Sign in to follow this  
Cafad

Power Amps, An Overdue Addicts Guide

It is very musical and conveys the emotion very well, it is just not coloured, I read varies peoples opinion about the amp and in my opinion it shows other issues with the overall system make up .it goes very well with my valve icon audio pre. my speakers are the Aurum Cantus grand supreme and the tweeter is so clean with excellent detail , I think that it matches the amp very well. if you get a chance to hear one at home do so.

My concern is that my Ming Da preamp MC-300-PRE has an output impedance of 600 ohms which would appear to present a difficult load to a power amp with an input impedance of only 10 Kohms?

You can get a home demo from Magenta hifi, you would be able to try it at home for a few weeks, if it is not suitable mark will refund your purchase price. this was offered to me when I made my initial enquiry.

You can get a home demo from Magenta hifi, you would be able to try it at home for a few weeks, if it is not suitable mark will refund your purchase price. this was offered to me when I made my initial enquiry.

Thanks I'll make an enquiry.

Meanwhile, can those with more knowledge than I have comment on the impedance matching issue?

I did a Google search on Longwood audio and Halcro and all I got was some old forum posts from various places and nothing really useful.

The Magenta site has some minimal product descriptions and no pricing at all.

I guess more info may be available in time.

My concern is that my Ming Da preamp MC-300-PRE has an output impedance of 600 ohms which would appear to present a difficult load to a power amp with an input impedance of only 10 Kohms?

It's not possible to present a difficult load at an amplifier's input, because the term 'load' refers to the termination impedance.  

For a preamp, a 600 ohm output impedance is a bit higher than normal but there shouldn't be any problems driving 10k ohms. The main consequence of a 600 ohm driving impedance is premature HF roll-off, which will occur if you're driving a long or high capacitance interconnect cable, or into a power amp with an input filter that's designed to be driven from a significantly lower output impedance.

If you keep your interconnects short there should be no problems.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zakblue
      Price: $1300 Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup is available Suburb or Town: Balwyn State: Victoria Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: NLR  
      These were purchased from this SnA member here:

75W per channel with 4xEL34 tubes on each amp. 
      Lightly used to power my left and right mains for HT duties.
      Happy to demo for serious buyers. Weight is 30kg each.

• By cordlessmatt
      Item: Rega Exon 3's, with pre or without
      Price Range: Negotiable
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info:
      Looking for a pair of Exon 3's, hopefully in Melbourne, in as good condition as I can find. If there's a pre with them, will consider, but without is just fine 🙂
    • By MAXXX
      Item: HALCRO Logic MC20, power amplifier
      Price: $2000
      Item Condition: Excellent 9/10
      Reason for selling: Too many amps
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Purchased app. 4 months ago from Simply HIFI here in Perth.
      Power Output: 400W RMS continuous into 4 Ohms Distortion THD: <0.007% at 1kHz at all powers up to 400W into 4 Ohms, <0.03% at 7kHz at all powers up to 400W Unbalanced and Balanced Voltage Inputs Mains Voltage: 100 – 120VAC or 190 – 250VAC Remote trigger switch between On & Standby Command Functions: Switch between On & Standby Ability to inhibit individual amplifier modules Amplifier module will indicate Over Temperature condition Halcro Reliability Assurance Service Dimensions
      Weight: 49.8lb or 21.1 kg Height: 7 inches or 169mm Width: 17 inches or 438mm Depth: 16 inches or 410mm   Local sale preferred (demo, proper check-up etc.), but happy to send as well...Currently hooked on ProAc Studio 140.
      Lots of reviews on Net.
      Asking price is less than half of other Halcro MC20 advertised on Ebay...

Note: No original box, comes with the manual. Minor imperfection on front  left corner as seen on the  photo.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By SoundGuy
      Item: Mark Levinson No.531H Power Amplifiers
      Price: $12,000 $10,500 $9300 
      Item Condition: As new (10/10)
      Reason for selling: NLR and Need Money
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Bought in April this year from a European authorised dealer  to power my Usher BE-10 speakers but the ushers are so efficient they don’t benefit from a lot of power these behemoth can put out and I need money for a Japan holiday. Australian retail price for these is over $20,000; 

Mark Levinson No. 531H Monaural Power Amplifier 

The No 531H and No532H are both true mono-block designs with independent power supplies for each channel and are rated at 300W per channel into 8 ohms. The transformers and power supply designs deliver unsurpassed dynamics and transient responses for today’s demanding audio formats and provide stability with even the most difficult to drive loudspeakers. Fully differential circuitry ensures that balanced input signals stay that way throughout the signal path and traditional Mark Levinson “Hurricane” binding posts offer secure termination to the loudspeaker. 

The four amplifiers in the No500H Series are the definition of truly outstanding performance in their respective categories. Drawing from the Mark Levinson heritage, while utilizing a new, straightforward, balanced, current-feedback design creates a new series of amplifiers that must be listened to in order to be fully appreciated. The final result is impressive even for the Mark Levinson high standard of excellence. 

Main Features 

•Reliable, high-power in four different channel configurations provide ideal solutions for any system 
      •Isolated chassis and signal grounds minimize noise, optimizing detail, even at low listening levels 
      •Fully-differential circuitry with both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA inputs 
      •Ethernet and 12V trigger control capability for system integration 

Inputs one balanced XLR input per channel; one unbalanced RCA input per channel 
      Speaker Connections one pair “Hurricane” loudspeaker outputs with banana-plug sockets per channel (banana-plug socket not available on the 230 VAC models) 
      Communication and Control one Ethernet 10Base-T port; one 3.5mm mono (tip/sleeve) mini plug trigger input, 3-12Vdc; one 3.5mm mono (tip/sleeve) mini plug trigger output, 3-12Vdc; 3-pin IEC standard power connector 
      Rated Output Power into 8 ohms 300W/ch (20Hz to 20kHz at 85dB, reference level: 2.83 Vrms 
      Input Sensitivity 2.83Vrms output at 130mVrms input 
      Gain 26.8dB 
      Input Impedance 60 kΩ (balanced); 30 kΩ (unbalanced) 
      Power Requirements 100V~, 120V~, 230V~, factory set for destination country; 
      Power Consumption 300W 
      Height (with feet): 7.65" (19.4cm); (without feet): 6.97" (17.7cm) 
      Width 17.75" (45.1cm) 
      Depth 19.83" (50.4cm) 
      Weight Net Weight: 52.5lb (23.8kg); Shipping weight: 62.5lb (28.4kg) 
      Tags: Krell, Mcintosh, audio research, luxman, accuphase, esoteric   Photos:  
    • By Raffinator
      Item: Vincent Audio SP-T700 Monoblock Amps (silver)
      Price: $2,200 pair
      Item Condition: Very good. 2 years old
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info: For sale are my pair of Vincent Audio SP-T700 Hybrid Monoblock amplifiers in silver. I am the original owner, and they are 2 years old. Selling due to a change of configuration.

See https://www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-lines/tubeline/sp-t700.html for full details.

See https://funaudio.com.au/brands/vincent/ for link to current importer.

I have the original boxes in good condition, and I'm willing to ship at the buyer's expense. 16kg each in two cartons.

Photos: