vinyl storage. how do you do it?

5 hours ago, rx7rotary said:

After IKEA Expedit crashed on me (luckily without the records I decided to go something more solid, cheap, industrial looking :)
ba4939e2f0906898cd759e89f7bd8270.jpg

If the Expedit fell apart, particularly with no records in it then it was never put together properly. They don't simply fail and they are very, very solid indeed and can take an enormous amount of weight.

Well it did fall apart :)

If the Expedit fell apart, particularly with no records in it then it was never put together properly. They don't simply fail and they are very, very solid indeed and can take an enormous amount of weight.

On 18/05/2018 at 8:58 AM, rx7rotary said:

After IKEA Expedit crashed on me (luckily without the records I decided to go something more solid, cheap, industrial looking :)
ba4939e2f0906898cd759e89f7bd8270.jpg

I used to use one of these shelving units from super cheap auto.  They can handle a hell of a lot of weight.  My wife approved until we moved house which has now occurred.  Only issue i had was sometimes when not being careful, or after a couple of rums, when removing a record it would slide against the metal edge of the upper shelf or lower shelf which wasn't ideal.  

Edited by Piko

2 hours ago, rx7rotary said:

Well it did fall apart :)

I'm sure it did but that doesn't mean you have to get something 'more solid' as you said you have as the Expedit is a solid as can be if it's put together properly.

I'm sure it did but that doesn't mean you have to get something 'more solid' as you said you have as the Expedit is a solid as can be if it's put together properly.
Thank you for your lesson buddy [emoji14]

• 2 months later...

I was finally able to beg my Uncle in law to come out of retirement to build another 6 of my custom record cabinets - I have quite a few now-   thanks Frank!!     so happy

I can now replace the Ikea 4 x 4 and 2 of the 2 x 2 plus additional storage       Now for a complete re-arrange of all my records.  This is gonna take a while, but also be fun :)

before.

35241908011_e1926964bc_b.jpg

now - 

44101518851_55e6476ef3_b.jpg

44101519771_d0c2df4e6d_b.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, proftournesol said:

Our new house created the opportunity for some built-in record storage. I can't die before I fill it!

The CDs live in a large plastic crate behind the couch!

IMG_3770 (1).jpg

Very stylish & effective.

• Like 1

I built my own shelving from heavy duty MDF and fixed it all to a brick wall. Split into rock/pop, classical and electronic/dance, then alphabetical. The apparent curvature is the mobile phone lens, not the shelves I can assure you!

2018-08-22 19.32.30.jpg

Edited by Solanum
  • Like 1

I built my own shelving from heavy duty MDF and fixed it all to a brick wall. Split into rock/pop, classical and electronic/dance, then alphabetical. The apparent curvature is the mobile phone lens, not the shelves I can assure you!

1240284523_2018-08-2219_32_30.thumb.jpg.43bb9c2d0391a6b18239b5924a83a834.jpg
Ikea 20180823_163918.jpg
  • Like 2