Sign in to follow this  

I've been looking at getting a new amp. Will be using the pre outs to my Emotiva XPA-5 power amp. 7.1 speaker setup with projector. Oppo 105 blu ray.

From what I see the pros & cons are listed below. I guess the only thing steering me towards the Onkyo is the rave reviews I've heard about Audyssey room correction. Haven't heard much about Pioneers MCACC correction. Is it really that important? If anyone has anything to add in regard to pro's & cons feel free to do so.

Yamaha RX-820 http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage/rx-a820/

Pros - 

4 year warranty

Airplay

Low power consumption

Remote app

Cons - YPAO 

Onkyo TX-NR818 http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/av_components/av_receivers/tx-nr818/index.html

Pros -

Audyssey XT32 room correction

Cons - 

1 year warranty

hdmi issues

can produce heat

Edited by mdm1979

Not sure if it helps, but my old man just go the RX-2073 and loves it great sounding amp packed full of features

Personally I will go for the unit that is the most stable. If the Onkyo does indeed have HDMI issues, then the unit itself won't be any good.  Isn't the Aventage line up the higher quality of the Yamaha AVR series?

Even though in my opinion the Yamaha AVR line up they are generally weak as far as power is concerned, Getting a Yamaha AVR with pre outs is a must for external power amp :)

In the event should I ever need to replace my UMC-1 (this will be when it becomes too unreliable in terms of working), I will be looking at a Yamaha Aventage series with pre outs.