Sign in to follow this  
SlimLim

Amplifier or Receiver for pc duties

Hey guys,

I want to connect a set of home theatre 5.1 speakers just purely for HT purposes and i want to know the best way i can do it. The speakers require 40-75wrms but i would like to aim for around 100wrms per channel. I am looking for something with 5 channels (front, centre, rear). The sub is active.

My source will be a pc soundcard and i want it to be compatible to use blue ray technology. Also like the signal to be digital. (sound card hasnt been chosen yet btw)

My questions are: would an integrated amplifier or the receiver be a better option? And are there any recommendations?

Nick

The cheapest way to go is get a HT reciever which'll take the raw digital feed off the sound card and run the speakers.

The other way to go is have all the HT procesing occur on the sound card and, if you can get analogue outputs for each channel from the soundcard, simply drop those outputs into a series of power amps. Volume would be controlled on the souncard so you'd only need bulk grunt....but the souncard would be more expensive and you'll need five power amps...

Either way......without a budget it is difficult to recommend som tools...

Integrated amps are 2 channel only. If you want 5.1, you need a receiver.

My source will be a pc soundcard and i want it to be compatible to use blue ray technology. Also like the signal to be digital.[/b]

Forget it, it's currently not possible, at least not with the criteria you've set.

Sound wise, the only point of going to Blu-ray is to get TrueHD or the DTS Master sound formats.

These formats can't be sent by a PC in digital format at the moment. There are some products on the horizon, but the're probably 6 mths away.

On the other hand, if you're not interested in the HD sound formats, normal Dolby & DTS can be output via SPDIF, so any AVR will do the job.

Thanks guys. I've been around long enough in audio forums that i should of added more details to my initial post. I guess my option would be to get a receiver. Admittedly i can't remember from our old AV if i can bypass all the processing that happens, will I be able to do this?

So basically i'm just using the AV for amp and volume duties. I am just trying to limit the amount of signal processing.

Also are the M-Audio soundcards better than the SB X-FI cards?

Most receivers can bypass the inbuilt processing, got 'Straight' mode on my Yamaha I believe it is. I let the receiver do all the processing mind you and let the sound card just do straight through. Just try different ways and figure out what works best with you.

X-Fi cards generally have not the best in the way of software, general pain at times. I've had no experience with the M-Audio cards, but believe they are better from what I've heard, but mind you a bit pricier as well. I myself have a bgears b-Enspirer for my sound duties. Can be had for under $200 and is a great little card. Got simple yet powerful software, variety of different processing options and has flatter response range than the X-Fi range, and also lower THD as well in most case. Works brillantly with Vista 64-bit to boot.

Check it out here: http://www.bgears.com/b-enspire.html

And full detailed review here: http://www.overclockers.co.nz/ocnz/review....earenspirer0104