Onkyo TX-SR606 problem....Hdmi video signal loss

Hi all

just wondering if anyone else has had the dreaded video signal loss from the Hdmi board in their Onkyo....

I had no idea about this problem until couple of days ago.....

my Onkyo has been sitting dormant for nearly twelve months, plugged it in yesterday and could not get a signal from Hdmi output...

did a little research and found a bunch of people with same issue on a ton of other forums.....one even saying there was a recall on the product because of a faulty Hdmi board....

cant help but feel a bit jipped because ive had issues pretty much the whole time and always thought that it was because of my ten metre Hdmi run and now that my warranty is just out i finally figure out that the issue was with my receiver.....now its died :mad:

one good thing though....there is a ton of fixit videos on youtube Here

so has anyone else had this issue? had it fixed out of warranty/in warranty or attempted the fix??

just interested to know

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris

I had the same issue with my 606 and sent it off under warranty to have it fixed.  From memory it was one HDMI input that was not working and I could have fiddled with the inputs to work around the faulty one.  They sent it back but the issue persisted and eventually they replaced the unit with a new 609.

Hatters

Hi Chris, it's been a long time!

But , the warranty should not be like a brick wall and should still be covered if onnly out by even a few months.

Try , you never know.

But , the warranty should not be like a brick wall and should still be covered if onnly out by even a few months.

Try , you never know.

They will cover it. You just can't take no for an answer. Amber tech are painful to deal with. They will try and back out at every given opportunity.

Try , you never know.

Gday Joz yes  been a while

this audio thing is an addiction so ive been trying to stay away to avoid temptation.....i neither have time or the money required for this hobby!! atleast for now anyway.

i will try to get it fixed, but im not sure i can be bothered dealing with the hassles involved with that type of arrangement....im tempted just to source the 5 caps and replace them myself!

Hi Chris

I had the same issue with my 606 and sent it off under warranty to have it fixed.  From memory it was one HDMI input that was not working and I could have fiddled with the inputs to work around the faulty one.  They sent it back but the issue persisted and eventually they replaced the unit with a new 609.

Hatters

gday hatters

seen this type of answer a lot on some of the US forums....bit **** really

They will cover it. You just can't take no for an answer. Amber tech are painful to deal with. They will try and back out at every given opportunity.

yes i know ive had this type of issue with other items.....i just cant be bothered my time is too valuable to muck around with bullshit service reps. unless i can get some easy to deal with people im just leaving it.....

what really jacks me is my brother inlaw just purchased a brand new latest model Onkyo and had the same problem....it was this that mainly alerted us to my issue.

so Onkyo have been well aware of the faulty Hdmi boards for atleast 4 years from my investigations yet they are still going in the new models!!! WTF very poor indeed

I was considering an Onkyo & was willing to run the risk but after reading this thread & associated issues with with the distributor ill be going with a Yamaha. A 4 year warranty with Yamaha shows great confidence in their product.

You know the irony with Onkyo is that there was a time alot of their products were really good stuff. I still got my old Onkyo 595 stored away in the garage and got it kept there for a raining day just in case I need it to fall back on.

Personally now, when it comes to AVR units, for many of them, there is so much crap and alot of fancy bells and whistles that reality is most peopel won't even use, all at the expense of a decent power supply, or even a quality made product for that matter.

Prior to getting a Yamaha 663 at the time (which I disposed of last year), I was considering going for another Onkyo, but at the time, alot of the issues I read about with people having certain issues, I decided not to chance it.

Personally, AVR units are so much more complicated today compared to 10 years ago, its no wonder there will always be issues. And HDMI is the biggest issue of them all from my point of view.

There used to be a time in home entertainment that you plug something in, it worked, no issues. Now today, different story.

Just had my Integra 80.2 replaced with a brand new Integra 80.3 by Ambertech because of a faulty HDMI, if you read the oversea's forums it's a really common issue with Onkyo's and Integra's!   

Just had my Integra 80.2 replaced with a brand new Integra 80.3 by Ambertech because of a faulty HDMI, if you read the oversea's forums it's a really common issue with Onkyo's and Integra's!   

And isn't Integra supposed to be the higher quality product range?

I think if you look hard enough... You'll find bad stuff on just about all the brands..... Unless you spend the big bucks on a high quality unit.... Like you say most of the bells n whistles you don't use and will never use, but a lot of the time I've bought higher models for say extra zones or pre outs..... All the other crap they can keep....

After all this I'm not sure I'd buy onkyo again.... I've had Yamaha avrs before so I'll probably go back I reckon

Hi Fi store I spoke to said they are easing off on selling Onkyo. Said they have had issues and to check out the forums. Any brand that can offer a 4 year warranty like Yamaha stands out of the pack.

Ironically my Onkyo 875 HDMI has worked perfectly for the last 6 years but the HDMI boards in both my Benq W10000 AND my Panasonic Viera 50" plasma have both failed in the last 6 months. (both well out of warranty).

So it's not only Onkyo that have faulty techbnology.