus amps ....     A decent stereo 100w amp will run 2x
  • They are small   .....   50cm cube, 14L sealed internal volume, 36mm MDF walls)
  • They are unobtrusive and high WAF   .....   downward firing drivers, they look like little foot stools)

3x of them produces 105dB in room flat to 30hz @ low (5%~) distortion, using about 100 watts each  (Half the driver Pmax)....  in-room sensitivity of the 3 is approaching 90dB / 1w.

They could go similar to 20hz with about 6dB less output, but 30hz is almost too much for my poor house if the recording has some oomph there.

:thumb:

Edited by davewantsmoore

yep tools like pbk are cheaply available and easy to use making integration of sub into a room and system childs play. am with you too much better one good sub than going the route of 2 lesser subs :)

This would depend on how good the single sub is. Let's say that single sub was a decent 12" sub at around $1k. In that case, definitely agree because you can't really get much below $1k without is being a serious compromise. However, double the budget and the contest is now not so clear. In many situations, the more expensive single sub might just have more output. Then it becomes about the benefits of multi subs vs a single where the output might be the same. In other words, it could go either way - without some specifics there isn't always a clear winner.

I have to say, that depending on how we define "lesser" subs, then this is bad advice.     More subs offer drastically better in room response, and will swamp other performance differences between most subs.

Agree in that situation where multiple subs smooth out response effectively, but it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes when you pick the best spot for the first sub, you can't get a significant improvement beyond that with other spots that are practical. So I now suggest that people measure their room, or have it done, before deciding. The ideal situation is to measure comprehensively, and then integrate the subs as required. By integrate, I mean be willing to put a sub in the ceiling, under the floor, in a robe - wherever required for the best result. Then do as many as you need to smooth out the response in the seats that matter. That number could be anything from one to five (or more if you are my kind of crazy). Most people don't want to go that far and so it comes down to using just as many as they need.

Hmmm tech article perhaps!

This would depend on how good the single sub is. Let's say that single sub was a decent 12" sub at around $1k. In that case, definitely agree because you can't really get much below $1k without is being a serious compromise. However, double the budget and the contest is now not so clear. In many situations, the more expensive single sub might just have more output. Then it becomes about the benefits of multi subs vs a single where the output might be the same. In other words, it could go either way - without some specifics there isn't always a clear winner.

Agree in that situation where multiple subs smooth out response effectively, but it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes when you pick the best spot for the first sub, you can't get a significant improvement beyond that with other spots that are practical. So I now suggest that people measure their room, or have it done, before deciding. The ideal situation is to measure comprehensively, and then integrate the subs as required. By integrate, I mean be willing to put a sub in the ceiling, under the floor, in a robe - wherever required for the best result. Then do as many as you need to smooth out the response in the seats that matter. That number could be anything from one to five (or more if you are my kind of crazy). Most people don't want to go that far and so it comes down to using just as many as they need.

Hmmm tech article perhaps!

agree totally. my point simply is I personally would take the one sub that dug deeper, hit harder and cleaner. than two lesser subs where your same money is spread across two cabinets, two lesser sub drivers, two lesser amps that dont go as deep arent as clean or punch as hard as end result.

it also isnt rocket science anymore to integrate a realy good sub into a room for smooth response back to the listening position. plenty of tools available. also I would say while most people even though a little bit of challenge will probably able to place and integrate one sub into a room, two might be a challenge :)

the other thing with having one really good sub is it shouldnt be seen as a limitation, when budget permits you can always get another :D as I did ..

in regards research harmans white paper on the optimum number and locations of subs is universally acknowledged 

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

4 subs are pretty much optimum, where 2 placed north south works almost as well :)

three would be like having a third leg :D and would only mean youd end up with 4 or something down the track.

Edited by :) al

BK Monolith+ (BK subs have been mentioned earlier) I have the XLS200 (great for music sealed unit nice tight bass, weak for movies in a large room).

Am actually going to step up to either the Monolith or the XLS400 as it goes pretty much as low as the Monolith but is faster/tighter - which is good for my music when I need it.

I heard a SVS PB12-NSD recently and I appreciated what low end grunt it. But I also appreciated what flabby bass is when music was played.

Head over to avforums and there are some decent write ups over there.

Roh

Have a look at this offering from Adelaide Speakers. 

http://www.adelaidespeakers.com/subwoofers.html

IB1550PTL,  two 15 inch subwoofer drivers in this Isobaric design, transmissionline cabinet design. Even comes in kit for for your own build.

custom pick your desired finish for your cabinet.

Edward is very good to talk with & would help you with your requirements.

three would be like having a third leg

LOL.  No, 3 is optimum if you look at "average-standard" rooms covered in the usual papers....  (big call I know as there is hardly such a thing) .... but like Paul said, you have to measure first to hatch a plan.